1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The problem with Long running shows and how we can prevent them with some strict laws

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by thomas2313412, Aug 23, 2017.

1. ZukoFan

ZukoFan Member

I really feel like a broken record, but I just don't understand this idea at all. When cancellations are made, it should be at the discretion of the show's ownership and the network that purchased the show. Of course, we've seen some really terrible decisions regarding cancellations by major networks, but these choices were in their prerogatives. If we cancelled shows after the first season wasn't popular, many Emmy-winning sitcoms, including Cheers and Taxi, would never have achieved their legacies (not that I particularly love either show, just using them as examples). I understand frustration when a show like Spongebob, FOP, or the Simpsons isn't as good anymore. I don't understand wanting legal punishment for such matters.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Me too, man. Me too. I cannot believe we are actually having this debate. I feel stupider just for having to point out that's horrible and un-American. Something like that should go without saying.
    If this thread isn't deleted, it still needs to be closed. I ain't a Mod, but it is literally offensive on every level you can think of.
    ^^This.
    There is no doubt in my mind that Season 8 of The Simpsons was its finest. This dumbass idea would make Homer's Enemy and Homer's Phobia non-existent. Which is probably one of the biggest crimes against popular culture I can think of.

3. thomas2313412

thomas2313412 Active Member

Yeah but with long running shows like Simpsons ,Family Guy and spongebob keep declining in quality ,I think it's time a forced cancelation will be needed by law or by peoples choice through rating system or at least a 10 season limit to every network to prevent bad shows from increasing

Wow,Good point.i guess putting a subtitle on a new season with a new story will prevent the show from cancellation.It works with American Horror Story and Power rangers.

Sorry

True,But I think it should be needed to prevent more shows from declining quality despite fans love for it but perhaps a revival will be needed in about 5 or 10 years.

Good point but a legal punishment law should be needed to prevent from the quality of good long running shows from declining so I think 5 seasons should be enough and if it proves popular still then a revival will be needed in about 5 or 10 years.

Okay, So I understand the law is stupid and controversial but there will be another way to prevent the long running shows from losing their quality and that's force voting by the fans and viewers

You see after viewers watch the show popups will appear in the phone or web or television itself ,It demands that if the show will renewed and ongoing or will be cancelled immediately and the only way to remove it and go to another window or anything is by voting only ,If majority of people who watched the show say yes then the show will be renewed for few years but if the majority of people voted no then the show will be cancelled and will receive a final season before it ends.

That way the forced voting will prevent the shows from declining and its by the people that are fans and viewers choice that is the power (and no cheating)

And if that type voting system is used in this current media then people will vote and decide if shows like Spongebob,Family Guy and The Simpsons will be renewed for another season or not and if not then they will be cancelled and will do a final season before they are going off the air for good.

#43 thomas2313412, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  4. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I find it less problematic that bad shows exist over someone being convicted as a criminal for a show they probably split from a long time ago, example Spongebob. Hillenburg left and he would still be a person to blame in that case, even if he is long gone he is the creator and can still get an awful whiplash from this.

5. thomas2313412

thomas2313412 Active Member

Good point but what do you think of the voting system thing,I thought of,That manga ranking system inspired this.

6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Do you literally say every single bad idea you have out loud?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

That's pretty much what I think about this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Yin

Yin Depressed Housecat

Honestly my biggest issue is the government deciding when cartoons get cancelled. Honestly you might as well have the government decide what gets greenlit by the network.

If a network like Nickelodeon wants a rule to cancel shows after their fifth season (which is never gonna happen given Spongebob) then that is the networks problem.

I just don't like that being up to the government and keep in mind this will not keep bad cartoons from appearing as cartoons that are abysmal on their first season would still be legal.

9. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Something should be done to stop this

Maybe the creator can put a limit on the network and if they go over that then the creator leaves

"I want no more than 5 seasons"

This rule can be written into the show's contract

10. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Edit:

Original post edited. I have not deleted the post entirely, because I want to apologize for my rude tone to anyone who happened to read it. This is not a subject matter worth getting so riled up over.

• Like Like x 1
    #50 Fone Bone, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

We already have a way to keep shows that have gone bad from continuing, and it involves people not watching it. That way networks and studios know that the show is not doing good. Viewers shouldn't be forced to choose.

So with this whole mandatory voting thing, what happens if a show that's declining in quality gets voted to keep going by the majority vote? That kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

These ideas are why business savvy people run networks and not hardcore fans. Hardcore fans are a niche audience who don't understand the amount of money that goes into producing content, have no idea how to get a return in investment, and don't really care about the people involved in producing animated cartoons, otherwise they wouldn't suggest ideas that are threat to anyone's long term employment.

TL;DR, that's still a dumb idea, and you're a selfish person.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

This. Fanboys suggest writers and network execs should be literally fired for the stupidest of reasons without being smart enough to realize they are talking about a person's entire livelihood. As if that person should be forced to spend months finding another job because the fanboy is too lazy to vote with their remote.
    Ironically, me calling the poster selfish was the precise reason I deleted the earlier post. Interesting to learn I probably wouldn't have gotten in trouble for it. Not that that's why I deleted it, but still.

13. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Out of morbid curiosity, how old are you? Are you like a 12 year old kid who is using the internet for the first time, and isn't aware that you shouldn't post every idea you think of, regardless of whether it's good or bad? Are these posts harmless kid stuff that we shouldn't take seriously? Or are you an adult who should be old enough to know better? Should we actually be as concerned as we are? How you answer will determine how I respond to you in the future.

14. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

He is obviously 24 ~ 25. Calling him half his age was uncalled for.

Also:

15. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Mikurotoro is a "she", a woman, not a male

16. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Actually I am 12

I'm also a guy

17. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I literally had no idea. I wouldn't have asked if I did.

18. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

sorry if we're going off thread
    im confused with this.. in the other post other thread (I don't remember) you said you were a woman

19. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Okay, cool. I'll treat you with kid gloves then. No hard feelings. If you need any help around the boards you can ask me.

20. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

That or a rival network came with a show who beat the older ones. The Simpsons did that in a way, beating the Cosby Show.