1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "Superman Returns" Movie News & Rumors Thread, Part II

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by bat313, Jul 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bat313

bat313 Active Member

NOTE: Continued from Official "Superman Returns" Movie News & Rumors Thread, Part 1.

Forgive my ingnorance but how can they just "ignore" the last two movies? I mean, with batman they are officially starting over, but to assume people are familiar with the original two superman films is crazy enough, but then those that are familiar with it, im sure, will have a problem just discreteting the last two films. I dunno, does this make sence to anyone else?

2. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

As I've said before, take this film as the Superman version of Batman '89. It hints at certain story elements from previous incarnations, but makes its own timeline.

Singer's trying to take the best elements out of all the mythos (tv, movies, and comics) and make it into one.

3. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

So is the costume is darker or not because it certainly has looked like it in every unmanipulated pic I have seen. And let me say after everything I have read I still dont like Singer's direction on the film. Lois Lane's baby, Goofy Clarks and far too much of a Donner influence have turned me off to the film as of right now.

4. Supremus

Supremus Active Member

Yes, it would certainly seem that the colors are still very dark, despite that second variation on the original photo to disprove it. That said, Singer clearly plans to do a lot of color processing on this movie, and it's very possible that these are the ideal colors for the costume to come out right after processing, just like the George Reeves costumes used strange colors to come out right in b/w. Still, it would be stupid to release promotional images that weren't color corrected, so...?

5. Style

Style The Green Style Returns

Too much Dooner influence? How can you have too much of that? Donner's Superman was one of the best versions of Superman ever.

6. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Look I enjoyed the Donner films as much as the next guy even with all the stupid and illogical things that happened in them... but that was Superman 25 years ago. Things have changed and that version is old and dated.

Singer wants to make Clark a goof ball nerd and he hasn't been regularly portrayed that way since his reboot in 1986. Clarks a lot cooler than that now.

I want Ma and Pa Kent alive. They added and influenced what Superman is and why he does what he does. His mom is supposed to be the one who makes his suits.

I want a different take on the Fortress of Solitude and not a rehash of the Donner design.

I also want a different type of Krypton and not the one with the white haired Marlon Brando Jor-el and the crystallized looking ships and so on.

So basically I was hoping for a more modern take on the Man of Steel.

7. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Singer "kills" Clark's parents again?! :eek: I wish he'd just done X3. :mad:

8. Casey Mack

Casey Mack Active Member

lol i liked the Donner films even though soem of the "Feats" superman performed were well just dumb. reversing time by changing the Earths rotation is stupid.

2. Superman begins his career at 30 after spending 12 years of his life locked up in the fotress.:sweat:

3.eveything that happened in the Fotress of soltuide in Superman 2 envolving Zod and his men.:ack:

4.Superman haveing a machine that takes away his powers.:sweat:

5. Superman not takeing down one criminal in Metropolis

6.Superman useing his heat vison to "rebuild" the great wall of china.

7.SUPERMAN REVERSING TIME JUST INCASE YOU FORGOT!

those are just some of my probelms with the old donner films. I hoped Singer would bring superman into this century like how Batman begins did. But, no we have the same old plot and once again lack of superman villians except for Lex... freaking... Luthor again.:sweat: I was hopeing for Darksied when i heard about the new superman flick, i was hpeing for Braniac. But, no once again Lex luthor is the only Villian we see.

9. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

As it appears in the in the promotional images, the suit does still have the darker colors. However, Singer made a point in that they are still very much early in the process of color correcting with their new 'Genesis' camera. So while the colors are as they are now in pictures, they won't necessarily be what they look like on film.

The Kents, only Pa Kent is dead. Ma Kent is alive and well, sending postcards to Lois, posing as Clark from his travels around the world (so no one suspects Clark as Supes during the disappearance).

Lois' baby...if it is true, then yeah, I think Singer didn't need to go that far. But something inside me just says that there will be something of a twist to the kid's role. What it is, I don't know..but that's what my gut feeling is.

As for the whole style of the film, I can learn to like it, even love it. I too would've loved it if Singer didn't take so much from the Donner films, but I can't really blame him since that version is considered very highly by fans. He's also going for an art deco look to the film, so that itself should be pretty interesting to see on screen. From what my friends have seen at the Comic Con, they say Superman looks amazing and most of their doubts have been put to rest. Here's hoping the footage will make its way online...

10. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

So there is atleast a Ma Kent im glad to hear that atleast.

What is the explanation for that? Did he have "wall vision"?

11. Terminatah

Terminatah Badass Cyborg

Except for the jewel thief who was suction-cupping down the side of a building. Superman stands sideways on it and freaks him out ("Hi there. Something wrong with the elevator?"). He then immediately hand-delivers a boat-load of robbers right to the police after that one guy tries to hit him with the pipe ("Bad vibrations?"). He also saves a kitten from a tree.

When did that happen?

-Terminatah

12. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Donner's Superman was based on the pre-Crisis Superman, a character that could basically do anything. Including turning the world backwards and that kiss with Lois.

I'm not too fond of the idea of Lois having a kid, it seems well... completly out of character. I still think the idea of Superman "returning" should have been left for a sequel, and use this movie to re-introduce the characters into todays world.

I'm glad they have bumbling Clark though... the revamped version is really, really dull.

13. Zri USA

Zri USA Member

ROTFL

Hardly, the first two films are timeless, and when you think about it, the stupidity in the movies when it came to certain attributes were nothing new in the pre-crisis comics at that point...you DO know by the time the movie came out, it was WAY before the Byrne revamp, and it was set at a time where the Superman comics were an absolute farce. Superhorses, imaginary stories, ludicrous super villains, the Donner movies were etched in a semi-realistic world, a contemporary setting that only helped to influence the Byrne revamp years later

Superman himself presently is a dated character, invulnerable to all, including consistent reinvention. You can't do anything new with this guy, so why rehash ANOTHER boring origin story? We all know it. Lets' see something new, lets' see an origin as an after-thought, so many complain we get too many origin adventures, this is'nt one, so now we have to turn a 180 because we get our demands answered because it's based on, according to your opinion, "dated?!

Don't watch it then, the Superman of the comics now is nothing more than a wallflower leeching off of the Peter Parker/Mary Jane relationship dynamic with Lois, the only new thing any of them have done with the titles is make Lex Luthor a super villain in every sense of the word.

14. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

Dark Horizons has posted up the official finalized logo for the film:

[​IMG]

Now, these colors are obviously much different from the suit we saw in the promo pics. Would it be safe to guess that with Singer's recent comments about not yet finishing the color correction on the film, that these will be the final suit colors?

15. Supremus

Supremus Active Member

Embarressing. They're really not trying very hard. While the logo from the original movie now looks a little dated in terms of style, it was a proper piece of artwork that someone clearly put some thought and effort into creating. By comparison, This looks like an amateurish, cheap, piece of youknowwhat that most people with basic 3D modelling/rendering skills could whip up in an afternoon.

Like I said in an earlier post, I would expect the color correction and post processing to have a significant effect on how the suit turns out on screen, in which case it's a little strange that they would post these misleading "raw" pictures.

#15 Supremus, Jul 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2005
  16. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

Here's a little manip of what the suit may look like if Singer uses the colors from the official logo...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to make it as accurate as possible taking into account the lighting for the 2 suit pics. Hopefully it gives an idea of what it might look like...

17. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Desipte how "timeless" the first two movies are this is a new time and era and things change and that change is what I wanted incorporated into the film. Which if you are paying attention is my only real problem with this movie.
    Well since I pointed out Superman's revamp on this very same page I would say I DO know the Donner films were before the characters comic revamp but that's hardly the point.

When did I ask for a origin story? I'm fairly certain I didn't. They don't have to do anything involving the characters origin at all it really doesn't matter to me
    As I said before I didn't ask for a origin story. My only complaint is that they are basing the movie on the old franchise instead of making it truly new. Whats the point of even using the same desgns from the original Superman?

Well you can believe one thing me watching or not watching this movie wont be based on anything anyone else says including you.

18. Zri USA

Zri USA Member

Oh yeah, a contemporary setting now where wars driven by greed, and bombings driven by abadoment and relgious issues shatter our every news cast...THAT'S the "time and the place" you want?

Because it was a solid interpretation that, from failed script after failed script, has proven difficult to remotley surpass, there going back to using the old wheel, adding new oil, they clearly think the only way to keep this franchise alive is by replacing the broken wheels, and keeping the ones that are'nt.

19. Casey Mack

Casey Mack Active Member

so if I see superman reverse time again, im walking out of the movie.

20. Zri USA

Zri USA Member

Good riddence then, I'll be more than happy munching my popcorn not giving a rats' backside for realistic expectations from a freaking science ficition movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.