1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "Superman Returns" Movie News & Rumors Thread, Part II

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by bat313, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

I don't think it's out yet, though I may be wrong about the people overseas. Some of those scans above are from the book so it may be available in some places.

It isn't destroying the world as much as it is wrecking nearly half of the US. If you freeze-frame the part in the trailers where Lex is about to say "WRONG!", you'll see a huge map next to him of the US, but all of the east coast is pretty much broken apart (it's either that, or it's New Krypton, can't really tell). So he's just causing enough destruction to the point where economy wouldn't be pointless, but going to Lex is your only way of living.

2. stwasm

stwasm Active Member

Superman's Cape

Does it bother anyone else that, in the upcoming Superman movie with Brandon Routh, the cape does NOT bear the gold "S" symbol we've all grown to know and love? I just saw a screen capture and I HATED seeing the cape without it. The previews and special effects look good, but it just seems strange that the cape symbol is missing. Thoughts? :confused:

3. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

Doesn't seem strange to me. He doesn't wear it on S:TAS, JL, JLU...and I always thought it looked tacky in the movies.

4. stwasm

stwasm Active Member

Yeah, but quite a few posters -- including yours truly -- complained about that, as well. I guess I'm just a traditionalist and I grew up with seeing that insignia on his cape. It just seems strange without it.

5. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

I'm much more bothered by the small size of his chest symbol. A cape is a cape, you don't see Supes from behind that often, and until you pointed it out, I had almost forgotten he ever wore an S on it.

My favorite version of the S cape in the comics was the short period of time when he wore the chest insignia with a black background instead of yellow. The S on his cape was black as well, and that went together with the red even better than the yellow.

6. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

All I know about Superman's cape is, you don't tug on it.

And you don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger...

#486 Sharklady, May 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2006
  7. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nope I never thought the extra S shield looked very good at all. Give me a bole red cape anyday.

8. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

I agree. The size of the "S" on his chest sticks out to me as more of a problem than the one on his back. I too had forgot about it for the most part.

9. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

10. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

Also I believe you don't "tug on Superman's cape." I believe that's a song lyric from sometime back.

The reason Superman doesn't have the gold \S/ on his cape started with SupermanTAS in the mid 90s. Bruce Timm's design was created to be more sleak and simple. Therefore, it would just be easier to leave it off.

But that's no excuse for the movies, pretty please. I want it just because I can have it. And the \S/ on the front needs to be bigger. That's its purpose people!

I don't mean to be nit picky (as I may sound, which I also did a month ago earlier in the Superman Returns rumor thread) but I'm just saying when designing the movie costume you really should have brought me in, because my life long indepth and evolving fandom over the years would have been beneficial in bringing strength, style, AND logic to the design. :p

If the movie turns out to be as perfect for Superman's character as Batman Begins was for Batman, then this won't be TOO importanta topic, but right now I think we should at least discuss it in case a sequal decides to be made. Then we can use it to improve on things.

11. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

Well the omitting of the \S/ on the cape is pretty much the same as Timm's: it was too difficult to render during the sfx process. And even if they did include it, you wouldn't see it much during regular scenes since it's rare to see Supes from the back, and during the flying, the cape would be too rippled to show a clear depiction of the symbol. So they minds as well save themselves the trouble by just not including it.

I agree completely with the chest symbol though (I am growing on it though). Hopefully they can come up with a compromise for the size/texture of the symbol in sequels.

12. Terminatah

Terminatah Badass Cyborg

Actually, Timm and Singer both removed the S on the cape for pretty much the same reason: It was too tough to animate.

"They tested using the symbol but had to keep sending the work back because the symbol didn't look right. It was decided to drop the symbol when they went back to the comic and found out that the symbol didn't show up on the cape until after more than a year into the series." - Paraphrasing of answer at Superman: The Animated Series panel discussion on 9.21.96. Timm and Co. also addressed the difficulty of animating the cape insignia in one of the STAS DVD commentaries.

"Many departments didn't want an 'S' on the back of the costume, for many reasons. Visual effects knew it would be tough to CGI the cape when they had to with an 'S' on it. They didn't want the 'S.' Bryan didn't want the 'S.' [Production Designer] Guy Dyas didn't want the 'S.' No one wanted the 'S' on the cape. It's too hard to control. Unless he's standing completely still, it doesn't look right. If you see it, you wonder what it is. It would just look unnatural. Instead, we put an 'S' on his belt." - Superman Returns costume designer Louise Mingenbach.

-Terminatah

13. Silly McGooses

And you don't mess around with Slim

14. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

WIRED.COM:

#494 BatKid, May 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2006
  15. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

> Also I believe you don't "tug on Superman's cape." I believe that's a song lyric from sometime back. <

Quite right. It's from 'You Don't Mess Around With Jim' by Jim Croce (the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.)

Here's the opening verse:

Uptown got it's hustlers,
    The Bowery got it's bums,
    And forty-second street got big Jim Walker
    He a pool shootin' son of a gun.
    Yeah, he big and dumb as a man can come
    But he stronger than a country hoss,
    And when the bad folks all get together at night
    You know they all call big Jim 'boss'...just because!

And they say:
    "You don't tug on Superman's cape,
    You don't spit into the wind,
    You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger
    And you don't mess around with Jim!"

16. Silly McGooses

But at the end of the song, doesn't slim cut Jim up so he looks like "A jigsaw puzzle wif a couple 'a pieces gone?"

Or am I thinking of one of the many other Jim Croce songs about tough guys who get their comeuppance? Bad Bad Leroy Brown perhaps?

Anyway, how bout that Superman? Yesss sir.

17. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

[​IMG]

Take a look at the middle poster:

[​IMG]

For those that have been keeping up, that's the poster (we barely saw it, but that's definitely it) behind Singer while he was doing the ShoWest interview. The other poster behind him is the one that WB officially released a few days ago. So I'm betting that poster above will be released soon, as the "love-themed" variation (ala SM2's double posters).

18. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

19. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

> But at the end of the song, doesn't slim cut Jim up so he looks like "A jigsaw puzzle wif a couple 'a pieces gone?" <

Jim is, indeed, displaced by Slim by the song's closing stanza. But it was 'Bad Leroy Brown' who wound up resembling "a jigsaw puzzle wif a couple 'a pieces gone."

Jim Croce did seem to like singing about that progression.

20. DR.MID-NITE

DR.MID-NITE The Original

Scary how much he resembles Christopher Reeve in this pic. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.