1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "What do you Recommend?" Thread

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Storm, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Just a friendly "head's up" Agent S7: I merged your thread, as this is what the "What do you Recommend" thread is for.

2. Desifoxy

Desifoxy Member

If you wanna get into ultimate universe, read The Ultimates. It's arguably the best title in the universe.

3. Titan

Titan Member

I've read the tpbs at Borders. It's really good. I'm gonna be buying Ultimate 3 for sure.

MannicWebb: Ok. When I have a bit more cash I'll buy the paperbacks. :)

Thanks for your help ^_^

4. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy
    Staff Member Moderator

That is, if you can even remember what happened in the previous issue when the following comes out four plus months later. It really, really kills any momentum the title has. If each individual title wasn't so good, the title would be dead right now. Partially why I'm dropping it after Ultimates 2 and getting Ultimates 3 in collection form, since there's no possible way that Joe Mad can keep a regular schedule. At all.

As far as Ultimate X-Men goes, I love it. Have kept up with it since issue 1. It's no where near as good as it used to be, but even at it's worst it's still better than a lot out there. Plus how they can turn regular d-listers like Mojo and Dazzler and make them actually pretty cool is awesome.

5. Daredevil_2003

Daredevil_2003 The Man Without Fear

Hell yes Ultimate X-Men is good! I've lost touch with it after the first 30 issues (I've lost touch with all my comics really, too expensive and in the case of some of them not even worth the money in the first place) But I never read an issue I didn't like. It's byfar my favorite incarnation of the X-Men. Comics, movies, television, doesn't matter...Ultimate X-Men is the best. If the quality hasn't dropped since I stopped collecting then I highly suggest you pick it up.

6. Eddie G.

Eddie G. Former Wolf/Writer.

Mark Millar's run on Ultimate X-men which is from 1-33 is rather cinematic and come off as very action movie-y. They're interesting, except that characterizations can get a little iffy. He has some moments of brillance though, his motivation for Sabertooth is just amazing.

Bendis and Vaughan's runs are a lot different than Millar's. They're a lot more quiet and character driven while still having a lot of fun action and twists. Kirkman's current run is okay, it's similar to Bendis' just a little more boring.

#226 Eddie G., Jun 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2006
  7. ManicWebb

ManicWebb You were cold as ice...

Bendis' first arc was exactly what it was titled: a Blockbuster. It took a handful of popular characters, and threw action at us from every angle. To tell the truth, I'd never seen Bendis write so action-oriented.

8. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

That's why it's definitely a "wait for the TPB" title IMO. Yeah, it's a long time to wait (especially for this particular title), but it's worth it when you get that great big chunk of brand-new-to-you goodness to read every couple years or so.

9. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

I've merged this thread with the "So What Do You Recommend" thread, as that's really where this belongs. This conversation can be continued in the NEW "So What Do You Recommend" thread, if desired, but this thread has become a little lengthy, and is thus now closed and rebooted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.