1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "The Dark Knight" Sequel News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael24

Azrael24 why?

yeah, but this is Nolan not Raimi, so i believe he can make another good batman movie, maybe not better than TDK but at least better than BB. Besides, as amzing as TDK was, it can be topped, there were still a few things that could have made it better. theres never a limit

2. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I don't think he cares about topping TDK so much as doing a story he wants to do. Because these films cannot be serialized it makes things harder to do, this film showed Bruce accepting his fate as a Dark Knight, from here on out he'll spend the rest of his life fighting crime, probably until his body breaks and beyond. I foresee this Bruce actually dying during a case. Maybe a third film could chronicle the rest of his life instead of one case as the first two have.

3. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

Christopher Nolan originally said that he planned on having Heath Ledger return as the Joker for the third installment. Obviously, with Ledger's death that's impossible. But, I don't recall reading anything that says he's not willing to recast the Joker.

4. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

He can't Ledger was too good. Bad idea. Let's just assume Joker was put on death row.

5. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm sorry but I think they have to recast him. I agree that Ledger was the stuff but just as Superman needs his Lex, Batsy needs his clown. I wouldn't mind if made the character a little different, but omitting him wouldn't be faithful to the source material.

6. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

What source? There's dozens of different realities to choose from, they may as well throw their own hand into the pile. Joker has done his damage.

7. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I just mean Batman in general. I haven't read Hush or Knightfall or anything like that, so I may be wrong about this, but from what I have read I took Joker to be the guy that gets under Batman's skin the best.

8. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

yeah, i know it was pretty much assumed the joker would be back in the third batman film. if they recast the joker, i really won't care. i think some people will throw a fit regardless of what they do with the joker. if they do recast and bring him in the movie, i can only see the joker's appearance very small and we would most likely just have his back twards the camera talking to someone in a cell at arkham and that's it. or they can do a cgi heath ledger and use recently discovered unused footage and dialogue that was shot durring the dark knight for use in the film and a potential sequel. ;) wow. now i wonder if there is a vast amount of footage and sound for them to even consider that possibility.

again i don't care if the joker is in it or not. i just want to throw out ideas. my idea of mentioning the joker in a subtle manner was meant to expand "nolan's gotham city" (i will never ever use the word universe. that's a different argument all together). these people and places from the comics exist, and i feel they should be referenced (if appropriate) in a film. the joker had a big impact in the dark knight, how can they not mention him in the next film? even if it's in the most subtle way.

here's what i mean by nolan "screwing up":
    before i start, i liked the dark knight. i don't think it's the best batman movie, i don't think it's one of the greatest comic book movies ever made, i'm not even sure if i rank this as 2nd or 3rd place when i rank the batman films in order from best to worst. i was dissapointed in the film, but i still liked it.

now, i'll ignore most of the things that have annoyed about the dark knight. i don't like or feel i should accept the idea of batman being wanted by the poilce and hunted down. that's not batman. i had to deal enough of that crap durring the early 2000s in the comics. the only time period where batman being wanted and where it's acceptable is in the year one era, which is exactly what batman begins was. aside from that, there are too many loose ends in the film that only nolan(s) and goyer know what happens afterwards. now lets say a new director comes and writer do a third batman. they are going to have no idea where to begin. they simply don't know.

maybe i shouldn't use the term "screwed up", but i have so much fustration twards the dark knight. i've been looking at how the dark knight affects the next batman film. i've been left thinking "can they really do anything". there were just so many things that was left unresolved in the dark knight that i would feel it would be a miracle to some how resolve all the "problems" the movie had. if anything i feel it would take almost the entire 3rd movie just to resolve everything. i don't want a film where they spend all the time resolving everything from the previous, i want a batman movie where it focus' on a new story/plot created for that film. not something it's main focus is everything that's happened in the previous movie.

none of that even matters. nolan and goyer have and had a plan for the next batman. im sure it will be altered a little in regards to the joker, but they have to have a plan. they couldn't have gone into the dark knight without one. could they??? (i ask that in a worried/curious tone. not a wise guy tone due to my dark knight feelings)

9. Azrael24

Azrael24 why?

um yeah it would, theres been lots of stories without Joker. Unlike Superman, Batman has a great Rogues galleries, with enough villains for the next movie.

10. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Well, for the 3rd Batman film, why don't just use a combination of stunt doubles/deleted footage from TDK/Keeping the Joker in the shadows/using Ledger's voice lifted/re-edited from TDK to keep him in the movie? I doubt the Joker would be anything but a cameo like the Scarecrow's was in TDK anyway.

11. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Nolan should just do what he did on Begins and introduce a villain whose never been on a big screen live action movie. Ledger was great (and iconic) as The Joker but it was the third time the character has been in an adaptation (following Cesar Romero and Jack Nicholson). So, he could use someone like Bane, Deadshot, or The Ventriloquist.

12. Mikintosh

Mikintosh Active Member

The idea of carrying villains over from one picture to the next ended with Ledger's death; they're not going to go through all that trouble for a cameo that would only have been worth it if Ledger was still playing the role.

Nolan needs to do Catwoman next time, both because there has to be some good out of killing off the series' love interest in the last installment, and it'd add a lot more sexual chemistry in the films, which were missing from the last two. Plus, it'll allow people to move on from the Halle Berry flick.

13. Harvey Two Face

Harvey Two Face Formerly Reiven

Yeah Catwoman would be pretty good, I just hope they use the right actress, but I'd also like to see either Ridler, Mr Freeze or possibly even Temple Fugate.

14. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Mr. Freeze would be good cause both him and Batman lost a loved one. But they could also use Talia and have everything come full circle.

15. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

Mr. Freeze isn't realistic for Nolan's version.

16. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Nolan doesn't have much villains left if he sticks to the whole realism nonsense.

17. Baltofan

Baltofan Active Member

How many Oscar noms will "The Dark Knight" get?

18. Tash

Tash Active Member

Like every Golden Age villain?

19. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Just allow Nolan to do what he wants.

20. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Let's see:

Best Supporting Actor for Heath Ledger (won)

Best Picture (I can dream. Richard Roeper mentioned it)

Best Visual Effects

Best Film Score

Best Director For Christopher Nolan

Best Costume Designer

Yeah, a far few.:sweat: Far-fetched, I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.