The Official "DC Animation Commentaries" Thread

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Trevor Balena, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr New Member

Joy!
    I'm going to listen to it right now.

2. Trevor Balena

Trevor Balena Active Member

By all means, tell me what you thought! In retrospect, it's not my strongest commentary -- I'd have to give that nod to "Wild Cards" -- but I still like to get feedback on these things.

In other news, my copy of JLU: Season 1 is winging its way to me as we speak; I should have it tomorrow. Expect the "Initiation" commentary later this week.

3. Mr. Maverick

Mr. Maverick Member

Wonderful commentary work, but....how'd you manage a deal like that? From where I read, it doesn't become available till next tuesday. :confused:

4. Trevor Balena

I know an online store here in Canada that ships DVDs as soon as they get them in stock, street date be damned. I don't really like to spread the name around, since I'm always afraid that the word will reach someone who would be in a position to get the store in trouble... and I'll stop getting early DVDs!

5. Mr. Maverick

Mr. Maverick Member

Nice. I don't blame you...if I found a deal like that, I doubt I'd spread it around too much either. ;)

6. Jiggle-Bot

Jiggle-Bot Member

Great commentaries so far! Keep up the good work! Good voice too

7. Trevor Balena

Initiation is up. Word.

8. Trevor Balena

For The Man Who Has Everything is up. I realized too late that I confused Shirley Walker and Lolita Ritmanis. Oops.

9. JEWCY

JEWCY Member

Wow! I really enjoyed your commentary for Initiation! Good info on George Eads (it would of been cool if you would of stated as to why he quit and Chris Cox took his role), the boot scene with B.C., Lex Lang, Jason Sie (i think that is his name) and just some great stuff that i really enjoyed.

I will be listening to the FTMWHE one, and hopefully you will get all the commentaries done (take your time by all means!) because it was really enjoyeable to hear a different p.o.v.

p.s. you have one of those cool deep, monotone voices like Clancy Brown and Carl Lumbly

10. Trevor Balena

Thanks! As far as I know, Eads just didn't feel like coming in to voice Captain Atom if he wasn't going to be a featured character; I'll probably mention it when I get to "The Greatest Story Never Told".

The JLU commentaries are harder -- there's more ground to cover -- but in a way that makes them less stressful, because I'm rarely at a loss for things to talk about. It requires more planning, but the actual recording tends to go smoother.

Just a quick update on where things stand: I've completed one half of a special commentary project I've been working on... I hope to record the other half this week, and upload the finished project by the weekend, work-related responsibilities permitting. Head on over to dccommentaries.com for a hint as to what it is...

11. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Enjoyed listening to the Maid of Honor commentary yesterday. Again...nice voice and great info...didn't know CN cut a scene. Too bad I wasn't watching the episode as you were going, so I'm not sure which scene it was. Bats freeing Diana from the prison, prior to their wink?

12. Trevor Balena

Nope, every time CN cut a scene out of the widescreen airing it was the very first scene of Part Two. For instance, in "Only A Dream", the sequence where Flash is watching a cartoony version of himself battle Grundy is seriously truncated. And in the case of "Maid of Honor", the scene where Batman finds Wonder Woman in the shack she fell into at the end of Part One, revives her, and tells her about the wedding, is missing.

13. Trevor Balena

As promised, I have a special commentary project now available for you guys to download: a two-part commentary on "Epilogue". Given the episode's importance, and the sheer density of information and trivia packed into it, I knew I'd never be able to cover everything I wanted to in one pass. And given that we didn't get an official commentary, I wanted to preserve and present as much behind-the-scenes information as possible. This was my solution. And wouldn't ya know, I still ran out of time!

So here's the format. The first commentary ("Not Remotely What I Meant") covers the creators' intentions with the episode, and discusses most of the symbolism and depth. The second ("Did You See That?") is more like my typical commentary, where I give my own opinions, talk about what the fans thought about the episode, and call attention to all of the fanboy trivia stuff.

I think this is some of the best stuff I've done so far, so I'd love to hear what you guys think!

P.S. Special thanks, as always, to Karkull and his Watchtower site for compiling all of the creators' quotes and comments. Also, thanks to Maxie Zeus and Alex Weitzman for their incredibly insightful reviews of this episode; I tried to touch on some of your main points, but I couldn't hope to match your eloquence on the subject.

14. Joker1238

Joker1238 Active Member

Do the laughing Fish, which is base on 3 comics.

The Laughing Fish, the Sign of the Joker, and the Shark bit is taking from Joker's 5 way reveage.

15. JEWCY

JEWCY Member

T

what do you have planned for the future (not rushing you to do anything, just seeing what possibly could be on deck for commentaries)

p.s. looking forward to the commentary

16. Trevor Balena

Well, despite the fact that I jumped ahead for "Epilogue", I'm still planning on going through every JLU episode, so I suppose next up would be "Hawk and Dove". That is, unless I get the urge to go back and do an old Batman or Superman episode.

17. J-Ranger

J-Ranger John Stewart

I just had the pleasure of listening to your commentaries today for the first time. I have to say, good job man, you did some excellent work. Each commentary was filled with a lot of info, almost to the point where I was like "Does he work for the show or something? Or is he just making it up even though it makes so much sense." Some of the info was unknown to myself which was pretty good since it was very informative. I listened to "Initiation", and both commentaries for "Epilogue". I look forward to listening to your other commentaries when they come in, good job.

18. Trevor Balena

Thanks!
    Heh. Happy to say I haven't had to make anything up... yet. ;) I remember a particularly terrifying stretch of silence during "Hereafter" where I couldn't think of anything to say, and was tempted just to throw something ridiculous out there to break the silence...

"Bruce Timm doesn't want you to know that he's made of marshmallows!" Anything!

Thanks again. I'm happy people seem to be enjoying the "Epilogue" commentaries in particular, since those were a bit of an experiment for me. Oddly enough, according to the stats I get provided with, the first "Epilogue" commentary ("Intent") has been downloaded three or four times as much as the second... weird. Information overload, perhaps?

19. Trevor Balena

Hawk And Dove is up. And there was much rejoicing.

Or, y'know, none. Either way.

20. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Love that you recorded something for Hawk and Dove. Along with The Balance, it's one of those strange Wonder Woman episodes that had all the right ingredients, but the wrong execution.

#60 DisneyBoy, Dec 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2006