"The Spectacular Spider-Man" News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

Fortunately, the decision isn't entirely up to Rollman and Yost. As I understand it Disney* XD are the people with finally say on whether the show gets picked up or not. If Disney want's more TSSM and Rollman & Yost don't want to co-operate, well lets just say Disney's got lots of folks with experiance in the animation biz, Rollman & Yost are far from inexpendable.

*AKA the people now signing Rollman & Yost's paychecks, AKA the people with a prior workking relationship with Greg Weisman.

2. KCJ506

KCJ506 New Member

I don't care about the Black Panther but serious Spectacular Spider-Man needs to continue. There's a lot to be told yet. I don't get it Spidey is success GUARANTEED, very popular character and animated show.

Times like this make me wish that the show was still on CW4kids. I think they would have actually renewed it. One thing that puzzles me is that Wolverine and the X-Men got a second season renewal before it even aired in the states. What determines that and why haven't they done it with this show? (since the only place in the world who haven't aired all of the episodes is the US)

3. lumpmoose

lumpmoose New Member

http://www.mania.com/yost-iron-man_article_112635.html
    And from the Newsarama article:
    http://www.newsarama.com/tv/091029-animated-shorts-marvel-animation.html
    Ironically, Frank Paur was one of Greg Weisman's closest partners on Gargoyles. There are definitely some interesting dynamics going on.

4. Mister Intensity

Mister Intensity New Member

The big problem regarding Spectacular Spider Man is Sony. Ultimately they made the decision regarding the fate of the show. It's the same thing that killed the MTV show. Anything Marvel does with Spider Man involving television, animation, and movies, Sony has to be involved. That's why Spider Man haven't appeared in Marvel's DVDs or in Marvel Super Hero Squad. Until Marvel sorts out the television and animation rights situation they have their hands tied in using Spider Man in anything other than periodicals.

5. GregX

GregX New Member

Sony has been out of the picture since July.

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada New Member

Oh, seriously. There's no basis for the idea that these guys have it in for the series in any way; if the channel wanted more, doubtless they'd make it. Good business.

That said, it's a throwaway summation moment in the article, not a direct quote, so it's possible that's not their meaning. One would expect such news would merit a bit more space.

7. Pepperidge

Pepperidge New Member

OK, I think I've managed to dig up Disney XD's mailing address. This is what should be written on any letters to the station:

Disney XD
    MORE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN PLEASE!
    3800 West Alameda Avenue
    Burbank, CA 91505

Although I want to get 200% verification on that address before I post it to the Facebook group. Of course, I doubt any letter coming from Canada would carry any weight for an American broadcaster...

8. Mister Intensity

Mister Intensity New Member

That could explain why this Spider Man series is done. Sony's involvement or lack of involvement is probably a big factor as to why this show was canceled, regardless of other factors.

9. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

Not really, Disney can easily commision Greg & Co. to make a new season without Sony's involvement.

10. Anwar

Anwar Lord of the Vindaloovians

Seriously, they're DISNEY people! They can just make the show themselves.

11. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 New Member

I hope this is not true.

12. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Marvel Animation Age caught up with The Spectacular Spider-Man supervising producer/story editor Greg Weisman concerning the "done and over with" comment apparently made in regards to the current production status of the The Spectacular Spider-Man animated series. The comment, made by Marvel Animation President Eric Rollman and Chris Yost and featured in a recent Marvel Animation-focused interview at Newsarama, resulted in a massive fan outcry for the series. Weisman had the following to say, as seen below.

"I don't know what to say," says Weisman. "Last I heard Disney XD was waiting to see how the series did in the November sweeps."

"If Eric [Rollman] and Chris [Yost] know for certain it's dead, it's news to me," he continues. "But they are insiders at Marvel, and I'm an insider at... well... nowhere, really."

He concludes, "I still hold out some hope that we'll make more The Spectacular Spider-Man episodes, but of course that decision is way out of my hands..."

When asked to elaborate on the "done and over with" comment, Marvel Animation President Eric Rollman told Marvel Animation Age that "no decisions have been made either way" regarding the fate of the series, adding that he appreciates the showing of support for The Spectacular Spider-Man. As of now, there appears to be no official confirmation on the status of The Spectacular Spider-Man, but stay tuned for further updates.

Comments?

13. W.C.Reaf

W.C.Reaf Active Member

By "out of the picture" GregX meant that Sony gave back the TV rights (which include animation) to Marvel in July.

So anything that happens to SSM now has nothing to do with Sony.

14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

*has a very slight sigh of relief*

15. carnage89

carnage89 New Member

Well... at least its not cancelled.

16. Spanish Megatron

Spanish Megatron Sííííííí

Well that's some good news. Even if we don't get a renewal what rules out a sequel series? I'm thinking of something like Ben 10 Alien Force but with better writing.

17. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

Why not ? Transition from Spectacular to Amazing or something like that.

The current show needs more seasons though.

18. Pepperidge

Pepperidge New Member

That's pretty much exactly what I was expecting them to do all along. After all, the show was originally supposed to be "The Amazing Spider-Man". Plus they'd probably need to make a new theme song anyway.

Thank you James for squeezing a decent amount of optimism into the situation.

19. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Active Member

Thanks James. I have a little bit more hope, which means there's still hope. Kudos for jumping into action so fast and talking to Eric Rollman and Greg!

20. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada New Member

I would guess that Newsarama's interviewer assigned a bit more certainty to some offhand remark they made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.