1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Nintendo Switch" News and Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't recall that statement, but that's a fair point. I'd just rather be hopeful that they'll do something else for their handheld system line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

One of the main problems with Nintendo systems is they can't support two at once. So if there's only one system they have to support, then they can focus all their energy on one thing and there won't be long droughts. They'll also get their usual handheld third party devs to make games for it. Also most people only buy one Nintendo system, which is always the handhelds. So if Nintendo only has one system, then everyone will buy that one thing.

But if I was Nintendo, I would have made the console PSVita sized to make it more portable. I don't see anyone whipping this out on a bus or on a long line.

3. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Would you be interested in a Switch mini like some people have suggested as a successor to the 3DS? I love my 3DS so I definitely want to see it continue to be supported for a few more years.

I don't see the Switch as a handheld. It's a portable home console, which is kind of merging both handhelds and home consoles. As Nintendo said however, the Switch is a home console, first and foremost. Despite what some people are saying, Nintendo is stating this as a home console. That doesn't mean it doesn't have similar functionality has a handheld. But it's mainly a home console you can take on the go.

If Nintendo made a smaller version of the Switch tablet that is more portable than the home console version, backwards-compatible with 3DS games, and can still play Switch games, I'd be all for it. It doesn't take away from the Switch, but at the same time, it continues Nintendo's handheld line.

4. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey, the Wii U was technically a home console you could take on the go:

[​IMG]

5. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

You know what I mean. The Switch is meant to be easily portable. Anyway, I'm sticking to my Wii U and 3DS until the Switch has a proper install base and a strong game library. I want to focus on what games I have yet to complete or even get like Kirby: Planet Robobot, that came out earlier this year, or Pokemon Sun and Moon that's coming out soon. If any of you guys have a 3DS or Wii U, will you keep playing them after the Switch comes out?

6. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

We don't know what the launch window software is going to be, or how frequently games will come out.

Also, there is a glut of Wii U's going on eBay for bargain prices (with 5-6 games). It's not going to be easy to unload older hardware.

7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I could go with a Switch mini as a successor to the 3DS, especially if it does play 3DS games as well. They really need something with backwards compatibility with their previous handheld system. I agree that the Switch is more like a home console with some mobility. The fact that Nintendo is emphasizing that does give me the impression that they still have plans for their handheld system rather than combining the two together. It would make business sense to combine their two systems, especially when their consoles have been struggling more than their handheld systems for awhile, but I think it also makes sense to keep the two systems around for fans of both kind of systems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Nintendo is obviously only saying that the 3DS will still be around because they want to keep selling pokemon sun and moon for as long as possible.

anyone else remember when they said the DS will not supplant the GBA?

As soon as those two games run their course the 3DS will be dropped.

9. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Not exactly since they have announced and unannounced games coming to the 3DS next year, plus multiple Japanese titles that could be localized. At the very least, 2017 will definitely have a decent amount of titles.

I think the DS' popularity led to the Game Boy line's retirement. But Nintendo has to see how the Switch does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't think that Pokemon Sun/Moon are the only reason they made that statement. They obviously do want people to get Sun/Moon and those are the biggest title coming out this year to boot, but if that was the only reason, then I don't think that they would have quite a few announcements for 3DS game for next year. The 3DS is still getting support. It's obviously showing its age, but I don't think that they're going to drop the 3DS like they've done with the Wii U. It could easily get another couple of years of support before they stop putting out new games.

Besides that, I still don't see them putting whatever other games Game Freak has in store for the seventh generation onto the Switch. For the most part, they've kept each generation on the same system. Even though the 3DS was already out for awhile, we didn't get B2/W2 on that system as opposed to the DS for example. So the chances are pretty good that the seventh generation will remain on the 3DS as opposed to being divided between the two systems. Doing that probably wouldn't be the best idea anyway given that the Switch can't read 3DS games and Pokemon does rely on communication between players, as well as being able to transfer Pokemon from older games. Even if the Switch does replace the 3DS, I wouldn't expect a main series Pokemon game to land on there until they're ready for the eighth generation, which won't be for at least three years if the span of the last two generations are any indication. That would give them enough time to put out some more support for the 3DS, while also allowing time for fans to get the Switch/whatever new handheld system that could come out or waiting for the price to decrease for said system. They normally wait a couple of years before putting a main series Pokemon game on a new Nintendo handheld system anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

• Like Like x 1
  12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I've been way behind at playing around with Mario Maker, and it's not a given Smash Bros will be out for Switch yet. For those reasons alone I'd keep the Wii U around. It's also my only means to play older Wii stuff. Until & unless Switch boasts a lot of digital eShop content, I imagine I'll keep Wii U for my window into Nintendo's history up to this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Nintendo confirms this was another rumor. Until Nintendo says so themselves, I'll continue to wait and see. I have a few Wii U games I missed this year anyway like Pokken Tournament and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE that I'd like to get. The first half of the year had a solid amount of Wii U games even though a lot of people seem to forget because of the sparse second half.

14. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Good to know. Dang haters and their wishful thinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Ubisoft Chairman and CEO Yves Guillemot cheers on Switch:

https://www.facebook.com/YvesGuillemotOfficial/posts/313807772323015

Meanwhile, from the rumormill in regard to Switch's release date: Laura Kate Dale is hearing the week of March 17.

#115 GWOtaku, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As disappointed as I am realizing this, It'll make since for the Nintendo Switch to not be a touchscreen. That works great for handheld, but how would that work when it's hooked up to the TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Do you have a Wii U? That's got a touchscreen controller.

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So it'll be a touchscreen in portable version only? Will you have to buy a touchscreen controller for certain games? They should've shown that in the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, but you didn't have to stick the Wii U into the dock to use the Wii U system is the point I think. The touchscreen on the Switch would be a little useless for at home play, so I don't see how any games could require it without either of @Dudley 's suggestions above.

20. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

From the rumormill: based on sources and retailer listings in Canada and the UK, Nintendo Switch is being estimated at $249 and $299 for the base console and a version with more storage and some kind of game bundled in.

If that is true, the launch price is $50 below where the Wii U was at, $50 more than a Nintendo 3DS XL today, and the same price as the Nintendo Wii and the original 3DS when they launched.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/11/report-uk-retailer-game-to-price-nintendo-switch-from-199-99/