1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Smurfs and the magic flute movie

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by DerekPowers, May 27, 2001.

1. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

Okay, who has seen this movie? I've had it on tape from since i could remember, and since i am watching "the vision of escaflowne" now, i was in the mood to watch another midevil cartoon, so i remembered the smurf movie and watched it again. First off, i think its a great movie. its written really well, and the dialogue isn't so kiddie that adults cant enjoy it. And the art is amazing (imo). I think the backgrounds and scenery and castles are just beautiful, and very hand-made looking, almost like something out of those legendary times. the only thing that annoyed me was the smurfs voices and singing, that was annoying.

BUT then at the end during the credits it says "the english adaption.....by....". i was like "What?!" english adaption? was this movie from another country? Do any of you know? Then i started to think and realized the smurfs voice's were different from the cartoon (different actors and in the movie they have this squeeky echoing effect to their voices) and the smurf village looked different from the cartoon and there was no smurfet or gargamel. Plus for some reason the movie looked older than the series, maybe its because its an old tape, but unfortunately it was taped off tv and the tape stopped before the end of the credits, so i didnt get the year it was made. So this is leading me to suspect that the movie was made before the series in another country. In the movie it doesnt even seem like the smurfs are the main focus of the story. they have a big role, but it seems yohan and pee-wee are the main characters. That just leads me to the conclusion that the moive was dubbed to english and the smurfs struck a cord with the american kids, so an american company (hanna-barbara) decided to pick it up and make a series out of it. And speaking of hana-barbara, the animation in the movie and style of the backgrounds didnt seem too hanna-barbarish, but it may just be because it was a movie. does anyone know for sure the answers to all these questions? Who can help me uncover the mystery behind the smurfs and the magic flute? thanks for your responses. peace.

2. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Oh, well, what ever floats your boat, I guess. eh-um...ok, on to the reply...

The Smurfs orginate from Italy, which may explain the english adaption thing.