"The Spectacular Spider-Man - Volume Two" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 17, 2009.

?

Rate and Comment on This DVD Release

1. *****

75.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

25.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

The Spectacular Spider-Man swings into his second DVD release!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Spectacular Spider-Man: Volume Two
    Studio: Sony Home Entertainment
    Release Date: March 17th, 2009

Synopsis: This second story in a series of action-packed adventures finds our web-slinging friend battling a batch of Super-Villains created to destroy Spider-Man. Not only does Peter Parker have to survive the onslaught of The Sandman, Shocker and the unstoppable Rhino, he can't seem to find a date for the fall formal! When Spidey finally comes face to face with the villain responsible for the mayhem, he makes him an offer he doesn't think our hero can afford to refuse. Will Spider-Man do the right thing?

Bonus Features:
    -Trailers

Please post only comments of the DVD in this thread. This thread is only for actual discussion of the DVD release. To discuss the included episodes, please use the talkbacks linked below:

#6. The Invisible Hand
    #5. Competition
    #4. Market Forces

Discuss This DVD!

Related Threads:
    -The Spectacular Spider-Man: Volume Two DVD Review (Spoilers)
    -The Spectacular Spider-Man: Attack of the Lizard DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Spectacular Spider-Man: Volume Three DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion. Please keep your posts the thoughtful, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material. We will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. Please keep discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Pepperidge

Pepperidge New Member

So... is anyone actually going to bother buying these individual releases? I'm really curious about some of the restored footage, and whether or not they'll still be bridging the commercial breaks for each episode.

3. HadesSphere

HadesSphere New Member

These discs are the TV cuts, not the movie cuts.

I asked Jennifer L. Anderson (Production Assistant) what happened, and she has no idea.

4. Pepperidge

Pepperidge New Member

I know that they're in episode format. This is why I'm curious about whether or not the episodes were re-edited, especially since the discs still feature a "Play All" seamless function. I can't even find any you-know-whats online, so I suppose I can just watch one of the discs at work tonight, heh.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2009
  5. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Well if they're not re-edited with any special nuggets added, then I can just take mine back to the store. Glad I still haven't opened them, and I've still got their episodes DVR-ed. I'll still keep "Attack of the Lizard" which I've of course already opened, then skip the fourth volume, and just wait out the complete first season set.

6. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 New Member

I'm considering if I should buy it or not. But I want to know if the volumes will be uncut, have additional/deleted scenes, if real gunshots are used, and if it will flow like a movie, like "Attack of the Lizard."

7. HadesSphere

HadesSphere New Member

Nope, it's the episodes. Still trying to find out what happened here.

8. Pepperidge

Pepperidge New Member

I'm guessing Sony actually read the reviews for the first disc and realized that the movie format thing was a bad idea.

9. HadesSphere

HadesSphere New Member

I don't know what happened, but I know that this is not what happened.

10. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

HadesSphere may have confirmed that that isn't why they ditched the movie format, but where are the negative views so I can have a look at them? That is, if they're even out there at all.

If they still have added sound effects or whatever, then perhaps I'll still hold on to them and not return them.

11. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

How do you mean? Please explain. Surely the fact that volumes 2, 3 and 4 aren't utilising the movie format indicates that Sony has decided against the idea.

It looks to me as though the season sets will now feature the restored footage instead. Could that be the case?

12. HadesSphere

HadesSphere New Member

Just saying that I know that reviews on a few websites didn't affect the decision, because marketing decisions like this are never made like that.

13. Pepperidge

Pepperidge New Member

14. Unlimited Spidey

Unlimited Spidey New Member

I'm Netflixing these but the wait says "Very Long" so they're in high demand.

15. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 New Member

Did anyone purchase volume two yet? If so, can you please post a review and any comments you have on it? :)

16. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

That's good to hear. This series needs all the support it can get.

Like SpaceWay said, will someone who's bought this release and/or volume 3 please let us know what this release has to offer in the way of new footage (if any is included)?

17. lumpmoose

lumpmoose New Member

I don't argue that Sony's DVD release plans have been moronic, but I don't think the problem is the movie format specifically but the fact that there's only 3-4 episodes per volume. It's a small, but important distinction because the reedited "full-length movie" format is the only justification Sony has for double-dipping. If Volume 2 indeed has the wrong edit, I think that justifies a recall.

I've purchased volumes 1-3 (I didn't get home early enough to pick up my package from the office today, so I can't check). I probably won't buy the box sets unless they're Blu-ray. I actually liked the Attack of the Lizard edit personally, but could have it either way. Sony still sucks for doing it though and will never gain back all the fan goodwill they've lost from the stunt.

18. JeffBreakdown

JeffBreakdown New Member

I was going to ask about that...

I put these at the top of my queue a while back, and usually they ship on Monday any new releases so I receive them on Tuesday, but this did not happen this time. Then I look on my queue today and it says very long wait, which at this point seems pointless, because I've had Spawn 3 as the number 1 spot since i got a NetFlix account in October, and it's still sitting there...Very Long Wait.

The only reason I was renting these was the see the movie format, then I was going to buy the season when it was released, but if there's no movie format, it's really not worth it to me.

19. Unlimited Spidey

Unlimited Spidey New Member

I wonder when we will see the full set? Will it be early, mid or late summer. I don't even want to think about when we'll get season 2.

20. D Dubbs

D Dubbs Wish Upon A Star

Crap, these are the episodes? And I already opened them so I can't return them. Way to go Sony. :mad: