1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official "DC Animation Commentaries" Thread

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Trevor Balena, Aug 31, 2006.

1. maxnugget

maxnugget Avenger of evil and ignorance

Might be fun to do a faux-official commentary...pretend you were part of the creative team and discuss all sorts of "behind the scenes" tidbits about the episode that never actually happened. Then let the hilarity ensue...

BRUCE TIMM: "So, true story, we wanted to mess with the fans' expectations a bit, they're always complaining about us lazily re-using that ROTJ explosion, so, in this next scene coming up, if you watch very carefully, we thought we'd "rib" the fans, we actually had D.R. Movie -- who, by the way, they do simply PHENOMENAL work -- we gave them a copy of ROTJ, and had them make a new explosion animation that looks JUST like the ROTJ explosion animation. If you freeze-frame and look very closely I think there's some very, very subtle differences, but it's darn near identical, that's how good D.R. Movie is..."

JAMES TUCKER: "Wow I didn't even notice, that's amazing. It's literally impossible to tell the difference...It's D.R. Movie doing TMS!"

BRUCE TIMM: "Yep, just kinda blends right in there..."

JAMES TUCKER: "Gotta ring that bell."

DAN RIBA: "That's...that's...the most elaborate waste of animation budget ever conceived..."

BRUCE TIMM: "Yep. WILD isn't it? I had a lil' private chuckle scanning through the talkbacks and reading the many complaints about us yet again re-using the ROTJ explosion. Little do they know...hehe"

JAMES TUCKER: "Wait, how do you know the D.R. Movie people didn't just send you back the same tape of the TMS animation you gave them?"

BRUCE TIMM: "Ohhh...."

BRUCE TIMM: "...well they definitely billed us for it."

#21 maxnugget, Sep 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2006
  2. Crow

Crow Active Member

I'm going to listen to all these over the weekend, great job on them fellas.

Something that might make this stale real quick but still might be a cool idea is to do multiple commentaries focusing on different technical bits of the show. Those who want to can talk about the animation the most out of the other bits; or the musical scores; or the writing, Kevin Conroy - for example look at the X2 or Lord of the Rings DVDs to see what I'm talking about.

Can't wait to listen to these!

3. A.J

A.J Active Member

Good job guys! Keep it up!!!

Id love to make one of those commentaries but my english isnt good at all these days. Writing is just OK but trust me, you dont wanna hear me speak :D

...believe it or not new JLU episodes were practice for me when I watched them...:sweat:

4. Trevor Balena

Trevor Balena Active Member

FYI, the links in my initial post might not work for a few days, as I'm in the process of transferring over to a new account with an official domain name. In the meantime, you should be able to paste the links into your address bar and they'll still work... you just can't click 'em.

5. Trevor Balena

Okay, dccommentaries.com is up and running! The links in my initial post have all been updated. And, with any luck, you should be able to find the commentaries as a podcast on the iTunes Music Store within the next few days!

Also coming in the next few days: Maid of Honor, Part II!

6. Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr New Member

Hi there - new member here. I registered just to respond to this thread.

I think fan commentaries are a great idea especially for shows such as this where there is such a wealth of material and a rich continuity.
    I think WB really screwed fans by not putting commentaries on every episode and some of the ones we did get were fairly pointless with Timm and the gang just pointing out how great there work is.

Anyway I'll get to the point - any chance of any Batman commentaries?

These are so far the only sets I own so I can't listen to the JL commentaries with the episodes (although I have listened and they sound great!).

7. Trevor Balena

Hey, whattaya know, I'm making a difference! Kick up your feet and stay a while.

Definately. As I'm doing with JL, I'll probably hit my favourite episodes first... so I'd expect "Over The Edge", "Mad Love", "Demon's Quest" and others before too long. I'm planning on sticking with JL and JLU at least for the next few weeks, but I'll probably do a Batman episode to mix things up fairly soon.

Buy 'em! ;) And thanks!

New stuff:

- the dccommentaries.com feed is now available on the iTunes Music Store! Check out the website (or the first post of this thread) for the link.

- the commentary for Maid Of Honor, Part II is now available! And yes, before anyone listens to it and snickers too much, I realized when I got halfway into the sentence that I knew absolutely nothing about Audrey Hepburn.

8. Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr New Member

LOL. I will do as soon as I can get the money together. It's hard to feed a DVD addiction as well as pay Uni tuition fees and rent. I'm trying to get the sets in order so it'll be Superman: Volume 1 next.

9. Garada

Garada Mechanical Monster

Oh, what... you're gonna put up a commentary for 'Hereafter Part 1' and not tell anyone? ;)

Keep up the great work on these, I want more!

10. Trevor Balena

Hey, I've been busy! :)

The "Hereafter" commentary was the first time I truly ran out of things to say... it happens a few minutes from the end, when the League is fighting Lobo on the Watchtower, and then the bad guys in Metropolis. Not much to say about those fights, really...

Still, I think there's some good stuff in there. Thanks for listening!

11. Redemption

Redemption No one is beneath redemption..

You made a mistake. You had said that the chain of events was that Deadshot had killed Batman and then they recruited Aquaman. One problem. If that were the case, then wouldn't it say that Batman was dead when Superman inspects the whereabouts the Leaguers in the future? It's understandable that nobody else would be mentioned as dead by Vandal Savage because theres nobody to update the computers.

12. Trevor Balena

You make a fair point, but taking what you say into account the episode contradicts itself, since it's obvious that Batman would've died if Superman hadn't deflected Deadshot's missle. Time travel stories always have screwy stuff like that, and if I didn't make more mistakes than the writers, then I'm happy. ;)

13. Redemption

Redemption No one is beneath redemption..

You made one other mistake. Beginning. You said Part 2 instead of Part 1.

14. Comic Book Boy

Comic Book Boy hero of Toonzone!

I think it is wrong for people to do commentaries on stuff they had ABSOLUTELY no part in. It sounds from the Grey Ghost commentary, the guy is just re-verberating things Timm said. Talking about stuff he really doesn't know about.

Just wrong.

Leave it to the pros.

15. Garada

Garada Mechanical Monster

Whatever, dude. If you don't think a fan has anything to add to an episode, then don't download the mp3 and listen to it.

Did you have to pay for the extra commentary track? The one that gave you a reason to re-watch an episode you've probably watched numerous times before, thus adding to the value of the DVD you bought? Oh, you didn't?

Why are you complaining? Timm and Co only do 2-3 commentaries per ~26 episodes, so a few extra ones, especially FREE ONES are much appreciated by me. Re-iterating a few pieces of info is inevitable, but at least these fans are giving new insight and points of view to old episodes.

If you think it's stupid, just don't listen!

16. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

So, um, what's your opinion of DVD commentaries by film historians or critics, like Roger Ebert and Rudy Behlmer on Casablanca? For that matter, what's your opinion of film classes in which the professor shows a film in class and comments on it as it plays? And what's your opinion on books and articles that analyze and discuss films by filmmakers who have long since died?

Peter Bogdanovitch, Donald Spoto, Thomas Leitch, Andrew Sarris, David Thomson, and Lesley Brill (to name only a half-dozen) have written and commented brilliantly on the work of Alfred Hitchcock, all while having "ABSOLUTELY no part" in his stuff. Was it wrong of them to do this?

If you say that all of these are wrong, then I'll give you points for consistency, though I'll subtract many more points on other grounds ...

17. Alex Weitzman

Alex Weitzman Got Opinions?

Nice to know I'm such a moral failure.

18. Trevor Balena

Justice League: Wild Cards, Part II is up. Didn't think I'd have as much to say about this one, but I found myself struggling to fit everything in!

Don't know what'll be next... I considered doing a Batman or Superman episode instead this time, until I realized that most of my favourites already have commentaries, which makes my job considerably harder. My current plan -- insane though it may be -- is to go through every single JLU episode once the new box set comes out. I may take a break to do other things, such as a Batman Beyond episode or two, but I intend to do every JLU episode in order. Say what you will about the series, but it's jam-packed with characters, injokes, and continuity...

19. Joe Kerr

Joe Kerr New Member

Oooh, please do.

IMO, there's a lot of classic episodes that don't have commentaries. In fact many of the 2-parters only have commentary on the first parts so it might be an idea to tackle some of these.

Or Beware the Creeper might be a fun one to do. I always wondered why they never did a commentary for that one but did for Critters.

I take it that you plan to eventually cover every single episode of the DCAU so why not do some of your least favourite episodes of B:TAS? This'll get them out of the way early and also could prove to be quite interesting.

Either way, you know, some Batman commentaries would be much appreciated (since they're currently the only sets I own).

#39 Joe Kerr, Oct 1, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2006
  20. Trevor Balena

Commentery on my absolute favourite Batman episode, Over The Edge, is now available.

Next up, in all likelihood... Justice League Unlimited: Initiation!