1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Real Ghostbusters" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Michael24, Apr 29, 2008.

1. gobo

gobo Member

It won't. It would take way too much money, time & effort to remaster one of the many scattered glitches in the set. I say this because they opted to be too lazy for even keeping the SteelBook cases a Time-Life exclusive. By that token, I wouldn't be surprised if Volume Five comes to stores with the Time-Life exclusive bonus disc as disc 5 just so they don't feel obligated to adjust the MSRP. I'm not trying to be negative. I'm just thinking like a businessman.

2. JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer Reviewer, Retroist, Batfan

Man, I've finally finished my review of this for TZ. I do hope I've done this staggeringly comprehensive set justice. :sweat:

3. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

As a fellow UK reviewer, did you mention in your review that technically (aside from your extraordinarily lucky self) non US/Canada customers are unable to get this set directly from Time-Life?

4. JerryvonKramer

No Jon, that's news to me. What's stopping a UK customer just buying it off TimeLife? They work no problem in a region 2 player by the way -- like the Batman: TAS DVDs, they didn't bother to region lock them.

And yes, I feel a bit guilty about having that set for free. I almost want to donate £50 to them just to clear my conscience.

5. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

I'm very surprised you weren't already aware of this, but TimeLife simply don't ship this set outside of North America. There's no real way around this for international customers looking to purchase the set at the original price. The reason I think it's probably best if you mention this in your review is just to make more people aware that non-US/Canada customers only have the option of getting the complete set from third parties. Since you yourself as a UK owner of this set wasn't even aware, this only proves my point even further! :)

I recently came across another product of interest which was being hailed far and wide, only for me to find out international customers were prevented from purchasing said goods - a fact that wasn't made as widely known as it should have.

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Why exactly were the Season 4 episodes slowed down? This happened when they aired on (insert company here) Family Channel, it happened on the Ghostbusters 2 DVD and it happened here. Did they appear this way on ABC? Were the masters recorded like this?

I watched my first Season 4 episode, "Jailbusters." Ghosts putting the Ghostbusters on trial for trapping them is a really cool idea that was completely botched by bad puns and writing. I don't think adding Louis would have been so bad if they'd let him act like Louis. He's too....normal in this cartoon. He's not the guy who got locked out of his apartment in his underwear.

By contrast, I also dared to put in the first "Slimer!" disc and I was surprisingly pleased with it. If you think of it as a surreal alternate take on the show, it works. The characters move more fluidly and their expressions are great.

7. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

From what I've heard, they were at normal speed on ABC. But when they aired in syndication, they were slowed down to fit the timeslot easier. I wished they restored it to it's regular speed, then again there were some things I wished they did. I'd list them, but I would just be whining like a spoiled brat who had everything. This was already the best DVD set from last year if not one of the best DVD sets ever.

Exactly why I put that on my do not watch list. If it was done in Season 1, it probably would've been good. But so many hokey jokes ruined it for me. Like at one point I one of the GBs(Venkman IIRC) asks "What kind of court is this" then a ghost playing basketball shows up... GET IT!

Yeah, Tully was pretty much a waste of a character. If he acted like the accountant from the first movie, he wouldn't be so bad. But in this, he was just there to tie into GB2.

I'm not sure if I said before, but the Slimer shorts aren't that bad. Though I wish Music was still on the show, the personality of his Venkman would've played out so much better than Dave "Slimer Buddy! Give your Uncle Petey a hug!" Coulier.

8. JerryvonKramer

Yes, yes they are.

9. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Like Stracynski stated in the set's interviews, Slimer was never intended to be a character that could carry a show, and the shorts show that... painfully so depending on which one you watch.

10. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

Apologies to non-North-American fans. If I had the money to buy a zillion copies and put them on ebay I would.

As an update to the disc with "Night Game" on it, I got a response back saying there were no replacement discs available at this time. I took that to mean they'd simply send you the same disc again. It makes sense, though. If everyone has it then that's fine for now, of course.

I'd also like to take this time to climb Mount Everest and shout my thanks and admiration for Stracynski, his work, and his very fun contribution to this set. Awesome awesome awesome.

Worth. Every. Penny.

11. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

The UK got Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast when we didn't, so as far as I'm concerned, now we're even. :p

Yeah, it doesn't sound like that bad of a problem anyway. I haven't gotten to that episode yet (Still on volume one. No time!) but when I do I might just tape a piece of cardboard to the bottom of the screen or something to keep it from distracting me.

12. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

Not sure if that makes sense to me yet, only because the episodes on this set that would've needed slowing down (ie the ones that ran around 15 minutes and were packaged as double episodes) seem perfectly fine...whereas the slowed down ones feel like they were already a 22-minute episode, only now stretched to 25...wouldn't syndication have meant trimming time, not expanding it?

13. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I don't even recall the S2-S6 episodes airing in syndication, only on cable (USA, Fox/ABC Family, etc).

I only remember seeing the S1 ABC episodes and the made for syndicated episode during the original syndicated run, unless the newer episodes were added after the local Fox affilate pulled it from the schedule back in the late 80's.

14. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

Great news for all Ghostbusters fans Mattel has just announced that it'll making toys based on both the live action movies and the Real Ghostbusters animated series that will be sculpted by the 4 Horseman who do the excellent Masters of the Universe Classics line. The 12-inch line will debuet in June and the 6-inch line will debuet in July for more info check out this link http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=241&itemid=14026

15. Brad Redfield

Brad Redfield Throws his mighty shield~!

Oh my...FINALLY!!!

All I need is a special edition release for GB2 and my life is complete. :p

I just hope the figures will have articulation and won't be barely articulated statues.

16. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, great. Just as I'm trying to find ways to cut back on spending in 2009, this news comes out. Well, so much for saving money this year. Haha!!! I must have me some Ghostbusters figures. :D

17. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

Well, the figures are going to be avaiable thru Matty Collector.com and if they are anything like the Masters of the Universe Classics line then these things will be awesome. The MOTUC line are both incredibly well sculpted and very articulate, I've seen pics were fans have regreated several iconic He-Man poses with the figures.

My only question is will there be an Ecto-1 in the line.

18. JerryvonKramer

Hi guys. I very rarely do anything to plug my reviews, but I'd love to know what some of you made of my review for this one (it was up last month). It took such a long time to get through all the material, and I know there's some of you here that have been on the same journey as me.

Talkback is here.

I especially want to hear Michael24's thoughts because he seems like the absolute don of Ghostbusters experts on these boards.:anime:

19. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I appreciate the compliment, but I'd hardly call myself anything of the kind. :) I'll give your review a read, though. Hadn't seen it before.

20. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

I have yet to get my Ghostbusters Firehouse box replacement. I was promised that the Ghostbusters Firehouse would be sent to me in December, yet I keep getting delay notices or cancellation notices if I don't call in within a certain numbers of days that I have to keep calling in about. They have to be filling orders of people who just get the regular set with everything included, so there is no way they can say that these boxes aren't around to send me now. I think I'm going to go off on them the next time I call in.