1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The official "Avatar the last airbender" speculation thread.

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by I.R Joey, Nov 20, 2005.

1. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

I was inspired by our friends at the DCAU board to start a thread like this, for what has to be the most plot heavy, continuity driven Nicktoon ever. Here we can discuss theories, speculation, and discuss what hints the show might be dropping.

Some ground rules.

1. No spoilers for any episode that hasn't aired on Nick yet. If plot spoiling information somehow leaks out onto the net, please don't post it here.

2. No links to illegal copies of episodes (which ofcourse is apart of Tonnzone's TOS).

3. Let's try to keep the speculation grounded. Let's not go off into rabid fanfiction territory sorry (Mommo/and Appa shippers).

4.Have fun.

Okay let's go.

#1 I.R Joey, Nov 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2005
  2. CartoonOverlord

CartoonOverlord Head of HATE

I think it would be cool if this whole Fire Nation War was started by this one big villain that wanted control of the Avatar World. It would also would be rather neat if this villain gave the humans of the Avatar World the ability to Element Bend making this villain the master of the 4 elements. Obviously this villain would be ancient so it would probably wouldn't be human. The meteor prophesized by Avatar Roku is actually this villain returning to the Avatar World to reclaim it. But probably the show won't do this but I think it would be an awesome ending plot twist.

3. I.R Joey

Okay here's my piece.

It appears that the waterbending master we met in episode 18 is the same waterbender that appears in the credits (this according to the writers of the show). So it seems that he will be a reocurring charecter. If he does come back is it possible that the writers will have a reunion between him and Katara's grandmother. It could be very dramatic and be the thing that starts him on a path towards changing his mind about women (which has already started apparently).

I have this feeling that the ending of the episode "The Northern Air temple" will play into the season finale. Think about it? The firebenders are heading into a battle with the water tribe in their own element. What better way for Zhao to fight them than to suddenly suprise them with an attack from the sky.

Speaking of Zhao, I have this latent feeling that he's going to try and overthrow the Fire Lord, and take control. This may or may not cause Zuko to join Aang's group as an unlikely ally (this might have been foreshadowed at the end of The Blue Spirit).

Eventually we're going to have to meet Katara and Sokka's father. I really hope that the writers give us a nice flashback episode (in the vein of the episode The Storm) where we learn all about Katara and Sokka's upbringing, and how their mother died.

Anyone else like me with to much time on their hands? Feel free to speculate.

4. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

I concur on the Zuko joining thing. Hopefully after realising his father and he can never be on the same page. I hope his Uncle stays behind in the Fire nation as a spy.

I also hope they get an Earthbender on thier side(in true RPG fashion), Maybe the one they met when they freed those Earth bender prisoners

edit: one more thing: I hope Zuko falls in love with Katara, forming a pseudo love triangle :p

5. I.R Joey

Interesting ideas.

And I agree on the Earthbender joining the team too.I think it would probably be Haru from the episode "Imprisoned".

I also have this feeling that Aang's friend Boomie will be the one to teach him Earthbending.

6. Akelexre

Akelexre No to the Avatar movie.

(Note: my keyboard is acting goofy, so forigive any weird typing f ups.)

Just tossing out random things:

--I also noticed the water master was the wm from the opening. Also, Aang is the wind master from the credits. This means the other 2 will be relevant somehow; probably they'll be the master of their respective element that ends up teaching Aang that element (which means the old general will not be the one to fully instruct Aang in fire).

--I like Zuko's plan of stowing away; it shows a level of deviousness, shadow play and realpolitik I don't expect from him (he seems more a head on "beat the crap outta people" person). This leads to...

--The invasion of the Northern Water Tribe will be pure chaotic insanity. Will General Iroh (that's how you spell Zuko's uncle's name, right?) help lead the armada to victory or will he sabatoge Zhao's efforts to help Zuko and get revenge for attempting to assasinate his nephew? How much of a factor will Zuko be; i.e. he could prove to be a big distraction for Zhao and inadvertantly allow the Avatar a chance to get away, among other things. How well will Water Tribe defenses hold? Will they be unanimous in their desire to protect the Avatar, or will some wish to make an uneasy peace with FN by handing him over?

--Aang seems to be coming along well with his Water training. I'm not sure about *mastering* but I would think he'd have enough time to become a strong fighter with it.

And that just might have to do, as he still has 2 more elements to learn before summer and water training, I think, will end once the invasion begins...

More later as thoughts come together.

--Alexander

#6 Akelexre, Nov 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2005
  7. Tash

Tash Active Member

At some point (probably in the last book), Zhao will try to take over as fire lord, but the fire lord will beat him without breaking a sweat. (They need to do something before the final battle to show that he's a bad dude)

And Zuko's gonna take over the fire kingdom at the end of the series, except he's good now, so the war will end.

8. ixiah

ixiah Nooblet

Yeah. Zuko has redemption written all over him. Once he realizes his father isn't doing whats best for the Fire Nation, he'll most likely join forces with Aang. Also, I'm also thinking Zuko might replace his father as the new Fire Lord when Aang defeats him. Although I'd preffer Iroh to be the new Fire Lord.

But I'm wondering if Ozai really is the villain (or the other Fire Lords before him after Roku died)? Why's he trying to take over unlike the other Fire Lords that ruled during the past Avatar cycles? Thats asuming there weren't other wars before. And if there were past wars, would it be possible that other nations, other than the fire nation, would try to dominate whenever an Avatar dies since they are without an Avatar for at least 16 years?

I was so sure Haru would join them in their travells after that episode. But I guess he's that type of character in RPGs that only joins up permanently with the heroes after the second or third meeting. Usually because they're very strong.

I really like that guy because I think Earth Bending's the most stylish of all the other arts. A little slow, yeah, but they own in defense and range. Not to mention its unlikely anyone'll survive being hit by a flying 1 ton boulder.

9. Akelexre

Good thread so far guys, let's keep it up.:)

Other random notes:

--Anyone notice we got our first real hand-to-hand combat in the Katara/Water Mater fight scene? So far Avatar has mimicked hand-to-hand by having the characters fight slightly out of strike range and exchanging blows in the form of elemental strikes, but Katara got in there and was throwing straight up Gong Fu* punches (and kicks) like I used to practice in Wing Chun class. Perhaps this is their way of slowly breaking in and getting Nick used to the idea of airing real in-close combat. That allowance would have major reprucussians (sp?) for Sokka, as it might allow him to finally contribute something to the team (I'd figure he could take care of any non-bending people and he'd probably stand a chance against even benders if he could get in close and make it purely hand-to-hand).

--You guys bring up good points with Zhao = probable traitor/Zuko = eventual good guy. Zhao reeks of ambition and it remains to be seen how much control the Firelord has over his people in the field.

I wonder. Something will have to happen to make Zuko understand how truly crappy his dad is. The only thing I could think of off the top of my head is for the FL to do something to General Iroh. Zuko is a fighter and a military man, so he won't care too much about philosophical/moral arguments, and having him bear witness to, say, a destroyed village (by the FN) wouldn't help either. ANd since Iroh is the only other human being he cares about in a positive way, *I say in the next book Iroh will die then Zuko will switch sides.*

Yes, I am committing to that. :eek:

Oh, hey all: any word/clues as to *who* exactly the Princess is engaged to? We didn't really meet any strapping young lads in the NWT (Northern Water Tribe) who might qualify, I don't think. But this is obviously a major plot point that needs discussion.

Later,
    Alexander

*Just for a heads up, "Gong Fu" is the proper romanization of "Kung-Fu."

10. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

I know I`ve said this before, but there is a key thing that makes me wonder about why mastering all four elements is so important.

Just because you are strong in each dosen`t mean you are stronger overall. Ang has been beaten before and tied with zuko. In theory, wouldn`t it be more practical to just be very strong in one or two?

Someething leads me to believe that Mastering all four elements will lead to a new type of bending or other type of power that will help Ang. I think it may be a sort of "ligtbending"? and of course that would leave room for shadowbending for future enemies after the war.

11. Tash

Tash Active Member

From what I've gathered, it's the only way to control the "avatar spirit". (hence why roku was able to summon it at will, but Aang can't)

12. I.R Joey

Iroh dying just may be the catalyst for Zuko changing sides.

As for the benders in the opening, yeah it's possible that each of them are Aang's teachers (with of course the last one being Aang, though if it's true it probably should be Monk Geiotso). Though I'm still leaning towards Boomie being the one who teaches Aang (he's probably the Earthbender Aang knows the best). But of course if they do an episode where Boomie is seriously injured or killed by the Fire Nation then that might be a factor in Aang's motivation to beat Ozai.

My brother noticed that the fire bender in the opening seems to be female. Could this person be the girl who was standing next to Iroh while Zuko was fighting the Fire Lord (who the creators have revealed some infor about)? It occures to me that we haven't met any female fire benders in the show yet.

13. Tash

Tash Active Member

Does anyone have a screencap of the shadowed Earth/Fire benders in the opening?

14. Akelexre

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#14 Akelexre, Nov 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2005
  15. Darking

Darking Packing Heat

You're all going to think I'm nuts, but I really don't trust Avatar Roku. Yes, he's Aang in a past life, but he also seems to be his own person. What if Roku got that deserter to train Aang before Aang was ready *precisely* to shake Aang's confidence about Fire?

What if Roku wants Aang to rush his training because a poorly trained Avatar is easier to defeat than a well-trained one?

What if Roku was the mastermind behind the entire war?

16. Dakkoth

Dakkoth Science Fiction Author

Ok, not sure about the entire series (meaning I have no clue what is going on in it), but I did watch two episodes this weekend and really enjoyed them. I'm going to put this series on my list to watch.

Now, back to your speculation thread. :D

17. Bearpod91

Bearpod91 I still have a moving avatar!

Wow I was just thinking the same thing after watching last weeks episode. But really, would it be true? First off, when I was thinkin about this I had like an hour long debate and got a final answer. What if Roku made the rain and heavy water currents when aang ran away? Maybe he had the plan to have the fire-lord become a king of some kind. But really this is just unusual for the Avatar. That's the thing, being the avatar and mastering all the elements means that you have this wise characteristics about yourself and with that you cannot be a dark evil type character. I think that we'll find out that Roku was a part of the beginning of the Fire-lords glory but truly a fight with Avatar vs Avatar as the last episode because he needs to defeat the true reason for the fire-benders attack? Well...wow...:cool: I would love that but still it'll probably be a giant fight with the Fire-lord instead...one less Avatar.

18. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

I`m a little confused about how the reincarnation thing works here. How can Ang be Roku's reincarantion if they seem like separate people, are adressed that way, and can talk to each other?

Maybe the Avatar Spirit is something separate from their soul, like an added power instead of totaly tied to it. Maybe The avatar spirit/power itself keeps showing up in another race when it dies but that person's soul dosen't?

19. ixiah

ixiah Nooblet

I don't think Roku has any bad intentions. For all its worth, I think he's the reason why the Fire nation COULD NOT take over while he was still alive. When he died and the avatar moved on to the Air nomads, the Fire Lord decided to take advantage and start a war before the Avatar reaches 16. Probably also the reason why they attacked Air first hopping to kill the Avatar before he comes of age.

Also, Roku isn't just Roku. All the other Avatars before him are part of him. I doubt he'd be foolish enough to be selfish and put the Fire nation's interest before the other elements.

At least thats what I think.

#19 ixiah, Nov 21, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
  20. I.R Joey

Check out the Thanksgiving marathon. They're showing every episode so that people are caught up for the season finale.

And I don't think Roku is evil, after all he warned Aang about the comet coming right? None the less we really do need an episode that flashes back to the start of the war. To explain how Roku related to Fire Lord Shozen, and if he has a personal stake in the war.