1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The problem with Long running shows and how we can prevent them with some strict laws

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by thomas2313412, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

This. This is the United Got-Dang States of America. We have free speech for a reason. All this asinine idea boils down to censorship and destroying the First Amendment. Piece by piece, we are slowly having our freedoms taken away in this country. I cannot believe the thread starter WANTS to have our rights destroyed.

Also, legal action for fictional content will prevent creative people for getting into the industry for fear of government reprisal. It will literally make television worse. The opposite of what the thread starter wants to prevent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Yin

Yin Depressed Housecat

Disney Channel has already done this prior stating that shows could only air for 65 episodes before being cancelled the first show to break this rule was That so Raven it is no longer enforced

Regardless I don't think that's really a good idea because it promotes an idea of communism something way too many groups are veering towards

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

In what respect?

4. thomas2313412

thomas2313412 Active Member

Well this move was considered controversial but I think it made a right choice I think

5. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

No show deserves to be facing consequences for having many seasons while declining in quality. The writing staff of most shows never intend to make their show worse and because of that it is not fair that they would be held responsible for the actions of others opinions, shows don't harm people if you don't like a show respect the production crew of a show don't insist on anyone having committed a crime just because a show declines in quality.

Opinions are opinions and because of that they are not a good catlyst for a show to be cancelled that is up to the network of a show or the general consensus, even if the show is a zombie after time it will eventually close up shop for good, there is no reason for it to be forced to be cancelled or be held responsible for just becoming anything below average, there are factors that leave it around and that is that.

• Like Like x 1
    #25 jaylop97, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  6. Yin

Yin Depressed Housecat

I'm referring to your previous post about gov't censorship similar to a communist countries media how the government controls it

It may stop seasonal rot but it may also prevent good series that need seasons beyond 5 from properly flourishing. Some shows will be that good to go beyond 5 seasons and not rot.

IMHO, it should be up to the creator or the network to cancel a show, it should NEVER be up to the government to decide when shows get cancelled. If a network wants to implement a rule like that then that's fine BUT again it should be up to the network to decide that not the government and networks definitely should NOT be fined for it because then they will stop producing stuff out of fear and just acquire stuff from syndication.

• Like Like x 2
  7. thomas2313412

thomas2313412 Active Member

Indeed

8. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Ah. Makes sense. The idea is not communist in and of itself (that word has a specific definition) but curbing free speech is definitely a facet of many totalitarian regimes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

The biggest flaw with this is that the creators and companies can easily go around this rule by slapping a new title on the show's sixth season and calling it a new show. The fifth season on TMNT is being called Tale's of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which makes it sound like a new series, but is just a continuation of the series.

Unfortunately this also the land of the lawyers, and suing for the stupidest of things has become an American specialty.

10. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

That and the show will be replaced by a new show titled Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which will mark a return to traditional animation for the franchise and will be another reboot than a sequel series.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

11. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

On the subject of TMNT, the 2000s show had that whole "Fast Forward" mess that occurred in - you guessed it - season 6. Which illustrates why stuff like strict laws would be a bad idea.

12. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

My point is that the creators and companies can bypass the rules by renaming a show's sixth to tenth seasons to continue a show.

13. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

Why do networks rename their shows to trick people into thinking it's a completely new show when in actuality it's the same series?

Examples include:

TMNT 2012----->Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Sofia the First----->Sofia the First: the Mystic Isles

Jake and the Neverland Pirates-----> Captain Jake and the Neverland Pirates

Doc McStuffins-----> Doc McStuffins: Toy Hospital

Transformers Prime-----> Transformers Prime: Beast Hunters

etc

At least The Simpsons and SpongeBob haven't done that

This is mainly with pre-school shows

(specifically ones on Disney Junior)

All it's going to do is confuse kids!

#33 Mikurotoro92, Aug 24, 2017
  14. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I was a kid when Total Drama came on and I don't remember ever being confused when it's name changed every season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

By "kids" I mean preschoolers

I don't doubt that older kids would know the difference but 5-year-olds wouldn't

#35 Mikurotoro92, Aug 24, 2017
  16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm about to burst into tears because of how horrible this idea is. You should be ashamed for even thinking this is a good idea.

I was going to say un-American.

According to the union/guild rules, any show that runs longer than three seasons, results in the production crew getting a pay raise. It's been said that changing the title is a way to get out of that, as the show technically counts as a new show.

Also, as the case with some of the examples, it signifies a story arc takes place during the show's season.

The 65 episode rule had its place in the past due to traditional TV syndication, but that's now a bygone era.

17. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

That's what I thought but do story-arcs even work in American cartoons?

(especially preschool ones where the audience wouldn't understand it)

It just seems too advanced for them

Why do we need story-driven preschool shows in the first place?

What happened to when shows for preschoolers were educational?

EDIT:
    also I think the other reason for this is to denote the final season

Captain Jake was the final season of Jake and the Neverland Pirates

Beast Hunter was the final season of Transformers Prime

If my assumption is correct that means The Mystic Isles will be the final season of Sofia the First and Toy Hospital will be the final season of Doc McStuffins

If I'm wrong then let me get hit by a flying ice cream truck...& LIVE!

(lol random SpongeBob reference)

#37 Mikurotoro92, Aug 24, 2017
  18. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

do you always make your own generalizations and keep saying preschoolers ones where audience won't understand it?

19. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

My brother agrees that educational preschool shows need to come back

More Mickey Mouse Clubhouse less Sofia the First!

20. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Some shows have had their best episodes come AFTER their fifth season, even Simpsons had classics in seasons 6-9.

• Agree Agree x 2