1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The official "Avatar the last airbender" speculation thread.

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by I.R Joey, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

re: Zuko's bending ability relative to Azula or Ozai.

Since this is pure speculation, I don't think this needs to be in spoiler tags. I just put Zach Tyler Eisen's comments in spoiler tags because it might maybe sorta kinda be considered a spoiler.

I think the big thing about Zuko's bending ability was that his emotional state before "Day of Black Sun" was throwing him off. We saw that explicitly in the episode "Bitter Work" when he just can't get the hang of lightning. He's loaded with frustration and anger, but since the start of the show, it's been clear that he aims that frustration and anger at himself. It's that misdirected frustration and anger that prevented him from doing the technique properly. Of course, the fact that he couldn't do it only made him more frustrated and angry, pushing him into a spiral that continued to drag him down.

He doesn't have that anchor on him now. I think he is prone to extreme emotions by nature, but after DoBS, his anger is now directed properly at the person who actually deserves it: his father, who is as much of a monster as Azula. Being able to redirect Ozai's lightning wasn't a sign that he was learning cross-bending skills, IMO. I think he understood the move conceptually at the time of "Bitter Work," but if he had actually been hit by lightning then, he'd have been fried to a crisp. It wasn't until now that he had the necessary internal mental balance to successfully deflect that lightning attack.

Showing character development through a combat move. This is one of many reasons why I love Avatar.

-- Ed

2. Bakasama

Bakasama Active Member

I think the reason Iroh taught that waterbending based lighting redirect move was because Zuko couldn't do the regular lighting move because of his inner turmoil. Thing was Iroh had to teach Zuko about the other elements. "The Avatar talk speech". While the waterbending lighting move is important. I think the underlying philosophy behind the move maybe far more important to the plot than most people think. I think if one takes that philosophy to it's logical extreme, one might get an idea how the Gaang might defeat the Fire Nation. It helps to remember what King Bumi said, "imagine the possibilities"

3. FriendlyMushroom

FriendlyMushroom Knight of Sidonia

Truth about the emotional state, except that it only applies to lightning, "the cold-blooded fire", not firebending on whole.

4. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

So, is Azula truly loyal to her father? She could have kept the knowledge of the invasion to herself, and took over in the aftermath. However, she shared the knowledge. Also, she could have told Aang where the Fire Lord was, allowing him to be killed so she could take over, though she did exactly what her father wanted and made him miss his opportunity. A lot of people were thinking that Azula would betray her father, but everything so far seems to indicate that she truly is her father’s daughter, and her right-hand woman.

Do you guys still believe Azula will ultimately betray her father?

5. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I think Zuko would have been a better all-around Firebender if he could get his temper under control. As Jeong Jeong said, Firebending is an art that is easy to lose control of -- he even considers it a curse. If lightning bending is the pinnacle of Firebending techniques and it requires a level of mental balance, then it only holds to reason that Firebending itself relies on that kind of balance to some extent.

Expanding on the speculation about who's waiting at the Western Air Temple:

- Zuko and Azula's mother Ursa
    - Uncle Iroh
    - Combustion Man
    - Guru Pathik
    - The White Lotus Society
    - More Airbenders
    - King Bumi
    - Iroh AND the White Lotus Society
    - Jun the bounty hunter
    - URSA and the White Lotus Society -- maybe SHE'S the one who started it. Think about it.
    - Jeong Jeong. And King Bumi.
    - Combustion Man AND Jun the bounty hunter. Holding Guru Pathik hostage.
    - Iroh, Ursa, AND the White Lotus Society. AND the Guru. And Master Piandao, to boot! IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY, I TELL YA!!! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!!
    - WLS, Airbenders, both bounty hunters, Master Piandao, Guru Pathik, and the Pirates from "The Waterbending Scroll"
    - Jimmy Hoffa

(FWIW, the old list of possible allies I came up with, edited to nix the ones who were just captured.)

A long time ago, I speculated that the White Lotus Society might have been started as a response to the Avatar's extended absence -- that they existed in all 4 nations to try and restore the balance to the world, but through quieter means. Maybe the Western Air Temple is their "headquarters."

-- Ed

6. Anthony C.

Anthony C. Member

I have a predicition: We're going to see that Zuko, Aang, Katara love triangle/ confrontation the fans have been clamoring for in the second part of season 3.

7. Bakasama

Bakasama Active Member

Spoken like Zutarian. I think that's missing one detail, Zuko wrote a goodbye letter to Mai before he left, so that's supposed triangle might be just fanon talk.

8. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

guys, before you go on, Zuko dint exactly turn his dads lighting against him, because when he redirected it it still came out as an explosion, meaning Zuko still has some internal issues he has to work out, hes not mentaly balanced yet.

9. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

Some interesting ideas there. But you have to wonder why the resistance would set up a base in the Fire Nation itself rather then somewhere in the Earthkingdom or Water tribes where presumably it's safer. Is it about hiding in plane site? Is the Western Air temple mostly abandoned by the Fire Nation?

The one thing I'm really wondering about is what the fallout to that kiss between Aang and Katara is going to be. Lots of fans have been speculating about the reaction we saw from Katara. Was she really into that kiss? Was she confused? Upset? Suprised? It should be interesting to see where it goes.

10. Bakasama

Bakasama Active Member

It's funny you mention more airbenders. Aaron Ehasz in the all Avatar Nick magazine hinted the there may be more airbenders. However, that could've been a joke. It's hard to tell with these guys.

11. Captain Zechs

Captain Zechs Active Member

Hmmm.

I am pretty sure that Azula will betray the Fire Lord and take the thrown. I can just picture it perfectly in my mind.

I doubt Iroh will be Aang's fire bending teacher, I think it will be Zuko because he is closer to his age, and it would throw the dynamics off to have an adult teacher for Aang.

I wonder how things will go over for Zuko when he arrives at the Western Air Temple.

12. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

Katara will attack him, their will be countless monolouge about how hes changed and whatever, and more Katara attacking him, they will be attacked by someone, Zuko will save them, and Aang will be like, "come on guys, hes cool", remembering how Zuko busted him out of capture once (with the blue spirit mask), hel join, but Katara will treat him like crap for a few episodes. thats what i see hapening.

but what i hope happens, which is unlikely, is that he will dawn his Blue Spirit costume once more and will just apear and help them out of tough jams every time their in trouble, and then reveal himself as Zuko sometime during the last part of the season.

13. ROBOTRON

ROBOTRON 100% Pure Robot!

Yup...that sounds logical to me as well.

I guess I would agree. I remember an episode where Zuko woke up from a dream...he looked in the mirror and saw the avatar's face where his should've been.

Perhaps maybe thats what the dream meant.

14. Juu-kuchi

Juu-kuchi Everypony's Starry-Eyed

If there's going to be anymore Airbenders (which I hope to God there isn't), they're going to have to have a good explanation how they were able to survive.

Any news or production notes about the development and release of the next batch of episodes?

15. Bakasama

Bakasama Active Member

The only official statement I've heard of is that the last four episodes are a four parter. I've heard there there's a summary for Western Air Temple. Some think it's a fake.

16. ifthismeansevos

ifthismeansevos It's been a while.

If Aang is really the last airbender then he's the last avatar as well. That simple. So on we better have airbenders left or at least airbenders grandkids with potential to be trained and eventually train the next avatar.
    The blue spirit theory sounds cool althoug improbable.

17. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

no, what if Aang has kids, and they just happen to inherit his airbending.

18. ManeFested

ManeFested Master Of All 4 Elements

After this last episode "Day of Black Sun", I'm thinking two to four things are going to happen soon.

1. Zuko is going to teach Aang firebending.
    -Of coarse there will probably be a battle before this because of what happened at the end of season 2.
    -Zuko will do some explaining and the Aang will ask for help.

2. Book 4 : Air
    -Since the rest of this season will probably be devoted to Aang learning all firebending (the lightning part too) and setting up a way to get all of the hostages back, I don't expect to see Aang fighting Ozzai (yeah i butchered that).
    -Also, if that teacher is still waiting for Aang at the Air Temple, he will help Aang get his seventh chocra open again.

3. We will meet Zuko's mother
    -I read on another post that she is probably at the Western Air Temple. No she's not there, she'd be dead....
    -We'll find her when we go back to Ba Sing Se

4. King Boomy will return
    -He said in season 2 that when the time is right he will break free. I'm thinking last episode of this season he'll turn up.;)

19. En Sabah Nur

En Sabah Nur Apocalypse, The First One

I agree with 1 and 4. I don't agree with 3 simply because there is no time for that. And I doubt about 2 is because it has been confirmed that this is the last Avatar season. I also doubt that Zuko will teach Aang fire bending, and even if he does, he will not teach him lightning or blue fire, simply because he does now know it to teach it. And this about it, Katara never taught Aang advanced water bending, (blood bending and taking water from trees and air), and Toph never taught Aang metal bending. Therefore, I doubt Aang will learn lightning and blue fire.

20. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

I'm suprised more people aren't speculating on the Katara/Aang kiss. That to me was the most interesting thread left over from the last episode. I want to know exactly what Katara thought about that.