"The Office" Season Eight Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Space Cadet, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Space Cadet

Space Cadet I'M SWEATING Moderator

[​IMG][​IMG]

The eighth season of the critically acclaimed series airs tonight at 9 PM Eastern on NBC. This season will have to do without Michael Scott, as Steve Carell left the show last season. How will the show hold up without the main character?

Episode 8.01: "The List"

Writers: B.J. Novak
    Director: B.J. Novak

2. OnePark

OnePark גורל

Wow, Robert California is a great negotiator - talking someone out of their job. Hey, Andy is the boss! I *hope* this stays, I love Andy, and I always thought he'd be a good boss. Dwight's on a plank-killing streak - So glad the show took a stab at this... stupid, stupid trend.

The list would scare me too if there was a new boss around, and I hope Andy didn't screw himself over by asking about it.

Andy showed he could be an excellent boss - good on him.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2011
  3. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

That was just bad. I fear for this show's survival...

4. Tanooki

Tanooki Supplexing disease since 1982.

Agreed 100%. I like the concept of Robert California, though. That's why I was looking forward to watching The Office again now that Michael Scott was out of the picture. But, Andy as the boss? I was more hoping that Jim would just kind of be thrust into the position. I thought we'd get a lot of good comedy with him in charge. But with Andy, I'm just not feeling it.

Sorry, NBC. I love Community. I like Parks & Rec. But you won't get my viewership past that until 30 Rock comes back. (And I only moderately like that show.)

5. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Robert California's alright, but I feel he'll quickly wear out his welcome. Andy as manager is boring, but to be honest, most of these characters at this point are boring. I've defended this zombie of a show for long enough, I felt last season was great closure, but no amount of celebrity cameos was going to save it from mediocrity...

6. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

I don't really hold the same extreme cynicism towards this show like some posters do but I do agree that The Office is losing steam.

A lot of what made the earlier seasons gold was Micheal Scott's near idiot savant leadership and watching Jim and Pam gradually become a couple. Both those things have run their course with Steve Carrell's departure and Jim and Pam on their second child. While I love the development of the secondary cast I don't think it's enough to carry the show for more seasons. This season seems to be dealing directly with Andy's confidence arc which was prevelalent during the previous season so I hope that runs it's course. The main thing I want is for NBC to get a clue and properly retire this show before it wears out its welcome. A lot of you feel it already has in the last three or so seasons, but since those season's involved, Jim and Pam gettiing married, having their first child, and Micheal and Holly finally hooking up I don't agree.

Now we're at a crossroads since there is no major character arc to hold the show together, at least not one that will keep us tuning in consistently. Mainly I think Andy, Erin, Dwight, and Angela have potential arcs that need some closure (and possibly Darryl) but outside of that all this show needs is a good decent ending.

O-chan

7. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator Moderator

Why is Gabe back? Who thought that would be a good idea? Was it even explained why he's back? I suppose he just tags along with whoever is the CEO but still...why bring Gabe back?:sweat:

8. Chaos Yoshi Mage

I think I would have loved to see those characters have closure ages ago, but they're no longer interesting. Personally I thought the season before last wasn't that bad, it was just annoying that they had to keep reversing all of Michael's character development to keep the show "funny". Last season started really bad, though, but once we got back on track for Holly and Michael's relationship it got good again.

I wondered what was up with that too. Clearly the writers just brought him back because he's the Scranton Strangler...

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword! Moderator

I didn't think it was that bad. What I'm getting at is that it's been a long time since I've had sympathy for Pam, and as she was tearing up there....wow. She almost ruined it with that one egotistical line ("I'm the fat mother!"), but great performance otherwise.

10. Chaos Yoshi Mage

I couldn't feel to much sympathy since she was crying at random stuff like that dog commercial for that insurance company. Couldn't take any other emotional outburst seriously after that...

11. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

I actually kinda enjoyed creepy James Spader. No, he's no Michael Scott, but from what I've seen so far, he'll suffice as a replacement.

Still not sure what to think over Andy being the new RM. I dunno; I guess it doesn't really matter, since Michael held the position for seven seasons (and he's, arguably, dumber than Andy), but still; it just feels weird seeing one of the long-time underlings being bumped up like this. I guess I can, at least, take comfort in the fact that they didn't give it back to Jim, if nothing else.

...all in all, I don't really see what everyone is in such a tizzy over. It wasn't a great episode, but I enjoyed it for what it's worth (I found the bit where Toby walks out of the "winners" lunch surprisingly funny, as well as Creed being written down as "old man" on Robert's list).

Yeah, that part bugged me as well. I specifically remember from the season finale last year that Jo told him he was supposed to head back to Florida. Not sure what he's doing here now, but I was pretty disappointed to see him back. What can I say? Gabe is lame.

12. OnePark

OnePark גורל

Gabe said in the finale last season he is still the main liason with the Scranton branch. So expect him, but hopefully not as much.

13. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator Moderator

Ah I remember him going down to Florida but not the part about being a liason. Still it was really weird and slightly creepy. Especially the random shot( during one of Pam's outbursts I think ) where it showed him looking at her and that was it. Any other time he was just sitting or walking in the background like a zombie. I think it'd be funny if that's all they did with him for awhile is just have him show up in the background but not say a word like their own weird version of Where's Waldo.

14. Chaos Yoshi Mage

I didn't notice either of those, they sound funny though.

15. mumbo

mumbo Look skyward

The problem is Robert California's a gimmick character without much longevity. The show keeps telling you over and over that he's so odd and fascinating, and when he was on last season's finale he was pretty interesting. On only his second outing, though, I'm already getting bored with him. I don't even want to imagine what I'll think of him by the end of the season.

Andy's the logical replacement for Michael because he's the character most similar to Michael. Actually, I felt like during the episode Andy was being written exactly the same as Michael - you could totally take every line he said and feed them to Steve Carell and it would sound like the normal Michael Scott. So then you basically have Andy turning into a poor man's version of Michael rather than being his own character. That's a concern I have, and while it's not totally justified yet I saw it creeping into this episode.

16. suss2it

suss2it New Member

I think this was a good episode. Loved it when Dwight dealt with all the plankers.

17. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney! Moderator

Stanly has got one joke, and it's hilarious. Sorry, but you can get a lot of mileage out of that joke.

Got a bigger laugh out of Kevin's warning though.

Dwight is about to explode.

Bob California brings a weird sexual energy to the office that I thought we lost from not having Michael and Ryan together.
    But he spreads it around more.

Andy, I don't know.
    He ended up showing some spine at the end.
    Mostly I've been interested in his relationship with Erin and how his clothes have become more colorful.

From last seasons interviews, my favorite candidate was Donna from Doctor Who. She did have mad office skills and Dwight should be in the same universe as Doctor Who.
    My least favorite was Jim Carrey, who I was looking forward to seeing, but when he got on the show it just sucked.

I thought Will Ferrel did a really good job as Micheal's replacement. If only Jim hadn't coma'd him.

Truth be told, Darryl may be better off in the end with his can of pop.

I kind of feel the same way, O-chan.
    It's a talented group of people working on the show, but the old story lines are pretty much played out and they need to find new ones.

Yes, the Scranton Strangler has been on my mind too.

18. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

Eh, I was never expecting much out of him, tbh. You knew he wasn't going to be Michael's replacement anyway (they couldn't pay him enough to do this), so it makes sense that his cameo appearance wouldn't be anything to write home about.

At the time, I think Will Arnett was probably my favorite guest star from last seasons finale. His scene was short, and he didn't really have a lot of great lines, but for whatever reason I still thought he was funny ("That's a verbal trademark. That's an agreement"). His delivery was spot on, IMO. As an Arrested Development fan, I kinda wish he had gotten the nod myself... buuuuut he already had his own series in the works, so you knew he was just there for vanity as well.

...anyway, I'm fine with Spader. His character is pretty unique, and I'm definitely interested to see where they take his whole "winners and losers" angle as the season goes on (I'm still inclined to believe that whole thing is just being used as a motivational ruse or something. I mean, come on; how do you take one look at Kevin Malone, and deem him a winner?). Unless it starts getting really bad, I'm in this for the long haul.

19. Discloner

Discloner Spooned to death

Wasn't terrible - though it was fairly generic. It had the same ol' beats that a usual Office episode has (Oh no something distressing happened, but the outcome makes everyone feel good - then Jim does something cute and Pam gushes a bit), so there weren't any real surprises in terms of where the story went.

That aside, my only really big complaint is the explanation of Spader's new role as CEO. For me, it's the least believable thing that has ever happened on the show - and nothing is gained over it's bizzare nature. He just...went to Florida and took over Kathy Bates' gigantic printer company and its subsidiaries...after talking to her? Would have preferred a bit more of a segway there...or something with substance that made it an event, rather then a side note to explain why James Spader is there - but not always there.

I'll give it a shot. Really I thought the episodes without Michael Scott last season were going to be terrible - but they wound up being fun episodes lead by the entire cast...so, hopefully they can keep up with that.

20. Chaos Yoshi Mage

I would have loved Will Arnett, to be honest, too bad he's on another new show. Wonder how long that one will last...