1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "Spider-Man 3" Movie News & Rumors Thread (Possible Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Wonder Woman, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Well, it's never too early to have one of these threads I suppose. Granted the movie is two years away but news is starting to slowly trickle out about it. Some news has been recently posted at Superhero Hype! about the next sequel:

Sony Pictures has made a seven-figure deal for Alvin Sargent to write Spider-Man 3, with an option to write the fourth movie as well, reports Variety. He has already begun work on the third film, which has a tentative release date of May 4, 2007.

The trade says Sargent is widely credited with whipping a problematic Spider-Man 2 script into shape, but he has evolved into the voice of the franchise.

Sargent got sole screen credit on the sequel but also did uncredited rewrite work on the first film, which was penned by David Koepp.

Sargent was brought on to polish the original film by his wife, Laura Ziskin, who produces the "Spider-Man" films with Marvel's Avi Arad. Koepp took a crack at writing the first draft of the sequel, followed by Smallville creators and scripting team Alfred Gough and Miles Millar and then author Michael Chabon. Sargent then was brought back and wound up with sole script credit.

The studio has not yet disclosed the storyline or villain for Spider-Man 3, but the story has already been crafted by Sargent along with director Sam Raimi and his brother, Ivan Raimi.

There's also a French promo picture for Spider-Man 3:

http://superherohype.com/nextraimages/frenchspidey3promo.jpg

2. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Good news. Not only are we getting a quality writer to return, but we've also the option of a 4th film, which everyone seems to be keeping quiet about.

It's still not odvious which root they intend to take. So many villains to use, so many directions for Spidey to travel in. Should be awesome.

3. LightAngel

LightAngel Child of Twilight

Ah, Spiderman, one of the few sequels I'm actually looking forward to. Glad to hear there's going to be a fourth one. I probably shouldn't be surprised though, but it's still good news nonetheless.

4. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A tad disappointed. After SPIDER-MAN 2, I was hoping they'd get David Koepp back. But, needless to say, I'm still looking forward to. If Raimi wasn't returning, then I'd really be worried.

As for villains, I'd like to see either The Lizard (since they already set up Dr. Connors in SP2) and/or Green Goblin 2 since they set up Harry finding out Norman's secret at the end. Of course, I still want to see Spidey tackle Venom and Carnage on the big screen, that would require new origins for them. I don't see Sony doing a movie where Spidey goes into space, which is where he picked up the black suit that lead to the creation of Venom.

5. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

the pic doesn't work in the above link.

I still think the Lizard would be a lame villain. Connors being in the movie was just Fanservce, pure and simple. I would like to see a gold version of the Goblin outfit with red eyes and a tattered brown cape. Maybe not necessarilly Harry, but he could hire somoene to go after Spidey. Depending on how deranged he is.... (IE he's so far cgone that his conscience would allow for a madman to wreak havok to innocents jsut to get to Peter)

6. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I would like to see the Green Goblin's look return to the look he had in the comic book, with the tattered clothing and hood and everything. I guess they attempted it for the first film (I saw some pre-production costume sketches that kept that look), but for one reason or another, they decided to go with that POWER RANGER villain costume instead. :D

7. cheungcheung

cheungcheung Mwahaha

throw meeelions and meeeelions of dollars in front of tobey and kirsten for them to return for spidey-4...

otherwise, they can do something shady and only hire tobey for spider-man 4 and have kirsten shoot a cameo for 4 during her shooting of spidey 3 or something..

although i'm not sure if that breaks any Hollywood rules or anything.

8. Wonder Woman

With a new name under the Venom symbiote (click here) I wonder if that would have any affect on his character appearing in the third movie. I can't wait to find out who the villian is for the third feature. I don't know how they're going to top Doc Ock but I hope they can pull it off. I'm just glad they got Alvin Sargent involved again. He did a great job fixing the script for the secondmvie and polishing the script for the original.

9. Metroid_spy

Metroid_spy Talkshow Hosts!

yeah same here. my very spiderman obsessed friend said that tobey signed a contract saying that there would only be spiderman 3 and no spiderman 4. dunno if its true or not.

10. Wonder Woman

Here's a link to the SHH! post that had the image:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=2450

Hopefully that will work. I know it's far away but I'm already looking forward to this. I can't wait to find out what villian Riami choose but we probably won't know that until mid-2006!

11. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think it'll be hard to top Doc Ock. :D He was alright, but for some reason, I didn't find him nearly as interesting a character as Osbourn. (Then again, Doc Ock was always one of my least-favorite Spider-Man villains to begin with.)

12. silverwings

silverwings Ronin of Light

Too bad they can't use Kingpin, the Black Widows, or the Black Cat. Heck, how about just a Black Cat spin-off? :p

What? The Black Cat was awesome.

13. cheungcheung

cheungcheung Mwahaha

WHAAAAT????

why can't they use black cat?

she'd be awesome in the spidey movies... and she could definitely be a barrier for the peter/mj relationship that is obviously the key to these movies.

and..

and... eliza dushku.. :(

14. Squall

Squall Calm Before The Storm

I hope they don't use the Green Goblin again. Even if it's the original's son in a new costume, we've seen this villian before, so why not show us something we haven't seen on the big screen before?

I still hope they do use Venom. They could rewrite Venom's origin so that it has nothing to do with space, or so that Spider-Man doesn't 'wear' Venom for a while. Perhaps Venom could be the result of a genetic experiment gone wrong in a science lab in a New York City suburb?

The Lizard would be OK for a third villian. Just don't repeat villians -- no more Green Goblin! :)

15. Wonder Woman

I was thinking about this today and they could still bring in the character without a hitch. Now there are some spoilers for the current storyline in the Marvel Knights: Spider-Man comic so you better stop reading now!

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

Mac Gargon is now in possession of the Venom symbiote. That could change anytime now but until that does he is now Venom. I remember the Scorpion was created by J. Jonah Jameson to get rid of Spider-Man. Well now that Mac Gargon is Venom why not use that origin for Venom in the movie? Have JJJ go about the same methods but instead come up with his own spider-themed character to battle Spider-Man? That way Venom can be worked into the third movie.

16. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That sounds pretty plausible, though since I have no idea who this MacGargon is, I'd hope they go with the original Venom, Eddie Brock.

Though I remember an interview with Raimi where he was asked about Venom, and he said he didn't have much interest in using him because he thought he was a really weak character who's goal--destroy Spider-Man at all costs--was just too weak and average. Though I'm sure Raimi could come up with something interesting to add to the character.

17. randomguy

randomguy Came, liked Ike, and left.

I was really pulling for Venom for a while, and I still think it could work if they used an origin similiar to Ultimate Spider-Man's Venom, but I'm not quite as gung-ho about that as I used to be. It occurred to me the other day that the movies have established a real Silver Age kind-of feel, so it might be appropriate to the atmosphere to stick to the Ditko villains. Just my take.

18. MJC

MJC Active Member

I still think Harry will become Hobgoblin, and that there will be two villains.

19. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Member

I hope to see Uncle Ben again.

20. All-Star 1.5

All-Star 1.5 Active Member

One word CLONES

Seriously, I think that it would be cool to see Spiderman 3 probably do a version of the clone saga I don't care if it was just a dream or somthing. The idea of two wall-crawlers fighting each other on screen is just visually appealing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.