1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "X-Men 3" Movie News & Rumors Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Wonder Woman, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Famke Janssen and Hugh Jackman have both been recently interviwed about X-Men 3 and Wolverine, revealing some small tidbits about the upcoming movies. In a Variety article talking about how "X-Men" series star Hugh Jackman is developing three new musical features at Disney (more here), it also states that he'll be producing X-Men 3 and Wolverine:

Jackman has formed a company with new partner John Palermo...whom he met when the latter was Bryan Singer's assistant on "X-Men."

Jackman would seem a good candidate to broaden the audience appeal of tuners. He is most readily identifiable to moviegoers for the "X-Men" character Wolverine and the vampire hunter Van Helsing.

He'll continue on the action track: Jackman and Palermo will cut their teeth as producers by getting involved in the third installment of "X-Men," as well as a "Wolverine" spinoff feature "Troy" scribe David Benioff is penning at Fox.

He is expected to return as Logan/Wolverine in both films

And part of an interview from SHH!:

SHH!: Are you going to be involved in the next X-Men film?
    Janssen: Don't know quite yet, but probably... I've heard things and they're developing the script right now, Dark Phoenix is part of that script.

SHH!: Is the film going to revolve around your character?
    Janssen: I've heard things like that, but at the same time I'm realistic about knowing that they're going to have to give a bunch of people a good chunk of the movie for them to want to come back. And then there's going to be new characters introduced, so it's always a little tricky. If it's anybody's movie ever, it's going to be Wolverine's movie because that's the number one X-Men character. But we'll see. From what I've heard? Yes, she's a big part of it.

Fox really should be announcing their plans for the third movie soon especially if they plan to have it be their big summer 2006 movie.

2. Batman's Biggest Fan

3. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

All sounds well and good, except...

...I hadn't heard this piece of disturbing news yet.

4. Nightflower

Nightflower Floral Mod Extraordinaire

Man, the last two movies were "Wolverine" movies. Frankly, I think it would be a nice change of pace if the third movie focused on another character.

5. PaQ

PaQ Believe it!

It'll be interesting to see realistically what actually takes place in the next movie, since it's true what Famke said, they have to give each character a meaningful role for the actors to come back most of the time. Since it would be nice for the films to keep the same actors for the roles if it's possible.

I would think the fact that two movies were already successful and with a Wolverine spinoff in the works, why not shift the focus to someone else. I doubt it would affect the film's performance and with such a large group movie, it would be nice to see it's focus varied a bit.

6. Jean_Grey

Jean_Grey Fire Made Flesh

Yeah I agree with you. It shouldn't be focused on one charecter but a bunch of different charecters. Not just Wolverine, although I do like him.

7. Storm

Storm Active Member

Cyclops out of X3?!?

Source: IGN Filmforce

Comments? Thoughts?

Right now I'm taking this with a grain of salt however it does color me shocked. I hope FOX isn't crazy enough to kill off Cyclops or even do a third film without him. Or are they?

- Fray

8. silverwings

silverwings Ronin of Light

But... that says smaller part, right? Why can't he just go for those days he's shooting for Superman while doing X3?

Or (gasp) the Superman shootings with him happen before June 20th. Can't be hard if he's not a major character.

Jean jumping ship, however, is very bad. Replacing Storm? Fine, she wouldn't have a big part in the third movie. But if it is going the way I think (and most people think) it's going, Jean, Cyclopes, and Wolverine need to stay the same.

9. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Shawn Ashmore has an identical twin brother. Couldn't Shawn have gone to play Jimmy to keep ties with Singer, and let Aaron Ashmore take over as Bobby on X3?

10. Enrique

Enrique I am that second mouse...

The fact is that because Singer bailed on Fox, Fox isn't going to cut anyone any slack, and if that means setting the shooting schedule in stone, so be it. Fox doesn't want Marsden going over to WB, so their setting his X3 schedule and saying "if you can't make it these days, don't come at all".
    Juggling a movie schedule isn't like trying to meet your friends at a mall. You've got to account for travel (since Superman is shooting in Australia and X3 in US/Canada), who's paying for what (Fox or WB), and when the schedules are actually set to find out which days need to be juggled. I guarantee you just trying to figure out who's going to pay for the flight alone will be the deal breaker (speaking from personal experience..).

It goes without saying it'd be interesting to see how this develops...

11. PaQ

PaQ Believe it!

Man, what is Singer's fascination with those actors.. I think the worst thing about comic movies is when actors do multiple franchises.. even though one is a DC and X-men is Marvel.. I'd rather they just not go there. I'd hate to see Marsden not be Cyclops, for such a small role.. Both Fox and Warner/Singer are at fault.. I hope they don't end up ruining either of these movie franchises over petty arguments.

12. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

Wow, this is kind of depressing. I love James Marsden and Famke Janssen as Cyke and Jean. I'd really hate for X3 to be almost entirely recast.

13. Failure

Failure Entertainment Mod

Geez, why don't they just title the new Superman movie, Superman: X-Men 3.

14. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

It's not that huge a deal for X-Men characters to be gone, because there are so many of them. The central ones need to be there, and considering the whole Jean Grey thing, I guess Cyclops not being in the movie is actually a bigger problem than I would've thought. His role in the first 2 movies was kind of minimal, but the Jean Grey connection does make me worry.

15. krazymed

krazymed Active Member

Because then Stan Lee would have a legit claim to 10 percent of a DC movie, which would then justify CBS' horrible "investigative reporting." After all, if it wasn't for Stan the Man, DC wouldn't exist...oh, never mind.

Funny. If Jack Kirby was still alive, he actually could say that and be somewhat right.

16. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Recasting everyone for X3 shouldn't be an option. Christ, is it that hard to get these Hollywood types to disagree?

Would the world fall apart if they shot X3 few weeks later? Hell, they don't even have a director yet!

17. ManicWebb

ManicWebb You were cold as ice...

Speaking as a X-Men fanatic, I'm all for Fox pushing the movie back to summer 2007 if it means getting Singer, Janssen, and Marsden back, and getting the movie done right. Like Amazing Spidey said, recasting shouldn't be an option. There's no way Fox can (ok, they can. They just shouldn't) recast Jean or Cyclops for the third movie. And let's be honest; they don't have a director. I'm more than willing to wait an extra year if it means clearing up Singer's schedule and getting him back into the X franchise. I doubt Warner would want him to immediately get to work on a second Superman movie, anyway.

However, if need be, I'm still willing to have an X-Men 3 without Singer. They'd just better find a new director and a script soon.

18. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think they may have to consider dumping X-Men 3. Yeah, it sucks but I imagine a hefty amount of blame lies both with Fox and Singer. It looks like not enough incentive to keep him, and not enough artistic integrity to finish what he had started. Maybe that's a bit harsh. I don't know. :p

In interviews and as a general observation, Singer never struck me as manilpulative. I reckon he knows that X3 is dead. I'm guessing he had a feeling it was going to be a mess with all the preproductive issues that the film was already having. Knowing he's off, he's probably looking after his good workers by recasting them in his new film knowing that by leaving the old one is dead.

As it stands, with Storm's role looking dubiously recast, and Cyclops and Jean being so integral to the third film, it would need so more recasts for this to work. Three main recasts are not going to bode well in media speculation or audiences who tend to find recasts very hard to take on. With Singer also gone and I imagine we'll see the likes of Jackman bailing with no Singer or familar cast to solidify success, I think it would be better it wasn't matter than have a trashy straight to video mess I think we'll probably get.

All utter speculation.. but I bet we're going to get a whole lot of this!

19. Stewie

Stewie Just now getting into Donovan

That's my dream. Holding off on X-Men 3 until Singer returns, and brings everyone with him.
    If only...

20. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

That more than likely won't happen, after Star Wars, X-Men is Fox's biggest franchise. WB don't even know if Superman is going to be a massive success yet, but could potentially be they're new franchse since everyone started hating The Matrix. Thier habits are getting a little annoying, but I do agree, it will be interesting to see.

Of all the times for WB to make a Superman movie. :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.