1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The PlayStation Network update thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Captain Highwind, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

If and when the PSN gets past this virtual "Black Out". That the content will be intact.

Content from TV Shows, game add-ons etc...

2. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Looks like it was an outside attack, if this is right. And personal data was potentially compromised, so watch your credit card statements. And PSN will be down for an "indefinite" amount of time, whatever that means.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/04/26/sony-shuts-down-playstation-network-indefinitely/

Internet gamers were frustrated last week when Sony shut down its PlayStation Network. Now, they might have reason to be worried.
    On Monday, the Japanese electronics giant said it is keeping its PlayStation Network videogame service offline indefinitely following a hacking attack it now says may have compromised user’s information.
    To ensure the network’s integrity, Sony said it is currently rebuilding the service, which connects more than 75 million PlayStation customers over the Internet, letting them play videogames and chat together. “This is a time intensive process and we’re working to get them back online quickly,” Sony spokesman Patrick Seybold said in a blog post.

3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Genuinely curious question, not sarcasm: I've never purchased anything off the PSN store using my credit card (always used prepaid cards), I'm not a PS+ subscriber, and I don't use Facebook or any of that stuff on the PS3 either. Should I still be worried about the potential compromised data?

At any rate, this sucks. I guess I'll be holding off on buying Mortal Kombat for a while. I would get it for 360, except I don't want to waste that free costume download that came with the MK Blu-ray...

4. SSJPabs

SSJPabs It's just us

It could just be a catch all, they don't want to be blamed in case it does happen so they're saying it might as a precaution. Always better to be safe than sorry. If it really is the debug accounts thing, than personal info might be safe.

5. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

You still registered for it with an email and had a password with it. The email might get an increase in spam like mine was after the Gwaker attacks in December, but honestly it's no big deal. If the password is the same as passwords on other sites/services, you might want to change it.

Also, while PSN's current downtime would have been warranted a different thread, I will allow the PSN downtime talk to continue on in here until it comes back. Once it does come back, there will be a new thread which will focus on the PSN downloadable games; yes, that includes the PSone games offered on there

EDIT: This. Someone did come in and probably looked at your data/email/real address.
    http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

6. SSJPabs

SSJPabs It's just us

Dammit Sony. Massive identity theft.

And I don't even remember what I put on for my information and how up todate it is.

7. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

Sony also confirmed that Sony Online Entertainment (the MMO division) was hit with severe attacks as well. Which leads me to believe this wasn't the fault of Sony's security, but rather some people who were on a mission to gather this information.

As a loyal owner of both a PS3, and PSP connected to the PSN I'm not angered that this happened. No one can guarantee that this couldn't happen. I'm angry that it has taken them a week to tell people.

I do hope the authorities capture those responsible before they can sell any information they've collected.

8. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Good thing I didn't put my credit card info on my account. Although now I do have to change some of my passwords.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

I've changed my passwords for various websites, but I won't be able to change my PSN password until the network is restored, correct?

10. Marvin Tikvah

Marvin Tikvah Active Member

Good going Sony. As if you couldn't further alienate your fanbase.

I honestly can't remember if I still had my info saved on my accout or not. The last few times I bought stuff I had leftover funds and most of the major purchases were bought with a PSN card. Ugh, it's so frustrating being left in the dark like this.

11. Toons4ever

Toons4ever Member

I want to change my password to make my account safe, but I don't know how to do that without getting into PSN, can anybody tell me how?

12. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

You can't blame Sony for the actions of some criminals that attacked them. They should have come forward a little earlier, I guess, but I can understand wanting to confirm things for sure instead of causing an unnecessary panic.

You can't as far as I know.

13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My brother can't seem to remember his password as when it asks to change password its 4 digits and he's sure his password was more than that. Signing into PSN is obviously not happening either.

14. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/26/sonys-failure-to-report-data-breach-incurs-ct-senator-blumentha/

15. SSJPabs

SSJPabs It's just us

Well the rumors surfaced yesterday. Perhaps they didn't know right away. Still probably should have made the official statement before today. However I would say that most people who are PSN members would be the type to follow this news fortunately.

I know Anonymous hates Sony, but they should find whoever did this and make them pay.

16. Bryangst

Bryangst JERK

These mare my thoughts on the matter as well. I just don't see the need to create the panic before solid evidence is found. Sony gave us an update on their blog today concerning the potential security threats, which is good enough for me. Though I really do think that we all should have expected some of our personal information to be obtained.

17. Vyse

Vyse Active Member

Okay. Here's some tips, and this includes EU owners as well since they too are compromised:

-change your password. For EVERYTHING. 6 MINUTES AGO. As I've mentioned earlier, if your PSN password is the same one you use for anything else (like toonzone, Facebook, Twitter, etc), your best bet is to change it for those services before you change it on PSN. Even if you don't remember what passwords you use, change them to something different anyway. When PSN returns - Sony says it will be back later this week - you'll change it then. Having someone ruin your PSN rep is one thing; someone getting into your Amazon account is another. It's best to contain it to Sony-land before something else happens.

-if your debit or credit card is on PSN, MONITOR IT! This is serious stuff when Sony decides to link to a free credit report site. If you have no clue what card you used, check your emails from "DoNotReply@ac.playstation.net". They will mention what card you used to get the pre-paid fun money for the PlayStation Store. Then contact the bank connected to said card and tell them it's been compromised. If you have online banking, you can use the online transaction statements to help determine if anything's been bought in your name that you didn't authorize. And, again, under US law, US citizens get one free annual credit report from each of the three major credit bureaus. It's best to request one.

-Beware of phishing. Just be aware of the scams that are going to show up in your email box and probably your mail box sometime soon. And probably to come. I've never received those types of emails until the Gwaker attacks compromised my data.

Source: http://kotaku.com/#!5795474/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-playstation-network-outage
    http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/26/sony-says-psn-intrusion-compromised-personal-info-hopes-to-ha/

-----------------------------------------------------------

With that out of the way, I need to vent. Heck, Sony just confessed to Kotaku they didn't know the breach until this past Monday, hence the rumors of compromised data that were showing up; although, by that time, my passwords have been changed for the services I frequently used the most since I feared the worst. But, I agree with Tycho of Penny Arcade when he made his statements about Sony on Monday. Yes, the hackers are the bad guys and deserve to get their butts scorched, but it doesn't excuse Sony of being an infallible deity. And while investigations are investigations, they should have been more upfront about it earlier.

Also, please note that while Sony doesn't know if the credit card data was stolen, they aren't sure if they were safe from the attack.

18. EnigmaticWarrior

Clarifying a Few PSN Points

Clarifying a Few PSN Points

19. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

I honestly can't remember if I ever used my credit card on PSN as I always remember buying pre-paid cards. So I don't know if I should be worried or not.

My PSN password and actual e-mail password are different so I don't think I have to worry about that.

Even so, Sony should have let us know this a long time ago. Not a week after it happened.

20. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

This is a huge black eye from which Sony may never fully recover. Even if/when Sony bounds back with superior PSN security, consumer confidence and trust is shaken.

(BTW, this whole debacle has shades of Summer Wars...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.