1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Similarities and Difference between Ducktales (2017) and the Powerpuff Girls (2016)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by thomas2313412, Sep 26, 2017.

1. thomas2313412

thomas2313412 Active Member

Since we have two reboots in this current age ,The Powerpuff Girls (2016) Developed by Nick Jennings and Bob Boyle, A reboot of the 1998 series originally created by Craig Mccracken.

And Ducktales (2017) Developed by Matt Youngberg and Francisco Angones,A reboot of the original 1987 series created by Jymn Magon who might just be forgotten because the Duck universe and premise of the series is created by it’s true creator Carl Barks.

[​IMG]

Now let’s compare the similarities and differences between two series

Similarities:

• Both shows are reboot of the old shows
    • They both make animation errors like the other shows.

• Both shows almost replace the original casts with new ones (the rest I will explain in the difference)

• Both shows are updated to aim for the newer generation.
    • Both shows designs are different than the original

• The characters of both shows have different personalities than the original to fit in with the current times.

• Both shows have character traits different from their original (like with the Powerpuff girls from the reboot series such as Bubble with blue hair ties and is considered ditzy and less intelligent but has a huge temper,Blossom with a round bow and is considered a nerd and a neat freak who wants things to be perfect and Buttercup with a cowlick and is also sassy while the Triplets from the Ducktales reboot like Huey wearing a red short-sleeved shirt and cap and is considered the smart one of the group,Dewey wears a blue long-sleeved T-shirt and is the determined adventurer and Louie who wears a green hoodie and is a laid back easy going scam artist though Hewey is the only one regaining the cap like his original counterpart)
    Differences:

• The powerpuff girls first aired in 1998 while Ducktales aired in 1987,The reboot Powerpuff Girls aired in 2016 while the reboot Ducktales aired in 2017.

• The powerpuff Girls reboot is considered merchandise driven which is used to sell toys such as the energy projection toyline for example unlike the original show where it gains merchandise after the shows success especially that most merchandise almost erase the classic version of the Powerpuff Girls from their merchandise and replace them with the reboot. The Ducktales reboot however has limited merchandising because Disney is more confident on the show itself such as a pencil bag during D23 ,some merchandise also give respect to the original series including other Disney Afternoon shows such as funko pop and the Disney Afternoon collection video game by Disney interactive and Capcom

• The recasting of the three powerpuff girls with younger actors is used for no good reason that it cause anger to the original actresses of the girls with one of them Tara Strong quote ‘A stab in the hearts’ including the original creator though some of the casts of the original show reprise the old roles like Tom Kenny as the mayor of Townsville,The recasting of the Ducktales characters with new but experienced actors is used for a good reason ,Because some actors retired and some actors like Alan young (original voice of Scrooge) and June Foray (original voice of Magica Despell and Ma Beagle) passed away and I have to say Doctor who actor David Tennant does fit the role of Scrooge because he is actually Scottish though I wonder why Disney didn’t hire Terence McGovern to reprise his role as Launchpad but at least Beck Bennett did his role well and also Tony Anselmo reprise his role as Donald Duck.

• Because of Cartoon Network no longer using Action shows with such violence,The Powerpuff Reboot ends up as slice of Life show with less action instead of being an action comedy show like the original which pretty much angers fans of the original.But the Ducktales reboot regains the adventure element like the original and also pays homage to the source material of Carl barks .

• The Powerpuff girls reboot design is imitating other Cartoon Network original show designs especially that the characters emotions faces are so out of character that some of them look like Emojis,But the Ducktales reboot designs are it’s own designs even though it’s different than the original show designs and it gives respect to the element of its source material that is comics as shown with the comic panels from the opening and the ben day dots in the shows background.

• One character was removed from the powerpuff girls reboot and that is Miss bellum which according to the fans is used for no good reason as the crew claimed in quote “We felt like Ms. Bellum wasn't quite indicative of the kind of messaging we wanted to be giving out at this time, so we sort of had her move on" "And that was a good choice I think on our part" which is considered a negative response to both fans and critics,Duckworth which was the character from the original series doesn't appear in the reboot though he possible reason is that the reboot Mrs Beakley already occupies Duckworth’s occupation as a servant especially as bodyguard though the crew of the series said that he will appear very soon,I hope.

• The characters from the reboot Powerpuff Girls does not have any characters traits like their original counterparts while the characters from the reboot Ducktales regain some of the characteristics from their original shows counterparts like Scrooge still being a miser and Donald still with his angry temper.

• Fans of the original Powerpuff Girls show hate the reboot because it’s not like the original while fans of the original Ducktales like the reboot along with the current generation

And that’s all I can say about the difference between the Powerpuff Girls (2016) reboot series and Ducktales (2017) reboot series

If there is something missing in the Similarities and difference list or if there is an error write down in the comments below.

#1 thomas2313412, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

This is a ridiculous thread.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

3. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

The sad part with The Powerpuff Girls 2016 is that if the show took place in a separate continuity from the original series like Duck Tales 2017, then it might actually be a way better series, as well as justify many of the changes made. But the show does this soft-reboot tactic where it retroactively rewrites the original cannon just to fit whatever changes the new crew has, it makes the show feel like a cheap imitation rather than it's own thing. Remember, people don't dislike this show because it's not like the old show, they dislike it because it tries to be too much like the old show, without understanding of why the old show worked. Meanwhile whatever new thing they try feels forced and fanficy (Bliss the 4th Powerpuff Girl is the most recent example).

Duck Tales 2017 has a clear fundamental idea of the original show's premise and story, yet it's still different enough to be considered it's own show, since it throws out the original story, and starts fresh with a new continuity. This gives the show much greater freedom in what stories it can tell since it's not beholden to anything done in the original series, and is actually much closer to it's original source material, the original Uncle Scrooge comics by Carl Barks. Unlike PPG16, where it still has to adhere to the original cannon as close as it can, thus making it more rigid.

Also, Duck Tales 2017 uses modernization of the original series in a way that's actually subtle and believable. Unlike PPG16 where they just try to shove in as many memes and trends in as possible while taking things away for confusing reasons, DT17 makes changes that actually make sense. As good as the original was, Huwey, Dewey, and Louie were pretty one dimensional characters in the 80s series, to the point where they may as well have just been the same character copy-pasted three times. The new Duck Tales gives the boys distinctive personalities and appearances. They no longer look and act exactly the same as one another, and can actually be considered characters rather than clones. Webby is the same deal, she went from the annoying token girl character, to a kooky, somewhat awkward shut-in with some actual depth. The humor is also different from the original series, but in a way that feels clever and funny on it's own. PPG16's humor is just references and gags that come out of nowhere with little to no build up or context. DT17's humor is much more random than the 80s show, but these gags are actually well timed and have proper context.

So that's pretty much why the Duck Tales reboot succeeds where the Powerpuff reboot fails. Because it attempts to actually be it's own show rather than than try and imitate it's predecessor. Meanwhile Powerpuff 2016 feels too afraid to be it's own thing, so it has to ape from either the original series, or any cartoon currently popular at the moment. And judging by some of the more recent episodes, it's clear the crew has just given up. They probably want this show to end so they can move on to better things.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I think the biggest issue is that PPG 2016 was made to sell toys. The new Duck Tales was made by people who were fans of original and not a heartless money grab.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Especially that DuckTales 2017 was more highly anticipated than PPG 2016 since one of the main reasons why it got a lot of fan buzz was due to the announcement of David Tennant voicing Scrooge.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #5 AdrenalineRush1996, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  6. thomas2313412

Yes,I see what you mean, Even if the Powerpuff Girls is or not is not connected to the original series it will end up as a failure and for me it will be it's own series and not connected to the original one but is not faithful as well. Especially that this show feels like it is written by many bad fan fiction writers which explains the Jared controversy and the Bliss as a mary sue dispute.

( And speaking of Soft reboot I wish that both Marvel and DC should end their old and current continuity with a new one and just give a hard reboot to start over and replace with reimaginings of the original heroes and villains but this part is for a different topic for another day)

I agree with your own opinion ,The Ducktales reboot succeed what the PPG reboot didn't because the Ducktales reboot is not only faithful to the original series and the source inspiration that is Carl Barks's Comic book Stories but it also wants to be its own show and not to be a copycat of it's predecessor and adjust with the current times.

And for the PPG 2016 reboot series yes,I agree. It tried to be successful but failed because it tried to be modern but didn't ,It's ripping off episodes from the original shows ,It's copying styles and jokes from other other popular cartoon network shows with mindless humour from Teen Titans Go! and the characters aren't faithful to the original. If what you are saying that the crew of the PPG crew has given up and just want to end the show and move on to other things is true then I hope it would happen because if it does,I hope the crew will make an original show and not be ripoff/reboot of 'someone' else's other property.

Yeah,I agree with that ,I wonder if Cartoon Network will have no choice but to cancel the PPG series since it might be considered a failure by 2018 unlike Teen Titans Go! because it is popular for young audience but hated by both adults and old fans of the 2003 teen titans.

That's true the biggest hype for the ducktales reboot is that David Tennant is not only known for his role as the tenth doctor from Doctor who and Inspector hardy for Broadchurch but also his character Scrooge McDuck is Scootish and David is actually Scottish

7. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

I haven't seen much of DT17 yet (but from what I have seen, it looks really interesting!) but I can say that one thing that separates it from NuPPG is that it actually has respect for both itself and the original series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. thomas2313412

That I agree

• Like Like x 1
  9. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Even when Ducktales is older than 2016 PPG it manages to do much better in the modern era.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

There are no similarities whatsoever AND DuckTales (2017) kicks far more ass in every sense (quite early on, as well - which is essential to critical and financial success for a cartoon in general!) than PPG (2016)'s pathetic excuse of an ass could ever hope to. THIS is something I am proud to treat as FACT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

I'd argue that in some ways, 2017 Ducktales is better than the original cartoon. One way would be giving Webby some actual depth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #11 VG_Addict, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  12. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

Saying the powerpuff girls and other characters don't have the same personality is wrong but is actually part of the problem. They do have similar character traits and personalities and seem the same at first glance. Problem is those traits are exaggerated, often to the point of being a parody.

Now how is PPG not an action comedy, it is still one for the most part and the original had quite a few slice of life episodes. Come on one of the best episodes of the original is the rainy day episode and that was a slice of life episode and far from the only one. The new series goes a bit further on the slice of life direction but is still very much an action comedy.

PPG 2016 is a lazy show. There is a lack of passion in it. The writers do like the original but it seems that they rely on people already knowing these characters so they don't have to reintroduce anyone. Also it feels like fan fiction, it is close but not close enough. And that makes it worse it's a cheap imitation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. thomas2313412

I agree with that