1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "Superman" Sequel News & Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

It's official! Let the speculation begin! From Variety:

As he as much as announced at the San Diego Comic-Con, Bryan Singer has signed on to direct a sequel to this summer’s Superman Returns, this according to Variety - confirming rumors that were flying at the end of last week.

The sequel, though not greenlit by the studio, is expected to be released in summer of 2009, although, according to the trade, there is no script or budget as of yet.

Warners has an option on Brandon Routh for the sequel, which, according to Singer when speaking at Comic-Con, will be more action-oriented, as the director said that while Superman Returns allowed him to introduce the cast, the sequel would allow him to, “Go Wrath of Khan on it." While Singer didn't name any particular villains that would be in the sequel, he teased - more than once – of an alien threat.

Comments? Thoughts? Let the speculation begin!

Related Discussion:
    -"Superman Returns" Talkback (Spoilers)

2. PeterFries

PeterFries Active Member

I wouldn't expect there to be much of anything to post here for at least a year, as Bryan Singer is taking a break from superheroics to direct a biopic about assassinated San Francisco mayor and gay activist Harvey Milk next, called The Mayor of Castro Street.

3. A.J

A.J Active Member

Awesome news.

By alien threat should I consider Brainiac or Darseid?? Or maybe someone else?? :confused:

4. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

It's good to see they're finally moving twoards a sequel. I take it the wait was purely on Returns's grindingly slow box office performance.

5. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

pfft why do that when Singer can just modernize Superman 2. Complete with the same villains, same story, add a kid, and the new and proved cellophane S...that'll be very expensive. Seriously tho, I wouldnt be suprised if he just uses Zod and crew again. I still feel Singer is the wrong man for the job, the only way he should stay from a creative standpoint is if he approaches the movie like the director of X Men and not like a 10 year old in 1978.

6. PeterFries

PeterFries Active Member

WB said in mid August that they were planning a sequel for 2009. The 'wait' until this rumor of an 'official announcement' was artificial.

I was an 11 year old in 1978 and therefore see nothing wrong with Singer's approach. ;)

7. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

i would like ot see them tie brainiac into that return to krypton sequence that was cut.

8. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

Ha, I want to see him rip off that embossed shield and throw it at someone. That's gotta be more effective than the cellophane shield. :)

Oh, and nay to Brainiac.

9. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

Braniac has to come in at some point in this franchise. He's one of the few villains that can work on-screen and is one of the recognizable characters from the Superman lore.

Plus it's the perfect opportunity, considering Supes went back to Krypton, and may have brought something to Earth unknowingly on his return..

10. Ragebot

Ragebot Active Member

Everybody, raise your hands if you're expecting to hear the kid say in the film: "I'm proud...very proud to be your son." :D

11. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I half expect Supes to do his own version of....

"KKKHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!!!!"

12. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

Glad they're doing it. I was a little worried there for a while.

13. Webryder

Webryder Cyclops aint got nothin' on me

Originally posted in the "Superman Returns" talkback:

If the sequel's villian turns out to be Brainiac, I just thought of the perfect actor to play him like I'd hope to see him portrayed in live action for the first time: Hugo Weaving....that's right, the rogue Agent Smith from The Matrix trilogy himself! :D The actor has already proven he can bestow a character with the right amount of calculating, machine-like menace in human form to turn Brainiac from a green, speedo-wearing, sideshow joke (like most people who aren't comic book readers know him as) to a great and deadly villian to watch onscreen. Who's with me?!? :D :evil:

14. MR.MXYZPTLK

MR.MXYZPTLK Mild Mannered Reporter

I really can't wait for this film! SR was one of my favourite comic book films, its good to see the films gonna be made.

So... Who's the villain gonna be....

15. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

It's one of those things that I can agree it would be awesome, but at the same time, since Weaving has done something like it before, it'd be interesting to see someone else show their their talents. That could be great though.

16. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Oh no, what if Shatner was in this film! Ham it up, Admiral!!

17. Webryder

If you believe a hero is only as great as his villians then in the sequel and movies that follow, the villians have to really seem up to the task of giving Superman a REAL threat. I think Weavings history of portraying great bad guys and acting skills he brings to the table could be very interesting to watch. It's another part he was born to play.

Besides if not Hugo, who else...?

18. HaagenDas

HaagenDas Active Member

He could work as Braniac. Already speaks like a robot.

"Oh...no...it's...the...Kling...ons."

19. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Then how do we know it will come out?

That's a bold statement indeed.

That narrows it down :p. Given the deleted scene from SR, brainiac seems the most logical, but Doomsday is also a good thought, though there primus-only-knows how many choices.

20. Webryder

I wouldn't go with Doomsday for the sequel. Not the way the character is written in the comics anyway. Too much brawn, no brains and that's only gonna hold an audience's interest for 5 minutes. A villian the opposite of that could challenge Superman in the way he's meant to be challenged: strategically and emotionally. The best Superman adventures are ones where just barging in and slugging it out don't work. It's when he's got to use the greatest ability in his arsenal, the ability to always quickly figure out the right thing to do in any given situation, that it gets really interesting. When everything is going to hell in a handbasket and he has to deal with multiple emergencies, some of which involve loved ones, and he just knows the best way to save the day without losing his moral righteousness and killing the bad guy. Spiderman only had to deal with 2 "sadistic choices", Mary Jane or the kids. Imagine what the choices have to be for a character of Superman's caliber to make it worth watching. That's where the drama is and one of the reasons he's the greatest of all time.

That ability was exploited or brought up in Supes 1 & 2, Kingdom Come and needs to be dealt with in the sequel to SR.

P.S. Remember at near the beginning of Supes 1, just after Krypton explodes and his starship is blasting thru outter space toward earth? Jor-el had recordings of himself telling baby Kal-el all these scientific theories: physics, astronomy, human physiology, etc. from "the 28 known galaxies". All those things prepared him for what he was eventually going to do on earth. It subconsciously instilled in him the basis for the strategems he'd use to tackle various problems and villians. He may not be able to recall it at will so he culd, say, cure cancer or something like that but when his back is up against the wall and brawn won't get it done, that knowledge somehow briefly re-emerges and helps him to find an answer. He is kryptonian after all, not to mention the son of one of it's best scientists, so he has the ability to think on higher planes of thought than a normal human would. If he could access it full-time he'd probably be the smartest being in this part of the universe. Don't get me wrong, it's not "Super-Intelligence" just a sixth sense that came from his father's "crystal recordings" as a baby. That's why I like when he goes up against someone who can make him tap into that more often.

I hope Singer gets that and keeps that in mind when choosing villians in the sequel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.