1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "DC Animation Commentaries" Thread

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Trevor Balena, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Livy1213

Livy1213 Riding in a '67 Chevy Impala

That's what I was thinking, that or Holiday Knights.

2. Trevor Balena

Trevor Balena Active Member

"I kinda liked it when he made the poopy noises."

Comfort And Joy is now available. I can't fool you guys, you're too schrewd. ;)

Happy Holidays!

3. Trevor Balena

I've also updated dccommentaries.com with some of my written material, namely the JL/JLU Musical Theme Guide and my essay on JLU Batman.

Happy Holidays (again)!

4. Trevor Balena

"It's not a race!"

Kid Stuff is up. Don't make Baby Etrigan spit up fire on you!

5. Palin Dromos

Palin Dromos The Abyss Stares Back

Hey Trevor Balena

These commentaries are a wonderful distraction and it's definetly cool to watch these eps and hear someone else's opinions.

I enjoyed your analysis of GL in Kid's Stuff. I hadn't consciously pulled together those various character strands from Legends, Comfort and Joy, and here.

Also your background info on Hawk & Dove in their episode was really informative, it also gave me an excuse to watch the ep again, I had forgotten how good WW looked in that ep.

One request/suggestion...
    This is a tiny thing that makes me hesitant to listen to too many more of your commentaries. I'm one of the unfortunate few who missed all the original CN airings of JLU and have been waiting patiently for the DVD releases. Anyway, I've been very dilligent at avoiding spoilers for the last 13 eps. (I had to more or less abandon Toonzone prior to JLU Season 1 coming to DVD).
    A simple request, could you maybe add an astrisk or note to any of your future commentaries that may reference the events of Season 5. You've been very good at prefacing any potential spoilers so far by saying something along the lines of "and this of course comes back in Season 5 when..." (at this point I cover my ears and wait till I think you've moved on). Don't by any means alter your comments, their your comments, and it's my misfortune to have missed the eps on cable, but a little astrisk by the link could just note to spoiler-hating fans like myself that we should set that specific commentary aside until March 21. (I guess I could just wait 2 months, but there's no harm in asking).

Keep up the great work.
    Palin Dromos

6. Trevor Balena

Thanks for the feedback, Palin Dromos!

Regarding your request, I'm afraid marking my past commentaries in the way you suggest would require me to go back and listen to all of them again. I don't keep my notes after I record a commentary, and even if I did, stuff occurs to me spontaneously as I watch the episode that I don't end up writing down. And I haven't listened to them enough to be able to recall off the top of my head which seasons I refer to in a given commentary.

What I can do, however, is this: every time I do a new commentary from now until March 21, I can add a warning to the post I make in this thread announcing the availability of the commentary if Season 5 gets mentioned. That will allow you to enjoy the new ones, and then when you get the new DVDs you can go back and listen to the others.

Fair?

And again, thanks for listening!

7. Palin Dromos

Palin Dromos The Abyss Stares Back

Thanks Trevor
    That's all I wanted.

Yeah there was no way I wanted you to re-record or even worry about it while recording future commentaries, just a little note after the fact is perfect.

Big thanx

Palin Dromos

8. Trevor Balena

"New girl. Silver bracelets. Kinda stuck up."

This Little Piggy is now available. Don't make B'wana Beast sic an ostrich-hippo on you.

Season 5 Spoiler Warning: Incredibly minor spoiler from "Dead Reckoning" concerning whether a certain villain ever got a return appearance.

9. oldmanwinters

oldmanwinters Ninja Turtle in a Strange Land

Nice job again, excellent articulation and vocal resonance in your commentary. It looks like you're almost half-way to a complete season 1 set on JLU. I appreciate the character background information, it's a different take in contrast to the running-commentary/production-background approach employed in the official creator commentaries.

#89 oldmanwinters, Jan 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2008
  10. Trevor Balena

"Should've quit while you were ahead."

The Return is now available. If you don't listen to it, then Red Tornado will have died for nothing.

Season 5 Spoiler Warning: Discussion eventually makes its way to Luthor's character arc over the course of the series, and I briefly discuss his final appearance in Season 5.

11. shining knight

I like these and I can't wait till you get to the seven soldiers episode (though that may be a while away yet)

12. Trevor Balena

Probably have a bit of a wait ahead of you on that one, yeah. But don't forget that Shining Knight and Vigilante had their first big roles in "Task Force X", so I'll be talking about them there to some degree.

Thanks for listening!

13. bat313

bat313 Active Member

Trevor,

I listened to the two commentaries for Epilogue last night and all i can say is amamzing job man! I didn't realize how many hidden meanings were going on in that episode until i listened to you. And i don't know how you were able to talk for the entire episode without messing up or running out of things to say but great job! I can't wait to listen to the rest. And thanks for sharing these. I was upset when i found out that Epilogue wasn't going to have a commentary done by the Producers and then when i found out you had done two yourself i couldn't wait to listen to them! So thanks man!

Bat313

14. Trevor Balena

No, thank you! "Epilogue" is such a brilliant piece of work, if I can get people to look at the episode in different ways or show them things they might have missed, then I've done what I set out to do.

The fact that the creative team didn't do an official commentary for "Epilogue" saddened me, too, and that's when I decided to do a special two-part project, to try to preserve and impart as much information as I could. So much thought clearly went into the episode, I couldn't just let it sit there, y'know? I had to do my part to show people why it's so great.

Digression ahead...

I'm not so arrogant as to assume that my work will ever be viewed as any kind of official companion to the episodes, but the fact remains that thousands of people have listened to my stuff. That means that for a lot of people, my commentaries are the closest thing there will ever be to an official record of these shows. This probably sounds weird, but as a result I kinda feel a responsibility to do as good a job as possible, and make these commentaries as comprehensive as I can.

These shows deserve it.

Thanks for listening!

15. Trevor Balena

"I've got nothin'."

The Greatest Story Never Told is now available. Listen to it, or the Composite Superman will confuse your sense of gender identity!

Season 5 Spoiler Warning: Nada.

16. Trevor Balena

"Do they look like fish to you?!"

Ultimatum is now available. Listen to it, or I'll bring in the Squad to shut you down.

Season 5 Spoiler Warning: Minor mention of Bizarro's team affiliation in Season 5.

17. Crow

Crow Active Member

I listened to the JLU commentaries in a marathon from Initiation through to The Return, you've outdone yourself here Trevor and here's to you keeping on as far as you can. The surprise commentaries for BTAS and STAS so far have been cool as well, choosing In Brightest Day was a good idea as it adds weight to when you speak about Green Lantern and the character's universe in JLU.

The dry wit you put into these like the official ones often do is nice too.

Which episode(s) did you have the most fun researching, either during or after, when you found out something you really liked.

18. Trevor Balena

Holy crap, that's like three and a half hours straight! I can't even listen to myself talk for that long at once, let alone someone else! ;)
    That worked out well, then. I'd like to say that was my master plan, but honestly I just felt like doing a Superman episode.
    Thanks, although I find the official commentaries to be quite funny, myself. "Is that burnt chicken I smell?" indeed.
    Hmm, that's a tough one. Most of the information I know already, and the "research" is just me confirming dates and obscure facts. For instance, I knew the Question's history, but I wouldn't have been able to quote the month and year of his first appearance off the top of my head.

"This Little Piggy" was fun, since I did some reading on Greek myths and The Odyssey so I could talk about Circe. It was fun reading up on Waller's backstory for "Ultimatum", as well.

But by and large, I would have to say "Epilogue" was the most rewarding. It was challenging -- but fun -- to compile the mountain of quotes, analysis, and trivia that was out there, and try to present it in a structured, logical fashion. I think it came out quite nicely.

Thanks for listening!

19. Clark

Clark Member

Listened to your commentary on Ultimatum yesterday. I was particulary joyed to hear that you are a fan of The West Wing as well! Kudos! I also found your analysis on the themes of the story quite intuitive. (Although I got the impression that it was Longshadow who had something for Wonder Woman, not the other way around. Then again, I haven't seen this ep for a while...)

All in all, another great commentary. Look forward to the rest of the series!

PS: Another connection between JLU and West Wing - CCH Pounder also had a guest role on The West Wing as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Debbie O'Leary in episode 1.15 "Celestial Navigation".

20. Trevor Balena

"Getting sweaty in here!"

Dark Heart is now available. Listen to it, or else your atoms will be used as raw material for self-replicating nanomachines. Okay, I'm reaching on this one.

Season 5 Spoiler Warning: A couple of comments on Gen. Eiling's eventual role.