1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 3

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Stu, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

It's time for the 3rd installment of the Marvel Animation DVD News Thread, folks! This is the place to post all DVD news, your dream releases and any rumoured releases! Please keep all DVD talk in here!

For the latest news, check out the newest posts in this thread!

To check out the newest information, look for the newest post in this thread for any updates. For the latest information on what's coming to DVD from the Animated Marvel Universe, check out the links below:

-Marvel Animation Age
    -Toon Zone News

Archive:
    The Official Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 2
    The Official Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 1

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

WOW!

This is excellent news! I was getting worried about the Spider-Man DVD but it looks like we're going to finally get it. I hope it's the last single disc release we get! I want to see those mutli-disc sets!

3. Pyro

Pyro Active Member

Cool, Maybe now I'll be able to see more than 4 episodes of the FF series.

4. Wonder Woman

I hope this will open alot of doors to see more complete animated Marvel cartoons on DVD. There's only 21 episodes of The Incredible Hulk and that could easily make a three disc set. Silver Surfer is only 13 episodes long and could easily fit on two same with Spider-Man Unlimited. I want Disney to pursue all these options and hope they do.

5. Crow

Crow Active Member

The 'MTV' Spider-Man cartoon (what is its actual name?), I've seen that on DVD in the shops here.

1. What's it got on it?

2. Is it the only one of its kind or are there multiple volumes?

3. What is it like? By this I mean the DVD itself and yeah the shows on it as well.

6. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

That could happen if Fantastic Four sales are really high. It's more likely (in my opinion) that we are more likely to get those series if sales of FF are average to high and Disney desides to do more releases to tie-in with movies. I think Iron Man is likely, as are Spider-Man and X-Men. However, Spider-Man Unlimited is a lot less likely.

The Incredible Hulk is very unlikely; the movie flopped, so a sequel isn't going to happen. I doubt Disney will see the Hulk as a valuable show. I wouldn't bet on a Silver Surfer release either. Even if there is a movie to release the DVD with, I doubt Disney would be willing to release a series that ends on the first part of a two-part arc. A single DVD release for SS might be the best we can get.

In short: I think we'll see more of Spider-Man, X-Men, and Iron Man; very little of the Incredible Hulk and S-M Unlimited; and maybe a little of the Silver Surfer.

7. Zebi

Zebi Take off, eh!

The "MTV" Spider-Man cartoon is actually called Spider-Man: The New Animated Series. Some on the board shorten that to TNAS.

The show is available on DVD in both a "special edition" and as four individual DVDs. The Special Edition has all 13 episodes on 2 discs, and has additional features like commentary.

I haven't picked up any of the individual DVDs, so I don't know what they have. You might want to look them up on Amazon and see if they list the disc details.

8. Stu

1. Depending on which release you've seen, all 13 episodes with a great amount of features, or 'impulse buy' discs with a mere 3 episodes. I've reviewed the season one set here on my site. If you take a look on the site, you can get a more in depth look at the quality of the episodes in the reviews.

2. As said above, there's more than one version available. The site's DVD section shows you what discs are available. I'd recommend the season set, as well... the others are a blatant rip off.

3. The DVD whoops ass, no two ways about it. I enjoyed the show myself, but others didn't. I'd recommend the DVD, I personally find it so much better on disc than the hacked up televised order. Parts of the plots literally made no sense on TV simply because they aired in any random order!

If you do pick it up, please let us know what you think. Will be interesting to hear your thoughts, Crow. :)

9. Crow

Crow Active Member

The one I saw was definitely the Series One Set. Thanks for the info, guys. I'm not sure I'll be able to get it anytime soon - Spidey you might have seen me posting that I've finally seen Starcrossed all because I got the DVD sent from the US - because it was a while ago I saw it in this particular shop.

What will be interesting is how the Region 4/PAL/Australian format product fares against the Region 1/NTSC/American product.

10. Stu

I've actually read an Austrilian review of the disc somewhere (you may have posted a link) and it pretty much confirmed that the region 4 release is exactly the same as the region 1 release.

Starcrossed was produced by the WB, infamous for basically ignoring animation fans in other regions. Not BTAS sets for us here in the UK, nor any Batman Beyond, Teen Titans, Superman etc.

11. Crow

Crow Active Member

That's right, I did post a link to it. That is very heartening to hear that both versions are the same.

This was the site I linked to the other month - http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/ - look on the front page and past news archives to see how many releases of - let's be honest - rubbish Warner Home Video Australia is releasing.

Sony/Columbia Tristar do it right, and they do it well.

12. Wonder Woman

Since Spider-Man: The Venom Saga has been already released in some places internationally is there a place where I can see some screenshots of the the episodes and menus on the release?

13. Stu

I'll be adding a review to my site shortly. Would've had it done sooner, but the FF are a demanding lot. :)

14. Wonder Woman

Excellent! I'm interested to see if they toyed around with the usual menu set-up.

I have another question. Do they bill all five episodes on the DVD as "The Venom Saga" or are "Venom Returns" and "Carnage" seperate from the other three?

15. Stu

Venom Returns And Carnage are seperate. The discs still use the basic 'play all' feature, but you can individually select each episode.

16. Wonder Woman

Are there previews for any other Marvel DVDs on it? Probably not. I can't wait to see some screengrabs and menu shots up on the website. You guys are doing a good job on the website and I can't wait for new updates.

17. Stu

I was actually anticipating seeing the previews for the disc, hoping they'd sneak an announcement on there. There are previews, but only for Spider-Man Vs Doc Ock and X-Men: Wolverine's Story, which surprised me, as they never promoted it when it was released.

We should be adding to our site very soon, possibly as early as next week! We're still making our way through Spidey too, with some updates to come soon, God willing. :)

18. Stu

Eeeep, double post, never good. According to Maximus Entertainment, region 2 is getting more Marvel DVDs, specifically the 60's shows.

Coming 4/11/05 for £12.99:

Avengers, The - Vol. 3
    Captain America - Vol. 3
    Iron Man - Vol. 3
    Mighty Thor, The - Vol. 3
    Sub-Mariner - Vol. 3

Since we're not getting the box set anymore, I think I'm going to get the Iron Man and Captain America discs. I wonder if they'll shrink wrap them together like they did with all of the first volumes of these releases.

19. Dogbert

Dogbert I Don't See Gravity

It's not nice to copy someone else's post without giving due credit. :(

20. Stu

Whoops! Didn't mean any offense! You know I love you, and all your posts wdg8! :sweat:

My apologies. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.