1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rust-eze Brothers in Cars 3

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Carlos Gutierrez, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Carlos Gutierrez

Did the late Tom Magliozzi already finish recording Rusty's limited amount of dialogue during "Cars 3" before his death on November 3, 2014 with his surviving brother Ray doing Dusty's dialogue and with Dusty looking slightly bigger than Rusty since Dusty does most of the talking?

2. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It turns out that Tom Magliozzi's few lines in the movie were culled from old Car Talk radio broadcasts. From this interview with Comic Book Resources:

I had wondered the same thing when I saw the movie. They started production in 2014, but I was pretty sure they wouldn't have had enough for a recording session by the time Tom passed away. Since they credited him, I figured it was older sessions, but kept forgetting to dig out an answer until now.

3. Carlos Gutierrez

What about for when both brothers speak simultaneously?

4. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. It is the norm for animated feature films to have cast members record all their lines separately (and, increasingly, this seems to be happening more for TV shows too). In the bonus features for Finding Nemo, someone mentioned that Albert Brooks and Ellen DeGeneres didn't meet each other until the premiere of the movie, even though they're the 2 main characters and spend most of the movie talking to each other. I don't believe Tim Allen and Tom Hanks worked together on any of the Toy Story movies. It was unusual for Billy Crystal to insist on recording his lines with John Goodman for Monsters Inc.

Bottom line is that they pulled lines from Car Talk episodes for the bits when Tom M.'s character speaks, but I'd bet that Ray M. recorded his lines separately. He might have had Tom's dialogue to work off of, but even if he didn't it wouldn't have mattered much.