1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "The Dark Knight" News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

News is starting to pour in on The Dark Knight as more of the film is revealed. Look right here for all your questions, concerns, and scoops on the upcoming Batman Begins sequel!

[​IMG]

The Dark Knight Movie Synopsis:

"Christian Bale once again embodies the man behind the mask in The Dark Knight. The film reunites Bale with director Christopher Nolan and takes Batman across the world in his quest to fight a growing criminal threat. With the help of Lieutenant Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) and District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), Batman has been making headway against local crime...until a rising criminal mastermind known as The Joker (Heath Ledger) unleashes a fresh reign of chaos across Gotham City. To stop this devious new menace -- Batman's most personal and vicious enemy yet -- he will have to use every high-tech weapon in his arsenal and confront everything he believes."

For the latest news, check out the newest posts in this thread!

Related Threads:
    -Official "The Dark Knight" Speculation Thread, Part 3 (Possible Spoilers)
    -Official "The Dark Knight" Speculation Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)
    -Official "The Dark Knight" Speculation Thread, Part 1 (Possible Spoilers)

Related Links:
    -Batman On Film
    -Unofficial The Dark Knight Movie Blog
    -Superhero Hype

2. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Hey, first post (other than Jim of course) in the new thread! Okey-dokey.

First of all, that trailer is FANTASTIC. I feel more assured than I ever have about Nolan's/Ledger's take on the Joker. The whole makeup instead of bleached skin thing kind of worried me for a while there; but it looks like we're going to get a Joker who's truer to the character's original essence as a twisted, murderous monster than any we've seen so far, live action or animated.

And one thing that really grabbed me as I watched the trailer is that, every time we see Bale, he just feels so completely Batman. I'm not talking about the details of the costume (which I'm really not crazy about); I'm referring to the way we see Bale standing with the quintessential Batman brood as he surveys the wreckage of Joker-wrought havoc; and the way the scene with the Bat-Pod is filmed from the back, with his cape flowing behind, perfectly, just like an animated BTAS scene. Part of that is that Bale just seems to get Batman moreso than any other actor who's had the role; but a big part of it is that Chris Nolan really seems to get the right way to film a Batman scene. Instead of showing Batman in detail, Nolan generally seems to favor creating these iconic silhouettes that freeze-frame like a panel from a graphic novel. (Another result of this technique is that, even if, like me, you don't especially like the direction they've taken with the costume, it's a non-issue, because it's seldom seen in detail.) I think the team of Nolan and Bale have given us the truest live-action Batman we've ever been treated to, by FAR.

And I reeeally dig that poster with Joker from behind, holding the playing card. GREAT stuff. :cool:

If a trailer's goal is to get the audience utterly jazzed for a movie, then boy did this one work on me. I cannot WAIT for summer 08.

3. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

To quote Christian Bale[SIZE=-1]'s acceptance speech for Best Hero.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][SIZE=-1]"BATMAN BEGINS"[/SIZE] from MTV movie awards . After watching the badass trailer for "THE DARK KNIGHT" .

I'd like to thank Chris Nolan, who directed Batman Begins. I want to thank him for getting rid of those bloody nipples, and for giving the Dark Knight back some dignity...

4. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Poster repost!

Since they were on the tail end of the last thread, here are the two posters BatKid posted...

5. dc_gothamite

dc_gothamite dead is dead

im sorry, but those poster are just TOO bad-ass.... (i dunno wut im apologizing for:D)

EDIT: just saw the trailer.... just sick. Ledger's Joker is lookin to be a force of nature. "Let's put a smile on that face!!" Personally, i think his action, delivery, and laugh sold everything that ive come to expect from the joker... maniacal and menacing.

this is lookin to b one helluva ride, come May.

To quote Lucius Fox, "Now that's more like it, Mr. Wayne." :)

#5 dc_gothamite, Dec 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2007
  6. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Compared to the rather poor posters for Batman Begins, it seems the marketing boys finally know what they are doing this time around. That Joker posting is sweet.

7. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

I don't like the Batman poster. His posture isn't as strong or eye-catching as the Joker's. You can almost imagine him as slightly resigned in that image. He would have looked more statuesque and towering, if we saw just the cape. The arm sort of messes it up a little.

The Joker poster is very nice, though. I kind of feel like they missed a trick by not doing a mirror composition, so you'd got the sense that the Joker was in front of Batman's building, and that Bats was looking down on him, to sort of underscore them being adversaries.

8. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

I liked the trailer, pretty well done. I have to wait and see the film itself before I lament on Ledger's Joker though.

9. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Think you meant "comment," right? Hopefully you won't have to lament Ledger's performance. ;)
    (Based on the trailer, I've got a feeling we'll be lauding Ledger's rendition of Joker instead.)

10. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

I loved the trailer! I'm not as desperate now to see the Prologue.The trailer was good enough for me! Heath Ledger rocks! I take back all I said about him when he was first cast...he is the Joker! Great trailer and great action! Oh and "I Am Legend" was good too.

11. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

:D I'll admit, I'm pretty much ready to see Legend for the TDK trailer alone. Not sure I'd have any interest otherwise.

12. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Once I saw the TDK trailer I got so excited that I just thought about leaving because I wanted to see "The Dark Knight" so badly.It really got me high! ;)
    I will probably see the movie at least 5 times...and I'd also see it once in I-max.

13. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Hey do you guys remember the Wizard and Empire magazines with the Joker on the covers? Does anyone know where I can buy them? Oh and also is the Wizard magazine for January or something? Because I found a Jan 2008 issue but it had nothing to do with that issue we saw.

14. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

You really cant tell Ledger is playing the Joker. He is The Joker.

15. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Truly. I just cannot see Ledge. He's lost under the makeup.

Hey James Harvey, sir! Are these threads set up for an automatic closure upon hitting five hundred posts or must you do it manually? :confused:

16. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

The Joker posters are AMAZING. But I can't find the trailer. :crying:

17. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

18. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

Thanks a lot!

Can't wait to see that in IMAX.

EDIT: Wait...that wasn't the prlogue, did a trailer come out today in adition to the IMAX thing? Really cool, though.

19. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not James Harvey, but I can answer. It's a manual thing, you gotta keep the threads fresh, can you imagine if we were running on over 1500 posts? :eek:

20. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I'm definately as ambilent as everyone else about the idea of the Joker choosing to become what he does, and the makeup in the trailer couldn't look more like The Crow if it tried, but the teaser is pretty cool. I'm not quite sure if the visual scheme is off or if it's just because of the camcorder quality (Where was this taken?). Still, it's great to see the gang back, but I'll need a better-quality trailer to judge. On the whole though, I'm actually excited for a mainstream Hollywood film. That hasn't happened to cynical me in so long, that alone is a big achievement. Let's see you follow through Chris :D!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.