The Old "Those Endearing Young Charms" Gag

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Toony Loon, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Toony Loon

Toony Loon What's all the hubub, bub?

We've all seen it. It's a famous gag, and still funny!
    Scenario:
    [ANTAGONIST rigs dynamite to a certain piano/xylophone key in the song "Those Endearing Young Charms"]
    [PROTAGONIST plays the song right, but misses the certain note]
    ANTAGONIST: No! That's not it! Try it again!
    [PROTAGONIST tries again, but misses the note once more.]
    ANTAGONIST: No, no, you idjet! Like this!
    [ANTAGONIST is blown to kingdom come.]

Okay, I've been wondering: exactly how many times has this gag been used in classic cartoons, and which cartoon/studio/director executes it best?
    I remember it being in a Private Snafu cartoon called Booby Traps [Clampett, WB], plus the cartoons Ballot Box Bunny [Freleng, WB], Rushing Roulette [McKimson, WB], and Show Biz Bugs [Freleng, WB]
    My vote goes to Show Biz Bugs. I liked it better faster paced, and Daffy Duck said "No! No! You stupid rabbit! Like this!" much better than Yosemite Sam did in Ballot Box Bunny (even though Mel Blanc did voice them both).
    Any thoughts?

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

A nice variation on this gag occurs in the Animaniacs short "Slappy Goes Walnuts".

One of Slappy Squirrel's nemeses, Doug the Dog, sets up a xylophone rigged with explosives, and of course hides out of sight behind some bushes. Slappy spots the xylophone and announces she's going to play "Those Endearing Young Charms", to her nephew Skippy's horror. Slappy plays the corresponding notes to the song, not messing it up at all, causing Doug the Dog to explode from his hiding place on her first try. Slappy grins to the camera and says, "Old gag, new twist."

3. CelesteK

CelesteK Secret Gobots Fan.

Yeah that one was funny. :D

4. fartoons

fartoons Creamy Goodness

"Show Biz Bugs" wins, then "Ballot Box Bunny". I think Friz Freleng is the only one who made this gag work.

5. Still HowardFein

Still HowardFein New Member

It was also used in two H-B cartoons. The first was in TOP CAT, whereby the greedy butler and semi-articulate dog sidekick (protoype 'Muttley' Don Messick laugh) plan to eliminate Benny, who's apparently the missing heir to a fortune. The song was "Strolling Through The Park", a standard Hoyt Curtin background cue. In this case, the dog was the victim of his own absent-minded impatience. It was rather unusual for TOP CAT, which was originally made for prime time circa 1961-62, to have a character comically (and temporarily) blown up in the style of contemporary theatrical and syndicated TV cartoons.

Thirty years later, the gag was revisited on YO! YOGI, made for the last season of Saturday AM cartoons on NBC- and one of the last H-B cartoons made for Saturday AM overall. For some reason, a couple of crooks planted explosives on teenage Huck's banjo that would detonate with his trademark "Oh, my darlin'" song. In fact, the classic line used for the parallel gag in SHOW BIZ BUGS ("Then he'll be playing a harp!") was reprised. Given Saturday AM constraints, the unfortunate- or, rather stupid- crook merely suffered mildly shredded clothes.

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Huck's signature song is "My Darlin' Clementine". Can we remember that a little more often, please?

7. dtemplar

dtemplar Old School Professor

Wasn't there one in a Road Runner cartoon?

8. Eric B

Eric B New Member

That was Rushing Roulette, mentioned above.

9. cyde

cyde New Member

Was it one of Looney's residential music writers, for the record, that composed Those Endering Young Charms?

10. Fibber Fox

Fibber Fox New Member

11. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

That was a great joke. Because this gag has been done numerous times and thus lessens the surprise, it was good that they did something unexpected with it.