1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The PlayStation Network update thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Captain Highwind, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nephets

Nephets Double the HASHTAGS

I saw on my local news that iTunes has been under a hack watch after a woman,s credit card information was stolen from her using the service. Sure it was a local thing, but it goes to show these infrastructure hacks are becoming more frequent.

I don't see Sony giving away anything more than a FREE PSOne classic if anything, after this is all over. Such a shame that it's going to take them this long to restore the service. I just bought a PSP recently and was looking forward to downloading movies for it off of the PS store.

2. ToonFaithful

ToonFaithful The One Who Knocksā„¢

I saw that lawsuit coming miles away.

#542 ToonFaithful, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
  3. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

Interesting, there's now a UK investigation, and if Sony stored any user data in the UK at the time of the breach, it could be hit with a fine for violating the Data Protection Act there. The DPA, if it is found out that data was stored in the UK, also overrides one particular element in the PSN Terms and Conditions (bolded for flavor and emphasis):

"We exclude all liability for loss of data or unauthorised access to your data, Sony Online Network account or Sony Online Network wallet and for damage caused to your software or hardware as a result of using or accessing Sony Online Network."

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/27/sony-may-be-hit-with-500k-fine-over-psn-data-loss/

4. SSJPabs

SSJPabs It's just us

I wonder what the Brits consider adequate security for personal information.

5. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

I don't expect a whole lot from the Internet, but it stings a little to have a moderator for a site I have a lot of respect for call my ideas 'stupid'. I'll just leave it at that.

Now comparing this to the x-box incident. Technical issues knocked the service out for a week. Damn annoying... here's a $10 game for your troubles. Fair enough.

Playstation Network... down a week and counting... but there's also the security breach and questions of whether or not Sony is acting in our best interests, and now customers don't know if they want to trust Sony again. What's that worth?

And once it's back up... Sony has a harder time getting people back into the store than x-box does because they don't have subscription fees... because with X-box, you can't play call of duty without paying to be there.... and once you've got me paying, by whatever means i do so, it's easier to hook me into the store. So how much is Sony willing to spend to persuade customers to give up their credit card information? When I tried to think of an offer I couldn't refuse, $30 was the number that came into my head, but maybe I overshot. I will tell you that $10 isn't going to motivate me, especially if I have to spend $20 to get it since I've never bought anything more than $15.

I see two disadvantages to pushing pre-paid cards and other alternatives... firstly, middlemen take some of the split, and secondly, adding extra steps to the purchase takes some of the impulse out of the buy. They're better served to try to get my credit card out of my hands as a first priority, and direct me to alternatives as a second. Speaking for myself, I would only buy a fraction of what I do if I had to take the extra steps of going through Amazon or buying prepaid cards through a store.

6. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

You have to think of the scale of this. There are 77 million PSN users. Giving everyone a $30 retail game would cost Sony, as they value it, more than $2 billion. A $60 retail game would cost them nearly $5 billion. I'm sure they'll do something to try to make up for it, but we can't expect them to put themselves out of business.

7. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

There's also the fact that you know, not every user would be able to use a PS3 game since you know PSP also uses PSN.

8. SSJPabs

SSJPabs It's just us

Some users might not be affected except for the downtime of the free service. And if the prepaid cards are that much of a hassle then Sony has to do even less because convenience will keep people from leaving. It's all about the bottom line.

9. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

Not every one of those users will take advantage of your offer. And if you're giving away a game that you already own, the real money lost is determined by the number of sales not made (well, and bandwidth). You can't count people who wouldn't have bought the game first hand anyway as a cost (save for bandwidth).

10. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

I apologize for calling it stupid, but you have to be realistic here. Sony will probably NOT be offering you a $60 game as an apology. It would be a great apology, but I doubt it.

And, the whole rebate thing is based on reality. The whole spend $30-get $10 back deal several months ago on XBL worked well enough for some of us on TZ, myself included. Heck, buying all five games in the past summer's Summer of Arcade promotion - $75 total - only got you back $15; I politely settled on the smaller rebate when I bought three games from it. Heck, for some of us, we didn't even submit credit card data to get the rebates; I doubt Sony would do that to entice people to trust them with a Visa or Master Card because there will be alienation from those that don't use credit but only the prepaid PSN cards.

I don't see it as a good idea for Sony to win back everyone with a $60 game. Heck, they might not even offer us free users Angry Birds (which, BTW, is a good game and worth being atop the PSN sales charts). But, who knows? Right now, I don't. You don't. And I doubt Sony knows too.

Also, please note that there is a free Xbox Live service. That free service allows you to buy things from its digital store. Otherwise, some TZ users like Speedy/Daedalus wouldn't be able to buy/play XBLA games. (sorry if I had to use your name)

As for prepaid cards, lots of people do it. And, while things like buying prepaid codes or using PayPal take an extra step, it doesn't bother a whole lot. I use PayPal to buy games off of Steam, and I had to log in to PayPal every single time to do it and change my card from the expired one to the one in play in order to buy games. Still didn't stop me from blowing money off of a GTA collection that was offered at $7.49 one day or a bunch of other purchases. It might be a good idea to offer something like PayPal for those who want to buy PSN fun bucks but don't want to submit Sony their data. Even if it is as secure as secure would get.

11. SSJPabs

SSJPabs It's just us

I think something that might also help and not cost anything would be for Sony to give a bare outline of improved security measures. I.E. "We're increasing encryption on information X, y, z, and storing it separately so you have hack different programs to get to address as opposed to email, as opposed to name, etc." or whatever is technically feasible.

12. Shawn Hopkins

That might be a bad idea. Why give hackers info that will help them plan attacks?

13. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

Because if they're smart, this incident won't repeat itself after its happened twice now.

I sincerely hope that lawsuit goes through and Sony pays for their irresponsibility. I don't care how dedicated the hackers were, Sony was the one storing important data in an easily accessible file shared on the same network of users and developers. They were basically leaving out a steak for the dogs. I'm sure the rest of the 77 million affected by this aren't just going to forgive and forget this whole ordeal.

14. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Sony won't lose those lawsuits. They'll either settle out of court, or just win.

15. Shawn Hopkins

The way these lawsuits work is that the company settles and you get a coupon or an e-mail offering you, like, a free month of service or something. Netflix has sent me more than one of these because of getting caught in shady practices. It's a joke.

Also the Supreme Court, just today, essentially destroyed your right to join a class action suit if you are only individually able to sue for a small amount. It won't affect this incident, but Sony will probably in the future make you sign a contract giving up your rights to a class action suit as a condition of using PSN.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washin...-supreme-court-class-actions_n.htm?csp=34news

16. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

For continued discussion of the PSN downtime, please go here. Any new posts pertaining to the downtime will now move to the new thread.

I will post the new PSN downloadable-only games thread later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.