1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "Superman" Sequel News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

OK, sure, the Speed Racer movie bombed, but I'm still willing to give a Wachowski Bros. a chance to direct a Superman trilogy, just because it's Superman. As long as there's no "3rd wheel" guy and no super kid, it may not be terrible.

I just hope that the 1st film isn't a retelling of Supes' origin. We all know how Supes came to Earth by now. We don't need anymore of those.

2. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

I'll be honest. I liked Bound, the Matrix trilogy, V for Vendetta, and Speed Racer. So, I have nothing against this decision. However...it is well-known that the Matrix sequels weren't recieved as well as WB had hoped and Speed Racer bombed. That's why I'm surprised that WB is considering them. You'd think they would go with someone more...safe. Then again...Bryan Singer seemed like a "safe" choice and it backfired on them.

I think the best decision for WB, if they want the Wachowski's, it's to compromise. Hire them as writer-producers and let James McTeigue direct. It worked with V for Vendetta and might work with Ninja Assassins.

3. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

...the last time a Superman trilogy was rumored, it made Smallville look like Shakespeare.

4. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

wow. i just realized why a "complete" reboot is near "impossible" (at least for my logic anyway. anything to convince myself we're getting a sequel ;) ):

ok, lets just say the next superman is going to be a complete reboot. new everything. ok, so lets take a look at some recent superman comics and continuity:

action comics #840 - superman builds a new fortress of solitude in the arctic. this fortress is the same one in all the films

action comics #844 - general zod, ursa, and non make their first appearance in the superman comics (as a trio as they are in the movie). superman speaks to jor-el in the fortress, exactly the same way in the films.

action comics #870 - jonathan kent "dies".

over at least 2 years, the films have started to heavily influence the superman comics. i was glad to see the phantom zone trio to finally appear in the comics, but now i think they're just doing movie references for the sake of it. it won't be long now before the first 2 films will be "official" comic continuity.

last but not least we have the upcoming superman origins:
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/110828-Geoff-Secret-Origin.html

which will no doubt be a comic adaptation of the first film.

sure, there are other superman comics they can do. they can maybe use john byrne's man of steel, which has now become null and void over the years. specifically in "return to krypton". or maybe mark waid's birthright. which is up for debate whether or not it was in official continuity to begin with.

if the main goal is to stay more true to the comics, i don't see how following stories "erased" from continuity will help a reboot.

so while warner brothers continues to figure out what they're doing, it seems like the the first 2 films will continue influence continuity in the comics until the 2 films end up becoming part of the official superman comic book continuity. which in turn made bryan singer right to have superman returns take place after the first 2 films, therefore makes him right to do a sequel.

so if they want to do a reboot, go ahead and try. because there will be some donner influence in that film one way or the other too.

#484 rggkjg1, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  5. The Overlord

The Overlord Active Member

You are forgetting one thing the Donner films lacked: a competent version of Lex, like the Post crisis one.

6. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I just want a Superman movie where he kicks ass. Is that possible?

7. Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo Chill. It's only an opinion.

They're actually quite perfect for a Superman trilogy, especially since they have already made it.

Just change some of the words...
    Neo - Clark
    Matrix - Metropolis
    Zion - Smallville
    Trinity - Lois
    Smith - Brainiac

And you get...
    [​IMG]

8. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

regardless of what the next film is, i think we're done with lex. speaking of which, why do i get the feeling i have read something involving a lex land scheme in a superman comic recently? (that's a serious question)

9. Ducard

Ducard Active Member

10. Goodfellow

Goodfellow Active Member

If the Wachowski's do it, then Superman will finally be done right.

11. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

12. Mikintosh

Mikintosh Active Member

So if no Lex, who could possibly be the villain? Darkseid's too "out there" for a first installment (as well as Doomsday) and Metallo isn't iconic enough (and the rest of his rogue's gallery aren't even threats). There's a reason they have freaks of the week on Smallville; the comic book doesn't give them much to work with in the villain department.

13. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

Darkseid isn't iconic to general audiences either, but while he would seem out of place in a Singer sequel, there's no reason he couldn't work in a reboot with a completely different style.

There's probably also a reason Smallville has squeesed in classic Superman villains like Brainiac, Doomsday, Zod, Bizarro, etc. They're cool villains, and there's any number of lesser known villains that could work well on the big screen. You've got 70 years worth of history to draw on. If you can't find enough villains for 3 movies, you're probably in the wrong business.

14. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

:^:This. Just don't portray Big Blue as a weenie this time and I'll be satisfied.

15. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Y'know, it is possible to make a film seperate from the others which can stand as its own thing.

• Drop Lex completely: just don't bother.
    • Focus on a Lois competant enough to see past the glasses and have her immediatly trick Clark into telling the truth, just to get that unpleasent business out of the way.
    • Drop the alien angst: after twenty years as one of Earth, as a responsible adult, would he really go emo over this? He should know exactly who he is.
    • Introduce the Superman identiy as one of teaching, not playing God. Say some kid was being bullied--just for an example--instead of solving the kid's problem for them have Clark/Superman teach the kid to fight for himself. Sure, if the other punk pulls out a gun that is when he acts.
    • Don't dilly dally with the Lois and Clark relationship, it's suffocating. And this isn't Spider-Man so a solid relationship is hardly constricting.
    • Don't make Clark's closest friends at the DP complete idiots. After awhile Perry and Jimmy should get it through their thick skills, they don't necessarily need to tell Clark they know.
    • Do crap nobody else has ever done before and make it work.
    • Create film-only villains that are actually cool, if need be.

And this isn't even the specifics of what I would do.

16. The Overlord

The Overlord Active Member

I don't thnk so, post crisis Lex would not do something that stupid.

Plus, litle problem, there are many villains there: Metallo, Parasite, etc, who can't carry a movie on their own and could only work as Lex's hired help. So if you cut Lex out, you cut out all those other villains, that's a problem.

17. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

Yes, unless they have a new take on the character, forget about Lex. That said, the business tycoon Lex would still work, but not played by Spacey.

No, no, no, and a thousand times no. You might as well say, let Superman knock out the main villain with one punch, just to get that unpleasant business out of the way.

The serious Superman/Clark - Lois relationship is a dead end. It's so mind-numbingly dull. If it's a reboot, it's gotta be back to basics, where she doesn't know his secret identity. Ending the series with her finding out is fine, though.

Know what? That he's Superman? They can't know.

Yeah, that would be fine. I would prefer to stick to some of the original villains, if only to strengthen the Superman mythos legacy, but Zod was for all intents and purposes an original movie villain, so I guess it's OK.

I agree in principle, but it's such a fine line, you could easily cross straight into pure cheesiness. I've always thought Superman worked better as an inspiration, as opposed to taking an active role in teaching.

And that means no more origin. Everyone knows who Superman is, where he's from, and what he can do. Start the movie with that assumption.

18. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

But nobody but the DC animated universe has done even a competent job with the origin story.

I would have lex in the first one, but i'd have a physical baddy like metallo for superman to fight.

19. desi

desi Active Member

...and I bet you'd love to see Keanu Reeves as Superman.
    Come to think of it that wouldn't be too much of a stretch. Keana can easily do Superman! They would just have to hire a different actor to play Clark Kent.

20. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

What about the original Superman movie? I thought they nailed the origin by providing a brilliant explanation as to why he would become Superman and a great look at both Krypton and Smallville. The 3 act structure really worked - I can only imagine how better this franchise would've been had they kept Donner around.

Even the romance was done well - Superman saving Lois from the helicopter and immediatly being starstruck was a brilliant way to start thier romance, especially after her complete opposite reaction to meeting Clark Kent hours earlier. It also helped enhance his secret identity - do you really think bumbling Clark could be Superman?

I like that idea. Perhaps have Lex as a tweener like Harry was in Spider-Man 2 and build up for a future film, while giving Superman someone to fight in the first one. Just imagine what Stan Winston Studios could do with Brainiac!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.