The Official "So What Do You Recommend?" Thread (Vol. 3)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by wonderfly, Jan 18, 2011.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

Welcome to the NEW Official "So What Do You Recommend" thread (Vol. 3)!

If you wish to see previous recommendations (some of which may be out of date) you can check out these previous threads;

"So What Do You Recommend?" Vol. 1
    "So What Do You Recommend?" Vol. 2

The idea of this thread is pretty simple: In an effort to minimize the number of threads arising from people asking "So what's a good title for me to read?" this thread has been created to be your "one stop" place to find comic recommendations!

In this thread, you may do the following:

1. Ask for a recommendation for a comic title or genre, (such as, "What's a good mystery comic book to read?")
    2. Ask if a specific title/issue is worth reading, (such as, "Is Jonah Hex any good?")
    3. Plug a comic you think is worth reading, (in other words, you don't neccesarily have to wait for someone to ask for a recommendation).

Please note that recommendations/requests for online comic books/strips is handled in a different thread, which can be found here.

Now without further ado: Begin your requests/recommendations!!!

2. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord

I have to recommend again, Love & Capes. The series is coming out of hiatus with a new miniseries as of February, and after the miniseries, the main series will return as a monthly (before 2011, about 3-4 issues came out a year).

But yeah, I've pointed this comic out because it's one of the best counter comics to all of those darker and gratuitous super hero titles (Like King of the Hill and the early Adult Swim, it's adult vibes come from subtle and clever writing). The humor is plentiful and present without interfering in the more emotional moments.

As far as the romance angle goes, the writer is more than willing to continue past the wedding as opposed to most who think that "romance is only interesting before the main couple get together".

And of course in light of a recent discussion I made, the series while story based manages many self contained issues, thus very approachable for any newcomer. No decompression and aside from the miniseries, the title is completely self contained. Even then, the monthly won't resume until the miniseries is complete, so you won't be having to buy multiple books a month.

Most importantly, the first issue is legally online for free, so you can sample the kind of stories you're in for: http://www.loveandcapes.com/readit/lnc0101.html

But as for the prior issues, aside from 13, the previous issues are available in trades.

3. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

Soldier Zero, The Traveler, and Starborn are three titles by BOOM Studios that deserve more eyes on them, they are wonderfully written and boast fun artwork by the creative teams and not only that, but Stan Lee is the man behind all the ideas. Seriously, check out these books sometime because I think everyone will be pleasently surprised at how good these titles have been since the line has launched.

4. Cents

Cents New Member

DC Elseworlds Recommendations?

Recently checked out Kingdom Come and Superman: Red Son and was heavily impressed by both comics. Any suggestions for what other Elseworlds titles to check out? Picking up Superman/Batman Generations I later this week.

5. wonderfly

Cents, I merged your thread with our official "So What Do You Recommend?" thread. Someone can answer your question about Elseworld titles from here.

I personally recommend hunting down "Batman & Dracula: Red Rain" myself (available in this collection now)...

6. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

batman: gotham by gaslight - the very first elseworlds story by dc. takes place in late 1800s/early 1900s gotham city.
    http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/graphic_novels/?gn=5704

batman: the dark knight returns - pretty sure this was once considered elseworlds. not sure if it still is. i consider it an elseworlds story. REQUIRED reading none the less.
    http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/graphic_novels/?gn=1279

superman: speeding bullets - kal-el's spaceship crashes in gotham and thomas and martha wayne adopt him and name him bruce. years pass and bruce's parents are killed right in front of him while leaving a movie.......
    http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=101491

batman: son of the demon - was an elseworld's story, but is now part of the batman cannon/continuity.
    http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/graphic_novels/?gn=1268

7. colonelcrowther

colonelcrowther New Member

Wonderwoman

hey i just read a few wonderwoman graphic novels for the first time. love and murder, amazons attack and the circle. Just wondered if anybody could recommend any other good ww ones? THANKS ALOT

8. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord

Not really any storylines, but you can find some older Wonder Woman tales in Showcase Presents Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman Chronicles.

9. wonderfly

Colonelcrowther, I've merged your thread with the "So What Do You Recommend" thread. Someone (like Antiyonder just did) can answer your question in this thread.

10. Cents

Cents New Member

Sorry, wasn't aware this thread existed. Makes a lot of sense cause half the board probably would be things like that.

rggkjg1, I actually picked up Superman: Speeding Bullets yesterday and loved it. Gaslight sounds interesting

11. Manga4life

On top of the Stan Lee titles put out by BOOM Studios that I mentioned earlier in this thread, I would like to reccomend The Grim Ghost and Phoenix which will be published by Avatar Comics starting in March of this year, I have the #0's for each book and they were fun reads. Check them out at Avatar-comics.com!

12. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

You know, one of my favorite Elseworlds stories isn't in some deluxe format book, it's a two-parter from the Elseworlds Annuals event that DC did in 1994. The story is called The Super Seven and its about a superhero resistance after an alien invasion. The first part is in Adventures of Superman Annual 6 and the second part is in Superboy Annual 1. Well worth picking up for some very memorable moments and I'm sure you can find it cheap.

James Robinson's The Golden Age is technically an Elseworlds, it's a really great story about the JSA after the war.

13. rggkjg1

with the recent announcment that wizard is no more. i need help finding a new comic book magazine to replace wizard with. i'm looking for something that stays up to date and has news on current events in the industry. i've seen a few comic magazines that focused on past events and older creators (an alter ego issue i own comes to mind). i'm also looking for a magazine that has a price guide included as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011
  14. Shawn Hopkins

I like Comic Buyer's Guide. After that you really have no choices for one that actually focuses on current news, so you might as well get Comic Buyer's Guide. No price guide anymore, though, sorry. That era has ended. The era where back issues sales actually happen enough in comic book stores that there needs to be a monthly printed guide to their price fluctuations has in fact ended.

15. rggkjg1

comic buyer's guide it is then. just got the newest issue put in my bin at my comic store. i looked them up online, and a 1 year subscription costs the same as a wizard 1 year. so i guess i'm good there.

16. Manga4life

It's so sad. I remember back in the 90's when I had a close relationship with a few managers/owners of a chain of comic book shops in my area I would discuss sales with them all the time, many of them stated that back issue purchases were booming and they often found themselves with gaps in their back issue bins because everyone was buying everything up (especially during 1/2 off sales). Nowadays when I visit my local comic book shops (new owners) I notice that everyone in there is basically there to pick up their pull list and then they split, nobody is scouring the back issue bins like back in the day, it's depressing and it's making me feel like the comic book industry as a whole is close to collapsing, even though I know it's not going anywhere.

17. Shawn Hopkins

It's sorta their own fault, in part. For years you'd go to the comic store and try to buy a back issue and you couldn't get a good deal, they'd go to their Overstreets or Wizards and charge you guide or more (usually NM regardless of actual condition) because they knew you had no other options. Then Ebay came along and there certainly was another option, usually way cheaper, but comic stores didn't adapt until it's way too late. Now there' so little interest in my comic store's back issues that the guy at the store basically admitted to me it has become largely a giant dollar bin.

Other factors are also at play, of course. Trade paperbacks of every major story have made back issues less desirable. There's less interest in comics in general. And rampant, easy comics piracy online makes people less likely to buy back issues when they can download them.

18. Manga4life

The plus side to this all is that most of my local comic book haunts have back issues that they used to sell for $10-$15 down to about $5-$7 and one guy had mentioned to me that basically everything that was originally $5-$7 he has put in the back issue bins for $1.50-$2.00. I recently got a slew of ASM's from the early 90's for a mere $1.50 each from one store and because I bought 25+ issues the guy gave me a decent discount, I think I paid about $30 for 36 books. Not bad at all!

I agree with you though, because of TBP's, the internet, a decline in popularity and to a lesser extent digital comics, back issues just aren't the big deal that they used to be anymore to collectors. It makes me sad because I remember back in the day when a local chain of comic stores would have their 1/2 off sales there would be dozens of people in the store at one time and everyone came with their checklists of what they needed, sometimes after hitting one store I would go on to the next and bump into the same people from the previous store. Good times man, good times.

19. Shawn Hopkins

There's nothing really to be sad about. Now it's easier for most people who aren't into the collection element to find the storylines they really want to read. Overall the advent of the trade has been a positive thing.

20. Manga4life

In that respect it has, I just miss the days of scouring back issue bins and the joy I would get when I found the gem I was looking for, throughout my years as a consumer and collector I can't think of anything that has brought me such joy. The thrill of the hunt is always fun for me, but I admit, sometimes I use Midtowncomics.com or eBay when I need something rare instead of hunting it down, because of this collecting has kind of dulled a bit due to things being easier to find.