The Official "DC Animation Commentaries" Thread

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Trevor Balena, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Aldrius

Aldrius Arrogant Instigator

Hmm... forget if I asked this. (Too lazy to look.) But do you take episode requests? @_@

2. Trevor Balena

Trevor Balena Active Member

Well, I'm currently working my way through JLU in order. So I'm not likely to jump ahead, if what you're considering requesting is a later JLU episode. However, I might take a break in between seasons and do an episode or two from a different series.

Couldn't hurt to ask, right? :)

3. Aldrius

True. I was actually wondering if you would be doing commentaries on the movies at all.

4. Trevor Balena

I've thought about it. It's definitely something I want to do at some point.

The problem would be filling the time. Talking about the histories of the characters and the making of the show eats up twenty minutes, which is perfect for a TV episode, but would leave me with an hour of dead air for a movie! The key would be to do copious research on the actors, watch the movie a couple of times and make lots of notes, etc. It would be a much bigger time commitment.

But as I said, I do plan to take a whack at it some day. I'd love to do something for Phantasm...

5. Aldrius

Just the movie I had in mind. :p

6. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

In your commentary, Trevor, you mention that the name of the child Green Lantern in Epilogue is a nod towards Hal Jordan's sidekick.

I might be wrong in this, but to my knowledge, the Greek letters chi and rho (XP) are an ancient symbol for Jesus Christ, which kind of ties into Hal Jordan in the comics becoming The Spectre, the instrument of God.

The child GL being Chi-Rho (Christ) is - at least symbolically - the "son" of the original GL (Hal) who became the Spectre (God, so to speak).

7. Trevor Balena

Interesting. But I wonder if the Superfriends writers (who created the original character "Kairo") put that much thought into their work. ;)

8. Trevor Balena

"Aren't all zombies by definition dead?"

Wake The Dead is now available. Listen to it, or AMAZO will teleport you into the sun.

Season 5 Spoiler Warning: Nothin'.

9. Trevor Balena

"Now that's a healthy gal."

The Once And Future Thing, Part I is now available. Listen to it, or Enid Clinton will scream at you.

Season 5 Spoiler Warning: Do I still need this thing? Guess not. Move along.

10. Trevor Balena

BIG NEWS!

From my perspective, anyway. My site just had its ten thousandth commentary download. I'm excited! Clearly.

11. JEWCY

JEWCY Member

very happy for you T. you run some very insightful/interesting commentaries that everyone around here (and internet community) seem to like.

Keep up the good work :)

-J

12. Bat Bruce

Bat Bruce Active Member

Good stuff as always. Look forward to part 2 and all its batty goodness:D

13. S.C.B

S.C.B Too close.

Listening to these commentaries is always fun; it's like a crash course in DC Comics history. I will add something, though; you mentioned some confusion at the moment where John hesitates when introducing Batman to the others. To me that was John feeling uncomfortable calling him 'Bruce'. While he does know who he is and feels okay sitting around and chatting to him about romantic issues, calling him Bruce would be on a personal level that they just don't have. The only other Leaguers who call him Bruce are Superman (known him the longest; closest thing to a friend when the League began) and Diana (romantically interested). Just my two cents.

Keep up the good work!

14. Trevor Balena

Yeah, that's kinda what I settled on over the years. I always thought it was an odd bit, though. Neither here nor there, within the context of that scene. Oh, well.

And thanks for listening, guys!

15. Palin Dromos

Palin Dromos The Abyss Stares Back

Hey TB,

Just wanted to thank you for indulging my spoiler aversion with your commentary warnings over the last few months.

Of course, with the recent release of JLU Season 2(5), spoilers (as far as I'm concerned) are moot.

So Thanx again and keep up the good work.

Ciao!

16. Trevor Balena

"Nice on the stealth thing, lady!"

The Once And Future Thing, Part II is now available. Listen to it, or colonial-era riflemen with bad accents will shoot you in the gut, and then you'll be ripped limb from limb by self-replicating Raggedy Ann-style teenyboppers with lightsabery whips. Wait, what?

17. S.C.B

S.C.B Too close.

I completely missed that 'fire at will' pun. Made me chuckle away after you pointed it out. I also enjoyed how you quickly said 'Green Lantern theme' in the middle of a sentence without missing a beat; it's exactly how my brain works in these shows when I hear a musical motif.

Once again, another twenty minutes of fun. Your mention of 'Out of the Past' made me wonder; any plans for a Batman Beyond commentary?

18. Trevor Balena

I've been considering doing just that, actually. Given that I'm at a logical point in JLU to take a break (being in between Seasons 3 and 4), and the final BB set just came out, now might be the time. Perhaps "Out Of The Past" or "The Call", both of which certainly deserve commentaries? We'll see how I feel next week...

Thanks for listening... and so quickly, too!

19. Palin Dromos

Palin Dromos The Abyss Stares Back

TB

Just listened to both parts of TOAFT, TGSNT, and Wake the Dead, all in a row.

They're all quite enjoyable and informative. I liked the background you gave on Booster and Vixen, as well as you clearly stating the reasoning as to why the events in Time Warped don't nessasarily contradict BB:Rebirth. And as for your comment about Phil's Old Staric sounding too much like his Steel, the real pity is that they didn't have the budget to get Micheal Dorn back in for The Return.

I do look forward to listening to the JLU season 4 commentaries when you get around to them, especially The Cat and the Canary, and Double Date.

Ciao,

PD

20. Kit-Kat

Kit-Kat Member

I really love your commentaries. They're very cool and informative. I'd love to hear a Batman Beyond commentary. (Although I guess Epilogue counts.)Still, Out of the Past would be awesome. :anime: