1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

The rest of C.O.P.S. on DVD

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Ioz, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

WOW. I didn't get the old sets because I wasn't really sure I wanted to pay that much for a nostalgia trip, but this is a seriously nice deal.

2. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

I got the Mill Creek Volume 1 set featuring the first 33 episodes. After watching a couple episodes, the picture quality appears to be pretty good despite the number of episodes per disc. The only extra on the set is a "Hey Vern, It's Ernest" episode. It would be nice if all the public service announcements get released on the second volume.

I didn't get the Best of set, but it looks like the episode list for that is:

1. The Case of The Stuck-Up Blimp
    2. The Case of The Crime Circus
    3. The Case of The Baffling Bugman
    4. The Case of Berserko’s Big Surprise
    5. The Case of The Bogus Justice Machine
    6. The Case of The Prison Break-In
    7. The Case of The Pardner In Crime
    8. The Case of C.O.P.S. File #1 Part One
    9. The Case of C.O.P.S. File #1 Part Two
    10. The Case of The Blurbandits
    Bonus Episode from Hey Vern, It’s Ernest

Volume 1 has been between $10-$15 every where I've checked online.

3. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

I haven't received my copy of "Volume 1" yet, but apparently the "Best Of" set has been delayed. Of course, from what one reviewer has said on Amazon.com, apparently the "Best Of" disc is just a repackaging of the 3rd disc from from the Volume 1 release (possible with the same disc art as that release), meaning that none of the episodes on the exterior case are on the disc.

4. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

According to cheapdvdpacks.com (which might be run by Mill Creek, but I'm unsure), The Best of is just the 1st disc (not the 3rd) of the Volume 1 set. Given the little price difference between the two, I'm not sure why somebody would choose the Best of set over the Volume 1 3-disc set. Maybe, down the road, the Best of set might pop up at a few places like Target for $5.00 like some other Mill Creek sets.

5. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Well, from what the person on Amazon said, it sounds like there was maybe some error in the packaging of the set, so the episodes that are in the "Best of" set are from the 3rd disc. I'll have to wait and see when I get mine what's going on with the disc.

6. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

I'm guessing Mill Creek meant for disc 1 to be in there whether it is just a random error or one that ended up happening with all the "Best of" sets at the plant.

7. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

I just got my "Best Of" set yesterday and the disc is the first disc from the Vol. 1 set (when I popped it in my PS3 it even started right where I had previously left off with Vol. 1 Disc 1, meaning that it looks like Mill Creek just printed up extra's of Disc 1 and then just applied the "Best Of" sticker to it).

8. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

I see right now Amazon has Volume 1 on sale for $6.99. I paid $10.49 for it and I thought that was pretty good price at the time. I hope we don't have to wait too long for Volume 2.

9. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

I just piggy-backed it to another order I placed with Amazon. What a deal! It'll be nice to see this show again after so long.

10. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

I got this response today via e-mail from Mill Creek on C.O.P.S. Volume 2:

"Thank you for contacting us with your question. We are working on creating the necessary materials this month to release the final 33 episodes on September 13, 2011. We hope we can count on your support for the release."

I haven't seen it pop up on any website stores yet, but I'm guessing it will soon.

11. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Thanks for keeping us updated. I am glad we are going to be able to finish the series this time (even if the special features aren't as strong as the first release).

12. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

13. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

This will be nice to have. Finally I'll be able to find out what episode I've been remembering from C.O.P.S for the last 20 years.

14. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

I've watched through a few episodes of my Volume 2 set. So far, so good. The only extras are a slide show of a few pieces of art and a trailer for Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors Volume 1 (it says available now, but doesn't come out until early 2012). "The Case of Mace's Romance" actually appears to be in better shape on this set than the Shout! one.

15. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

I just received my C.O.P.S. Volume 2 a few days ago, and it is nice to finally have this series on DVD in it's complete form.

I haven't had chance to check out Mace's Romance yet, so I'm not sure if, when you talk about quality, you are talking about the picture or the audio (remember on the Shout set the audio was mixed in such a way that TV stations could play it in mono with no trouble, but on home surround systems, unless you didn't have your system set to stereo or multi-channel stereo (that some surround systems allow you to do so that if you have a party you can have the music playing out of all the speakers all around the room, instead of being just at the front of the room, and the system mixes the sound so that it is more mono than stereo, but still stereo) the episode played back with the voices on on the left speakers and sounding very hollow with some effects, but then the majority of the effects were on the right, which led to a very hollow surround sound to the episode, but all the other episodes were mixed into 2-channel mono. I realize that there might've been something in Shout's rights about not being able to remix the original sound tracks into 2.0 or 5.1 surround, but I never did understand why Shout couldn't have told their computers, when they were outputting the DVD file, to output the sound in 2.0 mono, since I'm pretty sure that all the other episode masters, given their age, would've had the audio tracks mixed the same with the voices on one channel and the effects on another. That was common practice back in the 80's when you were doing linear editing.

16. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

I'm talking about the audio on the episode. It sounds much better on the Mill Creek release to me. Let me know what you think after you've watched it.

17. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

The audio on Mace's Romance is actually mixed properly for a 2.0 mono mix, unlike Shout's release where they just sent out a 2.0 stereo mix that caused the the mix to be split and give us that odd surround sound that just echoed.

But the trade-off is that Mill Creek compressed the video a lot more than Shout did. It's too bad that we couldn't have received a compromise of both versions.

18. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

I've made it through disc 3 and didn't notice any issues with the episodes. I'm in the middle of watching the disc 2 episodes now. I did notice a couple glitches in the first part of "The Case of the Iron C.O.P.S. and Wooden Crooks" (a sound distortion for a couple seconds and some pixilation for a couple seconds a little bit later).

19. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

I noticed that issue on Iron C.O.P.S, so either there was an error when Mill Creek digitized the master tapes, or the error popped up while they were burning the DVD master for the manufacturering company.

20. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer