1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Marvel Animation DVD Thread, Part 1

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

It's time for the 1st installment of the Marvel Animation DVD News Thread, folks! This is the place to post all DVD news, your dream releases any rumored releases, etc! Please keep all DVD talk in here!

For the latest news, check out the newest posts in this thread!

2. ZorBrak

ZorBrak I AM A BUFFET OF MANLINESS.

So . . . is Spiderman TAS coming out? if so is FOX handling it please tell me that UNIVERSAL is not becuase they suck if we can all recall the crappy X-MEN DVDs....which I still bought :p ...and Why did Universal release the series instead of FOX that was mean and dissapointing, FOX and UNIVERSAL you mean mean poopie faces! I want season sets! ::cries::

3. Eraserhead

Eraserhead somewhere near the outskirtz

Bakshi's SPIDER-MAN or SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS certainly would'nt hurt either...Even though they're longshots compared to SPIDERMAN TAS.

4. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

I want a full set of Spider Man and His Amazing Friends on DVD. But a Bakshi Spider Man series?? When was that done? Must have been before my time...

5. Eraserhead

Eraserhead somewhere near the outskirtz

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0061301

If you got KaZaa, you can get the classic mp3 theme for me!

6. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Along time back, Spider-Man Hype! reported that animated Spider-Man DVDs were in the works, and that UNVIERSAL was the likely candidate. That was a long time ago so things have likely changed.

7. Joe Tully

Joe Tully I want the toilet seat.

Personally, I'd love to see someone put out the 60s, pre-Herbie Fantastic Four cartoons that someone was looking for on here a while back.

I never knew that Bakshi worked on the old Spidey cartoons!

8. James Harvey

Spider-Man: The Ultimate Villian Showdown DVD

Looks like Disney is putting it's Saban rights to use:

Buena Vista Home Entertainment has announced that Spider-Man: The Ultimate Villian Showdown is coming to VHS ($14.99 S.R.P.) and DVD ($19.99 S.R.P.) on April 30, 2002. The pre-order date is set for March 19th. Here is how they describe the video...

America's #1 superhero, Spider-Man spins a web of animated excitement in SPIDER-MAN: THE ULTIMATE VILLAIN SHOWDOWN, new to Disney DVD and video. Featuring the thrilling origin of Spidey's archenemy the Green Goblin, the webslinger not only goes head-to-head with the Goblin, he takes on the sinister Doctor Octopus, the criminal Kingpin and more of his city's most cunning fiends in "The Ultimate Villain Showdown." Then, discover for yourself how it all began for Spider-Man in this special, full-length animated adventure.

The above will be a compliaiton of various Spider-Man TAS episodes.

9. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Re: Spider-Man: The Ultimate Villian Showdown DVD

This is bad, because the Spider-Man series had entire seasons that were connected together. Episodes all over the place is not the way to go, as it will be confusing to people who haven't seen it before. Hell, it might even be confusing to people the have seen the episodes before.

10. James Harvey

The episodes will be edited togethor and will have parts edited out. I did a bit more digigng and found out that at least two episodes will be from season one, and they were (thankfully) unconnected. The others willbe from season two and three. This means that some parts will be edited to drop subplots.

Thank you, Disney. Thanks alot.

11. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

I am not very excited about this. Why can't we just get the episodes uncut and in order?

12. James Harvey

Why? Becuase it'd be to simple and not complicated. And where's the fun in that?

Honestly though, I can understand Disney's attempt to make a 'seamless' movie, but do we really need them too? A set of 13 episodes in a three disc set would be better...

Anyone else want the best episode Night of the Lizard on disc already?

13. Joe Wagner

Joe Wagner The one, true Scarlet Spider!

Disney and Spider-Man?

Geez! I just read Jims post about the new Spidey DVD from Disney - what is up with that?! When did Disney acquire the rights for all of Sabans stuff? 'The Ultimate Villain Showdown' - that's gotta be one of the worst titles I've ever heard. Granted I've lobbied for some Spidey episodes on DVD but they're even editing these espisodes into a movie. From the villains listed the only thing I can think of is the Sins of the Father arc - but these episodes don't even sound like they would make a movie. Why can't they just leave them in episode form and do it that way? What's next, maybe trying to to edit together Power Rangers and Buzz Lightyear to make a better story? Arrgh!!!!!!

-Joe!

14. Tim Drake

Tim Drake Active Member

Yeah what exactly do they mean by editing several episodes together to make a movie?? Or they cutting and pasting animation with new dialogue?? Sounds like Spiderman all over anyway. That show used more repeated animation than all other shows combined.

15. Joe Wagner

I think they are just taking random episodes and saying that they all flow together as a movie, i seriously doubt that they would create a new movie out of it esp. since there is a new Spidey toon coming out this fall. Just ticks me off that they are going to be cutting scenes out here and there. I never minded some of the same animation scenes in the Spidey toon, actually i remember coming home from school and chilling to fox with Bats and Spidey back to back and then switching to Gargoyles for an hour - those were the days! Someone needs to tell Disney we don't want 48 sequels to every movie they've ever done and to stop killing the things we do want (Spidey season sets, Gargoyles, Team Atlantis, etc...)

-Joe

16. ShadowWolf

ShadowWolf Member

Well, i just don't get it.
    Can't they see that people want season sets.
    Can't they see that season sets sells pretty good.
    I'm getting tired of a bunch of suits telling me what I like and what i don't like.
    I'm sorry to say this, but I sure will not be buying it.

17. Joe Wagner

As soon as I read Jims article i posted over on the anigen board. I can't believe Disney's pockets are that poor that they would destroy the great work of an entire series just to make a quick buck. Oh wait, nevermind this is the same organization that decided to make a sequel to every animated movie they have except the one that is ready for a sequel (Tarzan)! I would love to have the entire black costume saga on DVD, but not as a movie edited by some suit that has no idea what spidey is all about. Season sets! Season sets! Can someone explain to me why Saban sold to the strip minning organization that is Disney?

-Joe!

18. James Harvey

Yeah - this DVD ruins it. Remember some of the Spidey VHSes that were released awhile back, speficially GOBLIN WAR when they edited togethor 5 GOBLIN episodes (3 Hobgoblin, 2 Green) that had nothing to do with each other? Plus it was probably really confusing to the new regular viewer who likely had no idea about all the changing subplots. In the span of ninety minutes we learn that Peter just met MJ, MJ is now dating Harry, Harry is now insane, and Peter & MJ are engaged....okay...

19. Deltamon

Deltamon Serving Digieggs with Ham

...Holy shnikies.

Disney now wants to slag up OTHER PEOPLE's animated creations, now.

At least when Kid's WB! airs one of its special-themed marathons it doesn't try to mesh them together in a movie-like form and hope to get something watchable outta it! This is madness!

And to think, when I was little, I'd grin from ear to ear in pride whenever someone looked at my caricatures and suggested 'that I should work for Disney'! Nowadays, if someone told me that, I'd take it as an insult :mad: :mad: :mad:

My youth...gone...hope yer happy, ya butchers.

20. Joe Wagner

Yep, I can just imagine what this movie is going to look like. Isn't there some way Marvel could block this from happening? This can't be good for their image of Spidey, esp when they are working so hard to improve it. Why do I have the feeling this movie is going to feel like the 'korean animation' segment from the Clerks cartoon - except for they'll actually be trying.

-Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.