1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Real Ghostbusters" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Michael24, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Remember how they were going to release the set to stores one Steelbook at a time? Well, that idea must not have sold as well as the Complete Set, so forget it. The Complete Set is on its way to Real Retailers now!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Real-Ghostbusters-The-Complete-Series/12401

If you missed the last preorder discount, like I did, don't miss this one, especially since it's way lower.

2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Now, wait a minute. They said that the complete series set was coming to retail, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be pulling a HIT Entertainment with the whole thing. For that reason, I don't think we should jump to any conclusions until there is something official to be said.

3. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I think they're jumping to the complete set as opposed to further volumes is because most people are most likely aware that the complete series exists and are waiting for that. People didn't for the single volume release because by now it should be public knowledge the whole thing's available in one box.

4. gobo

gobo Member

American residents looking for a deal on a brand new set should look into Buy.com. They have it for preorder, to be released September 29, for $106.99 + free shipping. Unfortunately, they don't ship internationally. :shrug:

5. gobo

gobo Member

For tomorrow's retail release of the Complete Series set, check here for the best online deals. Non-American buyers, be aware that many but not all of these stores offer international shipping.

6. AnimationX

AnimationX R.I.P Tangath Toborn

Hmmmm, I have the original Time Life release of The Real Ghostbusters so I don't think there is any reason for me to pick up the new release of this series.....or is there? Anything cool being added that was not added to the 25 disc set from last year that I don't know about?

Any information would be fantastic.

7. gobo

gobo Member

Nah. It's just wider distribution for people who don't want to pay an arm and a leg to Time-Life.

8. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You'll probably still be paying about the same price (maybe even a bit more) for the "Firehouse Box Set" that you would ordering it from Time-Life. And with Time-Life there is (or at least, was) a four-payment installment plan that made it a little easier.

9. gobo

gobo Member

Not at all. The full set is being sold factory-sealed at Amazon for $113.49 (w/ free shipping to US-residents). Even using one of Time-Life's coupon codes, you still couldn't get it nearly that cheap.

10. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm surprised. Maybe they have it cheaper, but I'm sure it'll still be about the same if you buy it retail, like Best Buy or Barnes & Noble.

I'm sure some fans feel tricked, though, because Time-Life originally said the firehouse box set would only be available through them, whereas retail stores would eventually have only the individual volumes. But I don't think it was something they planned all along. I think they were surprised by the numbers for the box set and decided afterward to go ahead and release it in stores after all. In any event, I'm glad I got mine last year from them and don't feel ripped off or anything.

11. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

As a new buyer from Time Life, I got the set for 10% off and I believe it came to about $135. Not too much extra, especially considering I got it a year earlier than the wide retail release.

When you think about all the work put into the special features and packaging, it doesn't sound like an unreasonable price either way.