1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The problem with Long running shows and how we can prevent them with some strict laws

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by thomas2313412, Aug 23, 2017.

1. thomas2313412

thomas2313412 Active Member

After I watch this video about the decline of the simpsons

:

I begin to realise the problems with long running shows,When they keep on running, their quality begins to decline and when some of the old staff move on to other projects including the showrunner,The show begins to lose the thing that once made them popular and the characters are ‘flanderized’ A term for characters who are no longer who they were fans know and love.And it also cause the popularity to decline

These were the problems of long running shows and one of the reasons is that some corporations keep them as cash cows and don’t want to let go and make new shows to replace them .So in order to prevent this situation from happening I thought maybe a strict law will be needed to prevent the long running shows problems from happening ever again.

I understand that this might be controversial and will prevent creativity but it’s for the future show’s own good especially it’s quality

So here are 3 laws to prevent the problems of Long running shows:

* All fictional shows both live action and animation should receive 5 season only with no extras seasons despite popularity from viewers

* Exceptions will be news,reality shows ,talk shows,game shows,Sports shows and anthology shows (Anthology shows included because they tell different stories every episodes or every season)

* If some of the crew including the showrunner and creator is leaving the show then the show will be immediately cancelled unless it should be given a proper conclusion to the show before they move onto other projects.

* If any corporation breaks the law then they should a penalty fine of a higher price possibly 3000$ or 5000 pounds for UK or be punished

The only law which remains the same is

* If the show has less popularity in the first season or two then it will not be renewed for another season or five seasons

So these are my 3 strict laws to prevent long running shows from declining even though it might also criticism for ruining creativity,What do you think ?

#1 thomas2313412, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  2. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I doubt the FCC would care about this sort of thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Doesn't seem even remotely worth the trouble. Not to mention for every show that goes through seasonal rot around this time, there's another that actually gets better.

4. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's a great in depth video. And all your suggestions no offense...are terrible ideas.

There are bigger problems in the world than your favorite shows going bad.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, these really aren't good ideas. The people behind the shows shouldn't be limited like that or punished with legal fees. Even if a show starts having the kind of problems you mentioned, it doesn't mean that they can't get better. If a show is popular enough and the creative team behind it wants to keep it going, they shouldn't keep it within five seasons with few exceptions.

Besides that, it really does seem like a lot more trouble than it's worth. People aren't going to be that upset over their favorite shows getting bad to the point where they demand legal consequences for it. Not to mention I really doubt that people are going to take the time to set up these laws. There are far bigger problems than whether or not a show develops seasonal rot or becomes worse after the show runner leaves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

It's up to the companies and creators the shows belong to. It's their money, their responsibility and their risk. The only harm they are doing in the end is to themselves. You can't force length. Each show is different and has different content and a different pace.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I love April Fool's Day at Toon Zone.

Wait, you're serious? Holy crap!

I don't really believe this nonsense deserves a full rebuttal other than to say that the government creating laws about what kind of content can and can't be shown on television is exactly what some people want, and for an entirely different reason. We shouldn't be opening the door for them. There IS something called a remote instead. Use it.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

You know, some shows are still good after five seasons. Personally I still love Big Bang Theory but it's going to be starting season 11 in the fall (season 12 is going to be the last). If you think a show has gone down hill, just stop watching it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

This is the stupidest idea that I've heard of. If you think a show is declining in popularity, then stop watching it and move on.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

10. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Remember, a show going downhill is subjective. The Simpsons is the 24th most watched primetime series on television, so the majority of American don't think it went downhill. Also you're ideas are anti-capatalist. If a show is making money, the owner has the right to make more of it.

11. Toon4Thought

Especially when they're at the top of their game. Really, such laws will do infinitely more harm than good.

12. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Is it? Where did you hear that?

13. thomas2313412

Yeah but other shows won't follow the same things the other show which still has good quality did,So I think a law should be needed to prevent the other shows from repeating the same mistakes the simpsons and other long running shows did.

That might be true besides politicians might focus on other things rather than entertainment but if i were interested in politics and become a politician and If I have free time I will consult with congress and use my law to make good shows and prevent the decline of quality

True but still I think a law should be needed to save the other shows from declining quality.

Yes,But that doesn't help other shows that are about to get future seasons which will result in flanderizing characters and decline in quality,So I think a law should be needed to prevent it from happening

But I think a law should be needed for the entertainment's own good besides creator will use the ideas originally for the original concluded shows because of my law and use it on other shows or at least make a spinoff if needed.But still what harm can my law do and what are its after effects?

You have a good point there but still if law is used then it will save other shows from receiving the same fate like the previous ones now I know it will be considered controversial and a bad idea but it's for the entertainment industry's own good.

14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's really not. Shows can go downhill before they get five seasons in. The people behind them shouldn't be legally punished for their shows becoming less popular and not being as good as they were before, especially when that latter point is completely subjective. It's not going to help the entertainment industry out in the long run and such a concept wouldn't get off the ground for a number of reasons already mentioned here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. Toon4Thought

And shows going downhill is a problem warranting legal action because...?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

There is more important things to worry about than characters being flanderized.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. thomas2313412

True

18. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll give you a good example of how it can harm people. Work in entertainment industry is hard enough to get and sustain no matter what level, and even just a year. But on the off chance you get on a hit show, that's a stable footing as it can get in a volatile industry. Now you want to put an artificial cap on it for what?

You haven't given a single good reason other than, to prevent shows going bad. But five years isnt some magic number. Heroes was a hit for one season and trash for three more and revival. Mad Men was awesome for seven. Simpsons to bring it full circle was good for eight, arguably nine. And once again people's tastes varies, people hate mad men, and loved all of heroes, or think season 28 of Simpsons is just as good as season 4.

It's a silly idea that is a "solution" for a problem that doesn't exist and would cost people jobs, lose billions in revenue, and cripple industries, all to preserve a fictional ideal of one person's view of quality. We have only so many attention dollars, I suggest you not spend anymore on this terrible idea.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. thomas2313412

Good point

20. Chaos160

Chaos160 Occasional Member

I find it very unwise to strict shows for only five seasons and to force a show to just suddenly end because the creator calls it quits.

It will diminish any sort of creativity and freedom with these ridiculous restrictions.

It also seems selfish to force lawsuits onto the creators and production crew all because your favorite show doesn't meet up to only your expectations. People have different opinions.

In short, it's a TERRIBLE idea!

• Agree Agree x 2