1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "What do you Recommend?" Thread

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Storm, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pulpman

Pulpman Mild-mannered reporter

I recommend anything written by Dan Slott, which right now is She-Hulk and The Thing.

2. Richv1

Richv1 Guest

Zoom Suit coming out in April. Its about a kid that finds and alien space suit.
    Cyberforce the new series with Ron Mars and Pat Lee.
    ANT is great.

Richard Vasseur
    http://www.jazmaonline.com

3. MR.MXYZPTLK

MR.MXYZPTLK Mild Mannered Reporter

Can anyone reccomend some good marvel titles? I was a little dissapointed with runaways, though I'm enjoying Young Avengers

4. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

What type of Marvel titles are you on the look out for? Team books like Runaways and Young Avengers? Or just any ol' Marvel book?

If you're looking for a good teen team book, I reccomend picking up New X-men: Academy X, (get the TPB's or back issues from before issue 20, when the new creative team took over...everything since then has been rather "blah", in my opinion).

Other than that, I suggest picking up Captain America, Thing, She-Hulk, Daredevil and Hulk, (the latter two have just started up new storylines, so they might make for good jump on points)!

5. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

Thing!

Buy Dan Slott's Thing!

And She-Hulk.

Nextwave is pretty funny, although it may not be to all tastes. Scan through an issue or two on-line or at your shop.

-- Ed

6. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Ace...need your help. Or anyone's for that matter...I came across what appeared to be a indie published b+w comic and the issue I read was about the comic book creator's first comic con booth experience (he met George Perez and several others as well). Great issue, and I went back to the store to pick it up and they were sold out and knew nothing.

Help?

7. Sr.Infierno

Sr.Infierno Active Member

Im looking for a good story with a mix of comedy and drama, nothing too serious. Also, maybe something dealing with the supernatural/magic/etc, anything other then superheroes.

Also, I never buy single issues, so anything in Trade form.

8. randomguy

randomguy Came, liked Ike, and left.

I'm not Ace, but that sounds to me like True Story, Swear to God, which recently did an issue on the writer/artist's first big experience at a comic convention, so that must be it.

True Story, Swear to God is writer/artist's Tom Beland's real-life story about his romance with Lily Garcia and their blossoming relationship, which eventually led Beland to move some 9,000 miles to live with her. It's published by AiT/Planet Lar but will soon be moving to Image.

Here's the official site, including more info about the series and the trades that have been so far released (three). Both myself and Ace have raved about this book for sometime now, although Ace more than I, so check it out. It's good stuff.

9. Ed Liu

Howdy,

I have to admit that I was pretty puzzled by the snippet of plot DisneyBoy provided. If I were smart, I would have figured that one out. Luckily, randomguy is around to be smart for me :).

Anyway, I'd agree that you probably picked up True Story Swear to God #16, which describes Tom Beland's first experience at a comic convention as a pro. If it helps, this is the cover (courtesy of Mile High Comics):

[​IMG]

I think this chat transcript with Beland also contains the first six pages from #16 which may confirm if this is the comic you're thinking of.

If nothing else, TSStG does belong in this thread as something I definitely recommend. I've blabbered about it before while talking about good "slice of life" comics.

Fables from DC/Vertigo might be up your alley (click the link for a better summary than I can come up with). The first TPB is only $10 and contains the first four issues. It probably skews more towards drama than comedy, but writer Bill Willingham never forgets to bring the funny.

You may also want to try out The Goon from Dark Horse Comics by Eric Powell. Zombies, mobsters, killer robots, and a Spanish-speaking giant lizard are just the start of what you'll find here. This is definitely more comedy than drama, but Powell can blindside you with some genuinely powerful emotional moments. There was a 25-cent issue that may still be available at your shop if you want to give it a try for cheap.

It's getting close to superhero-dom, but Firebreather from Image was a fun little mini-series about a teenager who's the son of a typical suburban housewife and a Godzilla-sized monster.

Last suggestion is Usagi Yojimbo, chronicling the adventures of a samurai rabbit wandering medieval Japan. It's got 19 TPBs so far, and manages the astonishing trick of being completely accessible from all but maybe 2 of them. I started with vol. 17, borrowed from the library, and it was good enough that I went and found the rest.

Hope this helps!

-- Ed/Ace

10. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Thanks guys...that's EXACTLY what I happened upon! I knew y'all wouldn't let me down, you comic gurus you!

Silly question...but how much are the individual issues selling for in Canadian? Is it the same as an issue of JLU? I didn't catch the price when I first flipped through it...

11. Mike Spartz

Mike Spartz Underrated Performer

Hello, I don't post here often but after watching the X-men 3 trailers I'm interested in learning more about Multiple Man. Can anyone on this board recommend a series of graphic novels starring him for me? Thanks.

12. Ed Liu

Howdy,

I think the definitive Multiple Man writer is probably Peter David, who wrote Jamie Madrox in the pages of X-Factor in the 90's, and has revived him and X-Factor today. Marvel is beginning an X-Factor Visionaries TPB series, with the first volume out already. There is also a Madrox: Multiple Choice TPB that reprints last year's (?) mini-series, and which leads up to the current on-going X-Factor series (about to get its first HC collected edition, which will no doubt get a paperback edition in a few months). All that will get you enough Multiple Man to choke a horse.

I enjoyed the Madrox mini-series quite a bit, and am probably going to pick up the first X-Factor HC. Haven't read the earlier stories, though.

-- Ed

13. Titan

Titan Member

Is Ultimate X-Men Any Good?

Hey everyone,

I recently got in to comic books. One of the first things I started buying was Ultimate Spider-Man. When I did I bought all the paperbacks. My question is should I start reading Ultimate X-Men? If so I would need to buy all the paperbacks to satisfy my weird brain. Is it worth it?

Thanks!

14. ManicWebb

ManicWebb You were cold as ice...

You're reading Ultimate Spider-Man, right? So you know that the Ultimate books are an alternate universe where things are drastically different? Good. If you can accept that, then you'll probably like Ultimate X-Men. It's one of my favorite X-books, and the first six volumes are a smash. I really suggest reading it from the beginning, so you'll understand the kind of environment Ultimate X-Men takes place in. And really, the first volume (Tomorrow People) is just a fun read.

15. Agent S7

Agent S7 Destined to Rock

Most Fun Mainstream Comic?

I was wondering: Lately I've been reading "Teen Titans", "Astonishing X-Men" and my subscription to "Detective Comics" is coming in. Since the TT subscription will soon end, I keep wondering. I need a comic to balance all of the depressing comics I read. I'm thinking HULK, mainly because it just seems so fun and (lightly) violent, like most comics should be. But there's a lot of them out there, so I'm asking you...

What's the most fun mainstream comic?

~s7

16. melibell21

melibell21 She's a marshmallow

The most fun comic is the Marvel series Runaways by Brian K. Vaughn. Highly recommended with great characters and hilarious dialogue. I've also heard Nextwave is pretty funny, but I don't read it.

For DC, my favorite book that kicks butt but is still fun would definitely be Birds of Prey by Gail Simone. The characters are fun, the action is awesome, and it's always at the top of my list.

#216 melibell21, May 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2006
  17. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

DC:
    Justice League Unlimited

Marvel:
    Spider-Girl
    She-Hulk
    The Thing

18. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

I'd go with The Thing. Appreciate it whilst you still can. :(

19. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

It was a miniseries but I had a blast reading Defenders

also Young Avengers (it looks like i'll have to hunt down Runaways, I hear it pimped all over the place)

20. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I would second Runaways. That book always makes me happy and I look forward to it eagerly, even though it can get into dark territory sometimes.

Hulk is not really a good choice if you're looking for something upbeat. It hasn't been just "fun" for a long time, maybe never really. The Hulk has always been a tragic figure, but Peter David, Paul Jenkins and Bruce Jones did some deep psychological stuff with the character. The current arc is an ass-kicking story about the Hulk being a gladiator on an alien world, but there's a lot of death and betrayal in it, much of it coming from the Hulk himself.

For my money, a list of the most fun mainstream comics ever would have to include the 60 or so issues of JLI/JLA Keith Giffen did. Some of it is available in trade paperback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.