1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "Wii U" Talkback (Possible Game Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by defunctzombie, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

If this is true, let's all just pretend to be surprised when it's announced (but let's spoil-tag this stuff just in case anyways).

2. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

@Storm Eagle Bad news. The Sound Selection has been confirmed as just that... a selection, not the full OST.

Source.

Yes, wonderful, Nintendo. This whole thing was a mess. From not communicating which stores would get it, to stating it was THE official OST and then it is just a small selection. Shame on them.

Also shame on them for leaving out the Hyrule Castle/Ganon theme. I love that theme and its buildup so much. I can not believe we got flipping Death Mountain which is boring as heck IIRC, but we can't get Hyrule Castle.

They should have just given us the whole flipping OST which they have NEVER released, and it seemed like they were going to. LIARS.

3. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

It's more than the original one. I'll say that. I might still be interested.

The comments in that link are tame so far. This is something that will really give the Nintendo-haters something to crow about.

#943 Storm Eagle, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  4. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

i actually like the theme for death mountain (it's an arrangement of the theme for goron city from zelda OOT) but yeah i hate how most of nintendo's OST's these days aren't complete (good examples of this include donkey kong country returns & animal crossing city folk) so many themes from both games were missing like jungle mine from the former & the theme for shampoodles from the latter but what i really hate is there was never an OST released for the wii channels or 3ds system sounds (find mii,e-shop,mii plaza,nintendo video,AR games,face raiders,etc)! they weren't even arranged in smash bros except for find mii & mii channel (arranged by daisuke matsuoka & yasunori mitsuda respectively)!

nintendo has some of the best game music it's a shame they never take full advantage of it but on another note VGM needs to get more popular in the US im talking concerts on mainstream TV,mainstream radio stations dedicated to VGM,more sheet music availalble,commercials for new OST's coming out,the whole shebang! what do you guys think? thanks in advance!

#944 Mikurotoro92, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  5. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

6. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

The news is all over the internet, now. It's even trending on Twitter. I can't imagine this will have a positive effect on (already low) Wii U sales.

They need to show off the NX ASAP and it needs to knock everyones' socks off.

7. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

First of all, until or unless Nintendo makes a formal, official announcement, anything else is just rumor and speculation.

Secondly, Leviathan, "knock everyones' socks off"? I don't know about anyone else, but while there's nothing wrong with have high expectations, if you set them too high, you're just going to be disappointed. When and if Nintendo is ready to talk about their new systems, I myself can only "expect" that they'll do what they set out to do. If there's a feature I don't agree with, that won't necessarily mean that they will be "failures". In any case, I think we should all keep any expectations we might have in check, but at the same time we should assume that they will be great systems. Yes (and I have to say to say this), even if they end up consisting only of games made by Nintendo themselves (which is unlikely, but still*)...

*I feels the whole "Wii U has no (new) games/no third party support" stigma is just sarcasm created by disappointed fans who were expecting the Wii U to focus more on third party games (which it does have, one way or another), or focus more on "mature" titles, or focus more on either the "fans" and/or the "hardcore gamers" ("Where's Zelda?" "Where's Metroid?" "What's this 'Federation Force' stuff?! I want a REAL Metroid game!", etc.), or who were generally hoping for a more Playstation or Xbox like experience. Also, I apologize if it seems like I'm using too many quotes, but I wanted to emphasize certain words and phrases that I'm not so sure mean what some people think they mean...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I was going to post about this, but then Nintendo dumped a truckload of cold water on it. Whatever the truth may be, I think it should be expected that we are in the twilight phase of the Wii U and that Zelda may well be the last tremendous game for it. It's had a strong run and I imagine it'll be supported for some time yet, but in terms of business it's been Gamecube tier. It's hard to imagine that they aren't transitioning development to the "NX" in anticipation of a late 2016 or 2017 release.

Though performance could have been better, I'm not sorry I bought in early on the Wii U. Very strong core library, and the system of choice for access to the widest range of Nintendo's library. I expect I'll be using it plenty long after we're on to the next machine.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Frankly, the Wii U was worth buying just for Mario Maker.

10. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Splatoon and Mario Maker represented the best of what the Wii U had to offer, but they came entirely too late.

Other than those two, it's kind of hard not to see the rest of the library as disappointing, between franchises that were were no-shows (Metroid), or only represented as spinoffs (Kirby, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem). The complete and total implosion of third party support did it no favors, either, which I think is fair to say when Nintendo isn't even getting sports or Star Wars games anymore.

And yes, Mandouga, I meant knock everyone's socks off. Now that casual gamers have found cheaper gaming options elsewhere, and mobile is eating into the sales of the dedicated handheld, Nintendo absolutely needs something awe-inspiring to turn back the massive sales declines they've experienced this gen.

#950 Leviathan, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  11. Storm Eagle

Exactly. We all know how everybody and their pet dragon just wants the Wii U gone.

12. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I'll be severely pissed if they don't release the new Zelda on the Wii U. We've been waiting for it, and when was the last time a console didn't get a main series release? The virtual boy. Even the GC got Twilight Princess after they decided to rush that mirrored port for the Wii.

13. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I don't want the Wii U gone...

In any case, I never implied that at all. I was just saying that for an outrageous claim like that, we should wait and see what Nintendo themselves have to say about it, and in fact, they themselves have denied this claim. I'm going to assume that by that, they meant exactly what they said: that until they officially say otherwise, the Wii U will continue to be produced.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

14. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

It'll happen, relax. They're too far along to throw out years of work. I'm expecting a dual Wii U & NX release, like TP got.

15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

We're looking at a lot of delayed or lost sales if the Wii U release of Zelda were to be dropped. FWIW, I'd be amazed if they did that.

16. Storm Eagle

I know you weren't implying it. I just know that many people don't think too highly of the Wii U. I was basically exaggerating, but I never took your statement to mean that YOU wanted it gone. Besides, I was essentially agreeing with you that it would be best to hear something official on this news.

Also, it even reminded me of rumors about Nintendo going the way of Sega and just make third-party games for other systems and no longer do consoles. You know that nothing would thrill people more than for Nintendo to just go away.