1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "Superman" Sequel News & Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikintosh

Mikintosh Active Member

I kind of don't want Mark Millar near the thing if he has that little respect for the first one. Plus, I haven't heard anything about Bryan Singer not directing the sequel, and why would DC allow it to lapse until 2011? They're behind Marvel enough already. And what's happening with Kate Bosworth?

2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

mark millar is all talk. i don't even want to hear what he has to say when it comes to a superman movie.

well, maybe he's coming off the wrong way on me since you can't detect the way someone says something when you're reading it. maybe he's just joking around.

i don't want a reboot. if we end up getting one, then at least bring back all the main cast from superman returns.

3. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I still say they could introduce Superman-Prime to reset reality. :p

4. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

I don't want that tiny piece of crap Kate Bosworth coming back as Lois Lane because she flat out suck in that role (IMO), And i hate her.

5. Harlan_Phoenix

Harlan_Phoenix Active Member

Mark Millar?

I demand a Red Son adaptation.

6. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

That actually might be an interesting idea for a new DCAU DTV....

7. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think he's an honest and serious guy. He didn't like SR. I didn't. I thought it was terrible as a film and as an adaptation of the character with lukewarm acting and terrible casting (Spacey did a good job, and Routh did a good Reeves impersonation, but neither felt like they truly nailed their characters for me).

It didn't do well. What Millar is saying that another film needs to drag itself away from the mainstream disaster of the first. He has a point. Look at Hulk - it was always a mistake that the production didn't UTTERLY distance themselves from the last film. I think Superman could suffer equally.

Millar is a good writer. Wasn't always. His first batch of work for 2000ad's Robo-hunter was terrible, but that said, at one point he was virtually writing each story for that weekly comic. As he's matured, he's got far, far better. I have a lot of respect for him now.

8. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

Considering the Superman franchise is once again in limbo and pretty much in the same shoes as Hulk was (and still is kinda)....I'm all for a reboot. I was a huge supporter of SR during production, but they let me down greatly. I expected Superman for the modern audience and what we got was a throwback that didn't even belong in this era.

Hearing Millar speak about it being his dream job, and knowing his writing ability, I'd more than welcome him to fix this franchise. He has a sense of what the comic book fans want, and most importantly, what appeals to the general audience.

9. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Im interested in seeing what Millar could do and the franchise definitely needs a reboot. Superman Returns is rated among most Superman fans as being horrible and I agree. I hope they dont continue Singer franchise as it currently is.

10. Mikintosh

Mikintosh Active Member

He's not a bad writer, I just don't like the way he's approaching the project (including talking about it before he's even signed up to do anything). 300 million worldwide isn't not doing well, considering the character hadn't been in a movie in 20 years and is considered outdated, and I though Hulk shows that doing a reboot of a franchise that had just a had a movie out a few years ago is confusing, which is what Millar wants, apparently. I wasn't too keen on the "Superman II: The Sequel" premise when it was announced, but it gave the film an interesting texture that no other superhero movie has, and I personally loved the acting (maybe Kate Bosworth could have played a bit older, but oh well) and the script, even if it wasn't a reboot like Batman was.

To do what Millar is suggesting is what Sony wants to do with Spider-Man IV, and they'll both end up with egg on their face.

11. Harlan_Phoenix

It's been a fanboy pipe dream of mine for a long time for it to be adapted as any type of movie. Live action would be oh so great...but, I wouldn't complain if it became an animated DTV.

12. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Seemingly, this is post I found contains Millar's views on The Man of Steel:

If anybody can find a link to a reputible source, by all means...

13. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

I can't provide a link, but I can verify that it's legit. I remember reading those exact quotes from Millar.

I know that there was a bit of a ruckus in how he saw the Superman world, but after reading it again, I don't have that much of a problem with it. He's got the core of the mythos dead-on imo. And it actually feels like if he made a movie, these characters would be interesting, which I cannot say for SR.

14. Harlan_Phoenix

I pretty much agree with Millar more or less to the letter there.

15. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I for one disagree with how he undermines Clark Kent and sees Lois as a whore. I mean really, Superman is a character who [should] appeal to everybody and treating him as some sort of God looking down on humanity just doesn't row my boat. Excuse the pun but my God, he was raised by human values and it is those values that drive him to protect and serve. He isn't protecting his 'pets', he is protecting his people.

I grew up on DCAU Superman where he was more then just an idea, he was a man. He got jealous [of Captain Marvel], he had fears [of losing his self-control], he loved [his family and friends], and he drank coffee [inside the batmobile be darned].

Superman is many notes that become one, a note of inspiration and a note of hope (the fact that that is actually two be darned).

#495 KYO'NYUU IMOUTO, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2008
  16. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

And I grew up with Post-Crisis DC continuity. :) I never liked Superman (I always thought of him as a boring boy scout) until I read John Byrne's Man of Steel.

When I saw Superman the Movie I was felt sorry for Clark Kent, and get angry with Lois Lane for preferring Superman over Kent, so when I read the Byrne's story where Kent steals a story from Lois I went crazy. :)

Superman is hard for us to relate because he is too powerful. If we stripe him of his humanity and makes him more of a God, it will help nothing with this matter.

A lot of ideas Millar is proposing are the same Synger used, including the Jesus analogy. If that's Millar ideas I hope he doesn't get a chance with this franchise.

#496 Young Justice, Jun 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2008
  17. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Yeah, I can work with synergy.

Pre-Crisis Superman wasn't a person, he was a walking plot device in blue tights, to put it like I have before read.

18. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

I'm with Millar on what he said about Superman. He should write the script for the next Superman movie.

19. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

Odd, Millar sounds like just as much a fan of Superman: TM as Singer, if not more so. I suppose he gets points for making no bones of the fact that he's basically using Pre-Crisis Supes (though he doesn't say it) but pretty much every criticism I've heard leveled at SR could be applied to Millar's pitch. He basically throws out the relatable aspect of Supes in favor of deifying him completely.

20. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Really? Based on what I've read (a few issues of his Ultimate X-Men run, a few shots of The Ultimates, and most especially the god-awful Wanted), I found myself pretty underwhelmed. With all due respect to Millar, I think that his assertions that pretty much everything that's been done with the character since 1986 is "wrong" and that he could "fix him" sound a touch on the overconfident side to me.

Sony wants to do what with the next installment of their most lucrative franchise? We've been debating how well it did or did not do for years now, but the fact seems to be that WB was underwhelmed with how the movie performed.

Elseworlds stuff would never get mainstream big-budget adaptations because of its unmarketable nature, unfortunately, I think. As cool as an adaptation of DRK would be....

The idea of an actual comic-book writer handling a comic-book film (This is a novel idea Hollywood!) is interesting, but Millar would not be my choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.