1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "DC Animation Commentaries" Thread

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Trevor Balena, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Aldrius

Aldrius Arrogant Instigator

You missed one of York's roles, he also voiced Montague Kane in Zatanna. ;P

Great commentaries, though! I really enjoyed them! There were a few things I didn't notice that I found really interesting. (The tea set in particular) Even if I disagree with a point or two.

2. Trevor Balena

Trevor Balena Active Member

Yeah, I probably forgot that because I never really liked that episode too much.

By all means, tell me what they were if you're so inclined. It's not like this thread has been big with the discussion so far.

Thanks for listening!

3. bat313

bat313 Active Member

I've been meaning to start listening to these as soon as i can. The Holiday season is a busy one (as you all know) but as soon as i get some free time and JLU season 1 for xmas, i'm gonna start watching stuff with these comentaries since i hear such good things about them.

4. Aldrius

Aldrius Arrogant Instigator

Nothing extreme. Hehe. It's actually something I disagree with specifically in the episode. I don't think it's in Andrea's character to flat-out say 'Batman wouldn't take a life. So we shouldn't either.' I actually think it was more that she couldn't do to someone else, what was done to her. =x

Silly, I know.

Do you take commentary requests, by the way? :D

5. Livy1213

Livy1213 Riding in a '67 Chevy Impala

Wow. These commentaries are wonderful. They're both fun and informative. You really know your stuff. I love that not only do you mention behind the senes stuff but you also through in your take on anylizing the plot and characters. It really gives the show more depth then I was expecting.

Everything you said about Epilogue I absolutly agree with and the part about Amanda Waller only learning half her lesson in Divided We Fall was a very interesting character analysis reminding me why Waller is my favorite League villian.

I can't wait for other JLU commenteries to come out I'd really love to hear the Cadmus arc episodes.

6. Trevor Balena

Glad to hear it! Be sure to let me know your thoughts, once you've had a chance to listen to them.

That's a really good take on it, too. The reason I settled on the whole "she finally learned Batman's lesson" thing is because whatever she said (too bad we couldn't hear it) convinced Waller of the error of her ways, and made her think to herself "if I'm to honour all he stood for, neither could I [resort to murder]". If all Andy had said was "Sorry, can't do it, long story", wouldn't Waller have just found another assassin? I think Andrea came to a very important realization, and passed it along to Waller. But it's not like our views are mutually exclusive; her realizing she couldn't do to Terry what was done to her may have let to the broader realization I was talking about.

I pretty much do whatever episode I feel like doing, though I'm trying to work my way through JLU Season One in chronological order at the moment. However, I have been known to take requests; I did "Maid of Honor" largely because DisneyBoy asked for it.

Thanks! That's very nice of you to say. I try to dole out both facts and my own observations; if I concentrated solely on the former, it would probably be too dry and clinical, and if I only focused on the latter, I think the result would lack substance. Good to know that I seem to be striking a pleasant balance.

I can't take all the credit for that. Some of the more insightful stuff in the "Epilogue" commentaries was originally put forward by Alex Weitzman and Maxie Zeus, but their analysis was just so spot on that after reading it, I couldn't not touch on some of their most interesting observations.

"Fearful Symmetry" is coming next week; it's already in the can. If you're referring to the four-parter, though, you'll probably have to wait until I get through the rest of the Season One box set. Hopefully it won't take me too long.

Guys, let me just say how much feedback like this just makes my day! Thanks so much for listening, and for letting me know what you think.

7. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

I listen to these a lot on my iPod as I'm drifting off to sleep...(yeah, I know I'm supposed to be watching the episode at the same time). I liked all the background stuff on Hawk and Dove...since I'm not the least bit familiar with a good 2/3 of the JLU characters, all of that really makes me appreciate the episodes more.

Great job! Keep it up!

8. Trevor Balena

"Please! I go through everyone's trash."

Fearful Symmetry's up. Listen to it, or you'll make Jeffrey Combs cry.

9. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

I've wanted to do one of these ever since I heard the fan commentaries on the recent DVD release of "Transfomers: The Movie".

Haha, y'all beat me too it.

10. Trevor Balena

"Meanwhile, I'm drawing soap."

Switching it up a bit this week, In Brightest Day is now available.

11. Livy1213

Cool. For a minute there I thought you did "In Darkest Night" and was dissapointed since I don't really like that episode much but "In Brightest Day" was good. The whole Green Lantern in Superman/Justice League thing did confuse the heck out of me when JL started.

And about your theory on when VAs coming back, didn't Sinestro's VA come back in Justice League after only one episode?

You are right though that if anyone makes a guy called Sinestro a GL then they get what ever comes to them. Kind of like in Cowboy Bebop, if you're going to be best friends with a guy named Vicious then you just didn't get the signs.

12. Trevor Balena

Yeah, the exception with the rule seems to be villains. Clock King, Sinestro, Volcana, Toyman -- they each only had one or two appearances, and yet their VAs returned for JLU.

On the other hand, Aquaman, Flash, Kyle, Orion, Dr. Fate, heck, even Superman (although he obviously had more than one episode)... well, not so much.

Yeah, it's like, which Korugaran should we choose? Justicus, Braveothar, Goodpureinor, or... Sinestro. Hmm...

13. Livy1213

But Big Barda and Warhawk both came back after one time character voicing.

14. Trevor Balena

Well, no rule is perfect... ;)

15. Clark

Clark Member

Hi there! I love your idea of doing commentaries for DCAU episodes and I listen to them often. They're great! I actually thought of doing the same thing a while back, but unfortunately, I don't have the equipment to do so.

I listen to the commentaries of the episodes that I have already watched, so I haven't listened to the commentaries for Hawk and Dove and In Brightest Day yet becasue I haven't seen them yet.

I'm really hangin' out for This Little Piggy though...

16. Trevor Balena

Thanks! And it really doesn't take a lot to be able to do it the way I do; all I had to do was buy a twenty dollar headset. After that, assuming you have a computer and some of the DVDs, you'd be all set. You should give it a try!

Why that episode in particular (if you don't mind my asking)? Episodes that already have official commentaries are trickier, because there's less behind-the-scenes info for me to relate, as I don't want to repeat what the creative team has already said...

At any rate, I'll get to it soon enough.

17. Clark

Clark Member

Oh, simply because I love it so much! I like any episode with the Bat in it, but this one just sings to me (pun intended!) I like to hear what other people thought about certain episodes. This one in particular.

Speaking of which, what episode do you plan on doing next?

18. Trevor Balena

Actually, I just recorded one that will be up over the weekend or on Monday. And let's just say, the timing will be appropriate...

19. johnnybvo

johnnybvo Member

These are <bloo>AWESOME!</bloo>

20. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

Comfort and Joy?