1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Bird Boy, Apr 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to the The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 2, where you can talk about all of DC's upcoming DTVs! With a host of DC DTVs on the way, stayed tuned for trailers, interviews, images, reviews, and so much more!

For the latest news, check out the newest posts in this thread!

Current DTVs Announced:
    -Superman/Doomsday
    -Justice League: The New Frontier
    -Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
    -Wonder Woman
    -Batman Begins/The Dark Knight Anime

Archived Threads:
    -The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 1

Post Your Thoughts!

2. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Note: Discussion continued from The Official DC Animated DTV News & Speculation Thread, Part 1.

Is having the "S" logo on Superman's cape really that big of a deal and enough to make people mad just because it's absent? To me it'd be like Batman having the Bat logo on his cape. It's already on his chest, and adding it to the cape just seems... stupid.

3. Tempest

Tempest Member

Right, at that point you might as well keep it in FULL continuity with the rest of the DCAU if everything else basically reeks of it visually and in direction.

No what the gold/yellow shield S does is it makes his cape more iconic and original. I think it's important to stick to the yellow because its part of Superman's origin and mythology. He was found by the Kents wrapped in the blanket that would become his cape. It's ALSO a HUUUGE part of the Doomsday comic as it's ripped in the middle of the yellow shield.

To me the cape has a certain special, individuality for just Superman. It's been in so many classic shots like adorned over the coffin in "Death of Superman" or over Teri Hatcher in that Lois and Clark show promo and I always aesthetically loved the look of the cape. The gold/yellow S separates it and him from Thor, Dr. Strange, Black Marvel, Powergirl, Steel etc generic red capes of comic repetition.

4. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

They've long since stated that properly animating a graphic on a cape frequently is a difficult and arduous process.

5. asphaltviking64

asphaltviking64 High Inquisitor of soup

Supes, not even your mullet can save you now.

6. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

The reason why the s on the cape was mentionned was because it was an iconic part of his Death in the comics. Heck, it was the cover of the issue. When they showed that scene in the trailer, I didn't even realize what it was they were aiming for. Without the S, all I saw were some characters starting at some red fabric.

Another point is that while it may have been harder to tell the kind of story they wanted to tell here with the DCAU players, it also would have required less by means of establishing relationships. When Lois slaps DCAU Luthor across the face at Superman's funeral, it's a powerful moment because that interpretation of Lois has been around with Superman for years. It means something.

Here, we'll be meeting and grieving for a Superman within a twenty minute span. It's kind of why the idea of Doomsday and Superman on the big screen never really flew in the years after the death of the film franchise. How to introduce a new actor as Superman and get us to buy into that before killing him and bringing him back, all in the same movie?

When I saw the trailer another thought crossed my mind with that scene of Lois and Clark kissing. Maybe this film is supposed to be more in line with the film franchise? Maybe Singer knows he isn't using Doomsday, and so WB/DC gave Timm the go-ahead to use him here and loosely time the two continuities together? Cause that Lois wrapped in red looks like she's standing at the fortress, just as Kidder did in Superman II...

7. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Ooooo September. I can't wait! This looks freak'n awesome.

8. SaBaWoJuLe

SaBaWoJuLe Active Member

The "S" on the cape: it doesn't matter to me if they use it or not. Because lets face it, when you think of a red cape thats comic book related or not, whats the first thought that comes to mind: Superman.

9. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Is it just me or does anyone else actually see a little bit of Tim Daly there? Mostly around the eyes and nose. It likely wasn't intentional, and maybe I'm just crazy, but I can actually really see it.

10. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My thoughts exactly, not only is it really hard to animated that S on the cape, but IMO, the Yellow S on the cape is boring, lame, unnecessary, and worst of all an eyesore. Im glad that thing is hard to animate, that way it never had to appear in a cartoon. Besides most people dont even know that there's an S on the cape. I hope someday it gets phased out of the comics as well.

11. awh1978

awh1978 Member

I'd say this project is looking quite good if the major nitpick is whether or not Superman's cape gets a yellow S. It's like arguing whether or not Batman should wear blue or black, or if they made a mistake by darkening the Superman Returns costume. I suppose that folks will always find at least one thing to complain about. Next time they do an animated trailer they should make sure that they never show the back of Superman's cape.

12. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

Here's a stupid question:

Is this video supposed to have sound? Because it doesn't.

13. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, there is sound. I was able to hear it just fine.

14. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

although the character continuity will be all its own, the designs remain distinctly BT

refresh my memory: WHV has announced this title, New Frontier, & Teen Titans: The Judas Contract. Was there a 4th untitled feature or just the three for now?

15. Tempest

Tempest Member

I read a Comic Con interview with Bruce Timm where he definitely mentioned movies featuring Aquaman, Wonder Woman and something else.....it would make sense that the other one would be something involving the Green Lantern Corps but I'm not exactly sure. Maybe Flash???

16. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

The animation looks very good! I'm surprised that it really looks like just a slightly tweaked S:TAS episode.

I'll buy this, but I'm really looking forward to The New Fronteir....

17. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

Didn't realize there was a RealPlayer version. Yeah, it's the Media Player one that's missing sound.

So is this going to be one of those DTVs that make it to Toonami days before being released on video? :3

18. thehuntress_525

I just seen this at Supermanhomepage.com and it looks good. I didn't get to see or hear enough of Lois to get a good feel for her, but it does feel like the new and improved Justice League. There's nothing wrong with that because JL/JLU was great! I like to see what sort of interpretation this took with the storyline because you can't possibly fit all DoS and Superman: Doomsday into one movie. It's a hybrid I guess...still looking forward to seeing this and I hope they really do show "Superman in love". I've been waiting to see that in cartoon since STAS, so bring it on!!!

19. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

How new can you make an adaptation of the same character though? BTAS/TNBA was the first animated serious adaption of Batman, so of course The Batman, as another serious take, was going to be similar.

Of course an animated Superman movie outside of DCAU continuity, by the same teams involved in past DC animation, is going to look similar. Unless you want a whole new team on it and then we just get into a case of complaining that they hired new people to do the stuff when Timm and whoever were just fine.

It's a no-win situation. There's a certain level of give and take these things can have before we're just bickering over things that could just as easily be something much, much worse.

As for the S on the cape, Superman Returns didn't have it either. It's not a big deal to me, I honestly forgot it was ever there. It may be iconic, but it seems redundant to have the logo on both sides of the body.

-BB

20. ichormosquito

ichormosquito Member

To the folks whining about the cape: even with a DTV budget, the only feasible way to have plastered on the symbol would have been to render the cape in CGI, presenting a whole slew of problems.

Apart from color issues and some pretty ugly lense flare, the actual animation looks great. I just hope the script stands up.

#20 ichormosquito, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.