1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "What do you Recommend?" Thread

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Storm, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melibell21

melibell21 She's a marshmallow

Searching For Comics like these...

Hey guys. Well, I've recently started collecting dc comics, but i was wondering what non-superhero comic books are goood. I'm thinking along the lines of uderworld, hellboy (dark horse, right?), constantine, van helsing stuff. i like that whole hellish, intrigue, cool beings thing, and i was wondering if they have comics for them. thanks

2. Sr.Infierno

Sr.Infierno Active Member

Blade of the Immortal. Best comic i've ever read. Best Art i've ever seen also

Super-violent, with a good story to back it up. Without a doubt the best on Dark Horse's lineup. It's printed in both issue and TPB format(I reccomend the latter). It's currently 15 volumes and going.

[​IMG]

3. melibell21

well, UNDERWORLD is my new fav movie. any comics like that??

i know constantine is based on dc/vertigo's hellblazer (is that any good) and hellboy is a dark horse (hows hellboy?). van helsing is mary shelly's work. and thing like them?

4. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

I think Hellblazer will be right up your alley. I'd go on with specific arcs and such, but I already did elsewhere :).

While you're at it, I think the entire run of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing comics are wonderfully creepy and truly great comics. As much as I love the stuff that made him a comics household name in the 80's, the Swamp Thing stuff is what I come back to repeatedly. For that matter, the original 10 issues of Swamp Thing hold up wonderfully well, and are available in a full-size TPB or a 10-bucks-cheap digest size. The full-size TPB is great, but the digest reproduced the artwork well and is an absolute steal. I haven't read the new series, but I hear it's not bad. Honestly I'm happy to just let the Moore issues wrap up the character as a whole.

Hellboy is moody, stylish, and pretty cool, but I've only read a TPB and a few loose stories.

You may also want to take a look at the Courtney Crumrin comics by Ted Naifeh. They're not quite as heavy or "mature" as the others, but they're still pretty creepy and atmospheric, and it gets surprisingly dark in some sections.

Joss Whedon's Fray is a cool update to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's Joss Whedon Buffy-verse. 'Nuff said.

I'm sure I'm blanking on more of the horror/supernatural stuff, but that should at least get you started.

-- Ed/Ace

5. melibell21

hey guys....should i get Wizard magazine??? seems informational and fun. i'd just rather get two more comics a month...but is it that good??? ill just get a year sub if you guys recommend it.

6. DOOM2099

DOOM2099 Member

Heh. I'm all cliche I guess, with DKR, Watchmen and Avengers Forever on my list. Along with the 1st Wolverine Mini. And Frank Miller's run on Daerdevil. And anything (ANYTHING) with John romita JR (I know, I know, his dad was a pioneer and a genius, but JRJR is the bestest). Frank Miller and JRJR worked together on Daredvil Born Again(?) but I can't say it was the greatest story of all time. Seeing as how he was deflecting bullets at point blank range with his cane. But it was really good anyway.

7. MR.MXYZPTLK

MR.MXYZPTLK Mild Mannered Reporter

Hi I'm a really big fan of spawn comics and other comics ussually about dark magic (other than teen titans which I love) and I was wondering as a fan of spawn would I like hellboy? I no people who say its simmilar plus I've seen the art and I love it

8. Ed Liu

Howdy,

I think you can pretty much take the post I just made in response to melibell21 as recommendations for you along those lines as well. However, I'm not entirely convinced that Spawn's appeal is the dark magic itself, but more how it gets grafted on to a superhero comic. Then again, I haven't read an issue of Spawn since about #13 or so, so I admit that my impressions of the comic are just a bit out of date :).

A few others that might be worth looking at to get your horror comics fix:

- Neil Gaiman's Sandman, especially the earlier TPBs. Then again, it's just a really wicked cool comic involving magic, old gods, dreams, stories, and all kinds of other stuff you can barely imagine.
    - Mike Carey's Lucifer. It spins off from Sandman, so people who don't like Sandman (in addition to having no taste) probably won't care for Lucifer, either, but I don't think that a Sandman fan is automatically a Lucifer fan. Note that both these comics will require a certain flexibility in interpreting Christian dogma to enjoy.
    - I do know that there is a huge variety of horror manga out there that's is supposed to be at least as good, if not better, than anything comparable that American comics have to offer, but I also know that I have read exactly none of it. I think Blade of the Immortal may be worth a look the next time you're at a Borders.

-- Ed/Ace

9. melibell21

Hey guys........i've been hearing a lot about Manhunter and i am pissed at the jla for being so soft with villains. would manhunter be a nice alternative???? i heard she kills, but is the comic itself good??? is it well written cuz im not gonna just read about a girl who kills ppl. i was just wondering if it was intriging cuz then ill pick it up...

thanks

10. Nicktooney

Nicktooney Member

Looking for a comic

Well,since comics are cheaper than Manga and I love them so,which one should I get-

Lookin for-

A Fairly New Series

Action Included

Not mature,Mature

NOT Super-Man or Bat-Man

11. Ed Liu

Howdy,

Sorry, I'm afraid I'm confused by this requirement. Are you saying that you want something EXTRA mature, or that you don't want any mature-readers-only titles, or you want something that's mature but not wall-to-wall sex, violence, and swearing?

I'll merge this in with the "What Do You Recommend?" thread eventually (since otherwise I'm afraid it will just look like it got deleted on you), but it might be worth a few minutes to browse through there to see what others are enjoying and why.

-- Ed/Ace

12. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I have the answer, anyway. Get Runaways. It's great.

13. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

All shall read Hard Time. All shall enjoy.

14. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

I'd recommend the current creative teams runs on Captain America and Daredevil. Well worth gettting, and it's all done in a mature manner. Even if they are people dressed in spandex. :)

15. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

Like Ace, I'm not entirely clear on the criteria you're specifying, but I'll make some recommendations anyway. I'm going to assume by "Mature" you mean something that deals with adult themes in a somewhat serious and/or entertaining manner, without being childish or over the top. In that case, I'd recommend:

Ex Machina (Wildstorm) - Superhero action mixed with entertaining (and often well balanced) political issues, written by one of the best creators out there right now: Brian K. Vaughan.

Fallen Angel (IDW) - This book was originally published by DC, but was cancelled due to low sales. I was a huge fan of the book back then, and pushed it every chance I could. Now it's been revived by IDW, and is just as engaging, and has even more gorgeous art. The new title is easily accessible to new readers, and issue #2 just came out. Read the description of the first issue here.

Y: The Last Man (DC/Vertigo) - Another BKV title, focusing on the adventures of Yorick, the last man alive on the earth after a mysterious event wipes out all male mammals, but leaves the women alive.

16. Nicktooney

Nicktooney Member

this one-

or you want something that's mature but not wall-to-wall sex, violence, and swearing?

17. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

If that's what you're looking for, then I'm sticking with my recomendation of Daredevil and Captain America. The books Clayface mentioned aren't known for thier overdone adult tendancies either. :)

18. Ed Liu

19. Nicktooney

Nicktooney Member

that's what I don't want

20. Jor-El

Jor-El Krypton is doomed.

I recommend Manhunter and echo Clayface's recommendation of Fallen Angel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.