1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"The Real Ghostbusters" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Michael24, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Look up a few posts. Time Life IS releasing it into stores through volumes starting early next year.

2. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

http://forums.toonzone.net/showpost.php?p=3081992&postcount=298

:)

I don't think anyone has yet to report a damaged package or rattling discs. The discs are pretty secure in these SteelBook trays.

3. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

All 20+ discs in my box were 100% safe and secure. The firehouse box had one slightly dented corner, nothing serious.

TimeLife wants to make money. They choose to make their money by releasing their complete series sets directly. They make more profit that way. Later on they release the individual sets to stores, but I think their primary goal is to make more money by cutting out the middle man.

If you really want the show, you're better off buying the complete set on-line. It's going to be packaged well, and if your discs come scratched TimeLife is sure to have a replacement program.

Concerns about shipping aren't well founded anyway. The retail stores have their stock SHIPPED TO THEM, so your only advantage to going to a store is the ability to pick out a DVD case that doesn't make a rattling sound.

4. Tobias

Unless the delivery man brings the package to your door ala Jim Carrey in the opening sequence of the original Ace Ventura, the discs will be fine. They're very tightly secured within the steelbook packaging. There's literally zero room for them to become unsecure within the books.

Besides, getting them in stores means you'll miss out on the ultra sweet box art and bonus disc with the extended interviews/lost pilot. The second Mattel produces an Ecto-1 Hot Wheel, It's going placed right on top of the package.

5. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

LOL. Aaah good times. Anyway! Since the following is what this thread is about, I'll reiterate what my fellow ghostbusters have said. Go to timelife.com and order the complete set for 179 shaboozies if you want the firehouse packaging, bonus DVD, and cool episode info booklet. Otherwise, January 27th stores will have volume 1 alone, with its lovely steelbook case (as Michael24 also adds, in a Vana White Show Room type fashion, but now I'm doing it too because we feel this set sells itself).

I haven't found that yet, but I noticed a frame error on Knock Knock and I was wondering if it was on the master. On a shot of the Doomsday Door just before it opens, one frame of the door runs over, like when Daffy Duck was dancing and the film slowed down so you eventually could see two frames cycle by one at a time.

6. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm surprised Mattel hasn't already, but there's one by "Johnny Lightning." I need to dig mine out and put it with the DVD set now. :)

[​IMG]

Interesting. I didn't notice that. Like, a single frame gets shown twice, and the second occurrence is overlapped with the subsequent frame? I'll have to check that out. (Any excuse to watch "Knock Knock" again. Great episode! :D )

7. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

The thing is that some of us, like me, WANT the firehouse set, but we can't just simply afford a $180 purchase (even if it is in four payments).

So it's not that we "don't care" that we're missing out on this stuff, it's that we can only afford it through the separate volumes.

8. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I understand that. And I didn't mean it in a negative way or anything, just more like "if you don't mind missing out on them," since I know there are some people who aren't really concerned about buying a big fancy set (of anything) with extra goodies and stuff. :)

9. Tobias

Alright, I've gotten past the last season, and I'm going back for the rest of the syndicated run soon. The later episodes aren't as bad as everyone thinks, but there's a very noticable difference between those later episodes and the earlier *scary* episodes.

It's a shame this show didn't get a true series finale, unless you count the final two part episode of Extreme Ghostbusters years later, which, frankly, would have made a great bonus feature to add into this set.

10. Don_East

Don_East A regular character.

I've been picking episodes between seasons, mostly watched the Syndicated episodes, there's still a few episodes I haven't watched yet. After that, I'll probably move on to the later seasons, but still . There is a list of episodes I just won't watch, no matter what.

• Ghost Busted(The Only Season 1 Episode On The List)
    • Baby Spookums
    • Both Episodes With The Jr. Ghostbusters
    • Jail Busters
    • Kitty Cornered
    • Stay Tooned

11. CartmanChick30

Awesome: thanks! ;)

12. Tobias

Ghost Busted: Wasn't a bad episode, but seeing the GB fighting real live bad guys instead of ghosts luckily was just a one episode gimmick.

Baby Spookums: Yeah, you're better off skipping this one. Ugh.

Both Episodes With The Jr. Ghostbusters: Despite their appearances, they actually didn't drag down the two episodes they did appear in, although thankfully they didn't appear in the main show after that.

Jail Busters: Once again, not a bad episode, but Louis is not a character that should have crossed over from the movie.

Kitty Cornered: One of the better 11 minute episodes, actually, at least comedically.

Stay Tooned: Yeah, stay away from that one. It's just one of the most embarrassing episodes made.

13. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

"Night Game" was the most important episode in the set for me, but I have another bug to report, and I'm wondering if anyone else has it. Throughout the episode there's a black bar about an inch think along the very bottom of the screen. It flashes on for a frame every 10-15 seconds (not sequentially every 15 seconds, but more spontaneous).

I'm beginning to think there's something wrong with my copy. I wish there was some way of knowing for sure. Any opinions?

14. xage

xage Member

I'm meticulous with box and perfection.

Im one of those who got it first and posted the actual boxset. All I can say is that it was flawless from the time I ordered the box to the time it reached my doorsteps

The pic says everything

Original page link:

http://forums.toonzone.net/showpost.php?p=3064092&postcount=187

15. TheScarecrow

TheScarecrow The Master Of Fear

I put this on my Christmas List, so not only will I soon have the entire series on DVD, I also didn't have to spend a dime of my own money for it (I love Christmas). :D

16. TheScarecrow

I got it for Christmas, so I'll be pouring over this set all day. Already watched a little bit of the bonus DVD (that original pilot was VERY well done).

17. TheScarecrow

Just played the episode, and it's that way for me too, so it's not just on your copy.

18. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

It's like that for me, too. I think we should all contact Time Life about it. If enough people complain about it, they'd probably issue a replacement disc if it is not an issue with the masters.

19. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

Hey, I'm in, specifically if there isn't anything wrong with the masters, of course. And thanks for the responses guys. I sent them a regular "Contact Us" thing. I don't know if there's a better way but I'm open to ideas.

20. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

I sent them something through there, too. I was detailed in what I described and asked for a corrected disc. They said that they would send me a replacement disc, but their response was generic enough that I don't know if anything will actually be corrected when I get it.