1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 2

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Animation Otaku, Nov 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Animation Otaku

Animation Otaku Active Member

It's time for the 2nd installment of the Marvel Animation DVD News Thread, folks! This is the place to post all DVD news, your dream releases any rumored releases, etc! Please keep all DVD talk in here!

For the latest news, check out the newest posts in this thread!

Now, where did we leave off? Oh yes!

Unfortunately, I think the remainder of S2 will look like this(I doubt they'll have 5 episodes on a disc)
    Volume 3:
    Joyride
    Mindbender
    Walk on the Wild Side

Volume 4:
    Shadow Dance
    Retreat
    Operation: Rebirth

Volume 5:
    The HeX Factor
    Day of Reckoning Part 1
    Day of Reckoning Part 2

Moderator Edit: This is Part 2 of this topic. To access part one, click here.

2. Pyro

Pyro Active Member

:D :D :D I am sooo getting this! How come the cover art says special edition? What's special about it? Is there going to be a normal one too? Either way, I'll be buying the "special edition" one.
    Notice it says season one too. I really hope it gets picked up for a second season.

3. The Master Con

The Master Con Dark Glass

I love the fact that you make this statement when Mutant Rising was originally supposed to have 5 episodes, and this newly announced disc has 4. The only reason Season One had 3-4 episodes per disc was to parallel the previous VHS releases. So that with the discs they could aslo reissue the VHS versions, and the forth disc/video, as well.

4. Animation Otaku

Animation Otaku Active Member

And perhaps there is a reason for that. I'm guessing they got cold feet and decided to try and drag the DVD release out longer.

5. joshualane

joshualane I want some pie

There won't be a "normal edition"... sometimes companies decide to name a release a "special edition" either because it actually is one, or they're trying to hype up the title. In this case, it looks like there might be some decent enough features to warrant the title, but I'm not sure. With 13 eps spread across 2 discs, I don't know how much room they have left for extra goodies.

6. The Master Con

The Master Con Dark Glass

You fail to see the point of my post. They will continue to release the discs with 4 episodes just as they have with BTAS, JL, and other series sets.

7. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

is there a JL dvd release on this same date?

8. JTurner954

JTurner954 Paradigm City, USA

I know there is a Superman: The Animated Series disc, but nothing about JL (Warner sure has been slow about their announcements haven't they?).

Kind of offtopic question: Are there any episodes of Spider-man: TAS that involve the X-men? If so, could they release a DVD to coincide with the next Spider-man movie?

9. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

there was a Spidey/X-Men xover?

it was during that 20+ chapter long Neogenics Nightmare storyline (what a frikkin' soap opera that turned out to be :rolleyes: )

anyway, one was produced for Spider-Man, the conclusion was produced for the X-Men series. Spidey broke into the Manor and wound up in the Danger Room fighting simulated Sentinels. There's a scuffle between him and the X-Men before he's detained. He came to Prof. X to cure him, however, the prof tells him he cannot cure him (and that being a mutant isn't a diease to be cured) Parker lashes out, claiming he doesn't want to be a freak. Logan takes excpetion but Parker storms off before he can have a word w/ the webhead. McCoy goes after Spider-Man, because he knows how it feels to hate what you've become.

subplot: Kingpin and Hobgoblin are involved in a power struggle for control of the NY Underworld. Kingpin has a scientist developing some sort of mutagenic formula. this scientist hates the Kingpin and sells his secrets to Hoby for a price. this same scientist was once a colleague of Hank McCoy. Beast is kidnapped by said scientist and Spidey and Logan duke it out in an alley. There's a female lab asst. who has telekenetic powers. She's working w/ the scientist to cure herself of her mutant genes. There's an accident and the scientist is exposed to his own concoction and becomes this giant mutant beast 9like Chemo in JL "Metamorphosis") It takes the X-Men and Spidey to defeat the creature...w/ the aid of the woman lab asst's powers. In the end, that scientist has a Two-Face-like deformity: half-man, half-Toxic Avenger scarring.

phew!

10. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

It's a given that there will be six episodes on one disc, seven on the other. That's a good two - two and a half hours right there. That does make me wonder how big these extras, the rough animation, etc, will be on the disc. With a lot of time being taken up by the episodes, I bet these extras will be only five or ten minutes long at the most.

11. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

www.superherohype.com has this to say on the features of this DVD!

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment has given Superhero Hype! an exclusive first look at the final artwork for the first season Spider-Man: The New Animated Series Special Edition 2-Disc DVD coming on January 13.

In the MTV series, starring the voices of Neil Patrick Harris, Ian Ziering and Lisa Loeb, Peter Parker is attending Empire State University, where he struggles to balance his new responsibilities as Spider-Man with the problems of being a freshman at college with MJ and Harry.

The DVD includes a blooper reel, a music featurette, cast and crew filmographies, a photo gallery, a post-production featurette, and multi-angle playing. You can pre-order the DVD at www.amazon.com

Sounds like a great disc, can't wait til January! That post-production featurette will hopefully confirm that we are getting a second series.

12. Icer

Icer Active Member

SHH! posted another picture of the DVD cover art, it's different than the one posted here. (it's an actual DVD/cover changed a little)

Just felt like mentioning it, since the previous post neglected to.

13. Wonder Woman

14. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

It even says theatrical trailers. As in, not trailers to promote the other TV releases they are doing.

Also, those are some sweet menus! And the features sound great, commertary on both discs, not just the pilot as I originally thought (are you listening Smallville!)

I can't wait to get this

15. Mysteryinfoman

Mysteryinfoman Sada Pop

Those menus and cover art look great. If it does have a trailer for Spider-man 2 then another reason why I might get it. :D

16. Silent Bob

Silent Bob Guest

I noticed that the aspect ratio is 1.78:1 - it's going to be in widescreen! Now that is very cool! And the extras are pretty nice. Based on the back of the cover art, here is what we're getting:

Disc 1:
    -Audio Commentary
    -Amazing Spider-facts
    -DVD-Rom Character Modellers
    -Production Artwork
    -Cast and Crew Filmographies

Disc 2:
    -Audio Commentary
    -Amazing Spider-Facts
    -Test Footage
    -Building the Layers (Multi-Angle Featurette)
    -The Making of Spider-Man
    -Spider-Man Tech: Creating the Models
    -Spider-Man Tech: Animating Performance
    -Spider-Man Music: The Composers
    -Theatrical Trailers

That sounds to be a fine list of extras! I'm assuming seven episodes will be on the first disc, and six on the second, based on the amount of extras on each DVD. This looks to be a mighty impressive release. And I bet we'll get a peek at Spider-Man 2 in there.

17. Wonder Woman

I hear ya, Wolverine! This two disc set looks to be great. I smiled when I saw the "Mastered in High Definition" tag on it. These episodes are going to look great on DVD, especially in widescreen.

18. Cyclops

Cyclops Active Member

I'm confused -- why would WB drop it down to three episodes a disc when people are already complaining about the discs only have four episodes? I understand that the first season discs only have three episodes because they're basically DVD versions of the tapes released. And since the next X-Men: Evo DVD will have four episodes, I see no reason why it'd be any different.

19. Wonder Woman

There's a trailer for the DVD/Animated Series on the upcoming Bad Boys II DVD, according to a review at CurrentDVD.com.

20. Silent Bob

Silent Bob Guest

I caught a good episode of the series on YTV this weekend that has me a bit more convinced to pick up this release. Of course, the fact that it's a two disc set, meaning the price'll be reasonable, will also be good.

I bet we'll see the Spidey 2 trailer, since it's premeiring a month before in December. It bet it'll be on there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.