1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "Watchmen" Movie News & Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by William C. Maune, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

I'm personally of the mind that with quality writing and artistry, you can make something entertaining out of almost any plotline.

2. Alucard

Alucard Member

I enjoy the watchmen, but I was slightly dissapointed by the ending. Not because I disagreed with what it was trying to say, but because it seemed to come out of left field.

But what I can appreciate is the questions raised at the end. Most people accepted what Ozymandias did, Rorsoarch didn't, and he suffered for it. But I think the final panel in the comic shows how Alan Moore really felt about the situation.

It leaves alot open to intepretation, but thats why I like it.

Complaining about the heroes not being heroic is ridiculous. Watchmen is meant to show a world with truly flawed characters, and it does a pretty good job of it. It sacrafices they're flawless image, but in return we get some truly three dimensional characters.

Once again, read it for yourself and see how you feel about it. Thats the only way to know. Otherwise your just making blank judgements of what you think it is.

3. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Tell me, what would you define as "deep?"

Yes, if you watch the The Mindscape of Alan Moore documentary, he has very deep philosophical and spiritual beliefs, as well as perspectives on human nature. He's a complex thinker.

Lets end this discussion before one of mods has to do so, and things get very ugly.

4. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

3 dimensional character simply means that they are real. There are people that are truely heroes in real life. The flaws are there for the sake of flaws. That doesn't make them 3 dimensional. You are right, he "sacrifices" their heroic images. He gives us up a higher value for a lower value. I understand the plot. if i told you i read the book and still made these points would you still be arguing that i don't understand what moore was going for? The ending wasn't out of left field, it was completely in line with the rest of the story. I wish they had overcome their flaws and done what was right, but they lied to people. What they don't understand is that the underlying cause of man's inhumanity to man is still there even though they will now fight a fake alien invasion.

5. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

maybe it is deep material, but it's deep material that is very corrupt.

6. Ducard

Ducard Active Member

This is acknowledged directly in the book with Dr. Manhattan's final lines.

7. Alucard

Alucard Member

Watchmen is by no means a perfect book. Its interesting, and worth reading atleast once, if not because even though it does have some tiresome monologues and melodrama (I remember having to skim through a chapter which was entirely Dr Manhattens monlogue while he was on Mars) It also has some great characters and unforgettable moments.

I'm not saying you don't get it, but I don't believe anyone should judge a story before they've read it. Its ignorant to think you can get everything out of a story from a synopsis.

Not really

8. Ducard

Ducard Active Member

I like how it's going to be handled in the movie.

9. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

i never pretended that i got everything, but i got the major points. While the actual form of the ending seems random, the heroes' response by letting the lie be told is very much in line with the rest of the book.

Like i said before, you don't have to agree with me. If you like it then enjoy it. I'm just saying that i don't understand it's hype. It's been called "the most critically acclaimed graphic novel of all time" or something to that effect. However, that's like the catcher in the rhye. That book is considered a classic and it's terrible. That's my major contention.

10. peacebyanymeans

peacebyanymeans HORRIBLE FOR EVERYONE

But that's just it. You don't get the material. You're the one coming into a Watchmen talkback thread and claiming the story isn't interesting without even reading it, so yes, you are offending me.

You're either being a troll, or you really don't understand that what you are doing is going into a thread created for the conversation about the upcoming "Watchmen" movie just to say you don't get it, and when people ask 'why?,' you say it's uninteresting while saying you never read it (much emphasis of this part), and just keep on doing it, only angering the actual people who care about the source material, and taking up 2+ pages of post on your ridiculous statements (i.e. trolling). And that is just moronic.

And I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt to think that it's the latter, based on your views of judging a piece of media without even reading it.

Seriously, just leave. You're not interested in Watchmen. Okay, we get it, shut up about it. No one cares about your opinion, or, rather, shouldn't, because you haven't read the book. So your opinion is meaningless. I can say that Titanic is a bad movie. Not because I "know the major plot points," (which translates to "I read the Wikipedia page" to me), which, by the way, are:

- Claimed unsinkable ship is built
    - Rich girl and poor guy fall in love and have sex
    - Unsinkable ship sinks
    - She never "lets go"

But because I watched the movie, I can firmly say that the movie is indeed bad. So, to repeat myself, you don't have to keep coming back to repeat that you find it uninteresting, because it's just going to upset more people.

And if I sound like I'm being mean, or being a dick, it's probably because I am.

11. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Depends on who you ask ;).

That's actually an interesting variation. Watchmen is very, very much a product of its Regan/Thatcher-era times, so some could argue that it's dated in ways, while others might say it's a bit prophetic. Either way, it's a genre landmark. But I'll be interested to see how its handled as a movie.

It probably is. Whatever you think of it, there's probably no denying that few comics have met with as much acclaim or done more for the genre as a whole, good or bad.

You think that it's terrible. I, on the other hand, think that it's very good.

12. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

Catcher in the rye has a very mopy and negative character that doesn't do anything. He gets punched out by a pimp. That's it. The most interesting events of the story, him being kicked out of school and his parents reaction aren't shown. There's no plot to the book. It's badly written. You can still like it, but it's objectively badly written.

Feel free to like Watchmen, but still understand that the book is very philosophically corrupt. The heroes aren't heroic.

13. peacebyanymeans

That's what the book is about.

They aren't very heroic. They are very flawed characters.

You'd understand that if you read the book.

14. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

I did understand that. I want heroes that are heroes. I don't think that's too much to ask for in a comic about superHEROES.

15. TheScarecrow

TheScarecrow The Master Of Fear

Then go read a Batman comic and stop bashing a book you haven't even read.

16. peacebyanymeans

Then read Superman, or Spider-man, or Daredevil, or any of the hundreds of other characters that fit that description.

Go do that, and leave the people who like Watchmen be, because what you are doing is upsetting them. Just leave.

17. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Wait, what now? That's plain insulting.

The superhero term holds a meaning more colorful than a rainbow, pal.

18. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

It was meant to be, and i make no appologies for it. However, we're getting into a very sensitive subject so it's best if we just back off.

I never claimed that i wanted a rainbow. I'm fine with darkness, but so long as the characters are heroic then i'm fine.

19. Alucard

Alucard Member

So, do you atleast admit that this has more to do with your own personal prefences than the actual quality of the book?

20. peacebyanymeans

If it's so sensitive a subject for you to back off from it, you shouldn't have brought it up in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.