1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "Superman" Sequel News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Look right here for all your questions, concerns, and scoops on the upcoming Superman sequel! This thread will be updated as new information becomes available.

[​IMG]
    For the latest news and scoops on the next Superman sequel/movie, check out the newest posts in this thread!

Related Discussion:
    -Superman Returns Talkback (Spoilers)

Note #1: Discussion continued from Official "Superman" Sequel News & Discussion Thread (Possible Spoilers).
    Note #2: Please keep this thread, and the discussion found within, ON-TOPIC. Warnings will be issued, if necessary.

2. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

No matter how often I visit this thread it keeps registering in my User CP as being unread. Maybe posting in shall fix this problem.

On topic: I'm still waiting for an announcement on who is writing the sequel...

3. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

so what's the skinny on the project to date?

I never checked in on the 1st thread nor do I really care to read through 500+ posts for ACTUAL data.

I'm guessing Supes won't be back next summer.

4. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

The skinny is that WB has tried to make it look like a Superman movie is in development for the past two years and at this point isn't fooling many people anymore. I wish it were otherwise.

5. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

Ah, so it's the 90s again. They should just outsource the project to Marvel Studios:p

6. Mikintosh

Mikintosh Active Member

I thought Bryan Singer said he was going to start work on it after his last movie...which I guess would be now, then. Why would they not be developing a sequel? They already have a director, an entire cast, a vague story idea (Superman vs. Metallo), and the previous movie didn't do that bad. Honestly, why does WB even own DC Comics if they don't use the characters to make movies?

7. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

where have you heard the superman vs metallo story? has this come from any of the cast/crew?

8. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

Metallo? Where did you get this from? They don't even seem to have writers at this point?

There are a couple of reasons. First of all, depending on who you ask, the first movie either posted a loss or just about broke even. That's simply not good enough for a supposed tentpole movie, and considering the negative press and poor word of mouth, there are concerns that a sequel would do even worse. The other problem is that WB have legitimate concerns about Singer, not just because he missed the target with the first movie, but because he seems to have gotten into a similar, if not worse mess with Valkyrie, and there have been rumors of a serious drug problem as well. Singer fans will point to the fact that his second X-Men movie did better than his first, but the fact of the matter is that neither of them made the kind of money WB want from a Superman movie. As DC's supposed flagship character, and the single most iconic and well known superhero of all time, Supes should really be making Spidey cash, and with Spidey, Transformers and Iron Man having raised the bar for the genre, both in terms of spectacle and money making, it's not hard to see why WB might be having second thoughts about Singer's approach.

9. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

So, I recall someone mentioning that WB wouldn't allow Singer to use any Superman villains other than Luthor and Zod. Is that true? Because if it is, then most of the blame for Superman Returns can be placed on the WB. Even if that isn't true, they should at least share part of the blame in approving the idea of a sequel to a 30 year old movie.

10. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

seriously not cool and not funny

11. I.D.Will19??

I.D.Will19?? Member

I hope that's not true. Who in the world would turn down the chance to cast Darkseid as the villain?! Now that's what I wanna see ;) .

12. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

Seriously i wasn't trying to be funny.

13. Harlan_Phoenix

Harlan_Phoenix Active Member

Then you lost your right to talk, because you've just displayed the tact and intelligence of an anteater huffing glue.

Anyway, concerning the villain limitations...that's a bit lame. I love Lex Luthor as much as the next guy, but we need more. Darkseid WOULD be pretty cool, and would probably a more appropriate bad guy, especially since it'd allow the movie to be more action oriented.

14. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

if this is true, i dont think warner bros is in any position to say what can be and not be used in a film. i don't care if they're paying for the budget. they used the same "creative control" for batman & robin and therefore get some of the blame for that movie.

15. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

And with that one statement, you've completely destroyed the chances of any opinion of yours being taken seriously.

Good, because it wasn't funny, and there's no way that a genderless movie could possibly be "gay". That makes no sense at all. Singer's sexual preference (whatever it may be) has nothing whatsoever to do with his abilities as a director.

Back on topic:

About the movie villains, I hope that it's not true. As much as I like Lex and General Zod, I don't want to see them in every Superman movie, especially when there are other Superman villains (Toyman, Bizarro, Metallo, Intergang, Parasite) who have yet to be depicted in a Superman feature.

#15 Goldstar Neo, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  16. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

I would love to see a creepified, horror-movie-esque version of the Toyman in one of the movies.

17. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

They possibly might be afraid people won't take the "outrageous" villains seriously when they transition to screen. Lex is human and Zod is an evil version of the hero; not much of a leap to accept if you're already at a movie about our Kryptonian hero.

Darkseid, ruler of Apokolips, is a bit much to take in, as well as possibly drawing religious fanatics to protest.

Intergang might work, but it might draw too many comparisons to Batman. Same with Toyman.

18. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

Then exactly what were you "trying to be"? What correlation is there between Singer's sexual orientation and his talent for film direction? Your critique is baseless & unenlightened.

19. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Seriously it was still a stupid thing to say.

20. Harlan_Phoenix

Harlan_Phoenix Active Member

I'd watch that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.