1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Nintendo Switch" News and Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Mar 17, 2015.

1. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I think I read somewhere that retailers wouldn't be able to order new Wii U units after December or something like that, but I don't have a link to back that up so don't take it for granted. It might have been UK retailers now that I think about it...

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That sounds pretty likely to me given how both the Wii U and 3DS systems have been received. I'm not sure why the Wii U was doing so poorly, but it does seem like they're moving away from that system for the Switch. The 3DS does have a lot more support and the idea that it will have its own successor later in the future makes sense. As cool as the idea of merging their console and handheld systems sounds and it does make business sense as well, the more I thought about it, the more I thought that they'd be putting all of their eggs in one basket. The Switch would have to do extremely well for it to make up for only being one system for this generation. It already looks like it could get some good sales given its gimmick. If they can get some solid titles around the launch date or shortly afterwards, then it will probably do at least fine, but I don't know if it could do well enough to justify losing their handheld system sales. Plus, I didn't factor in how losing the duel screen and touch screen would have a huge impact on handheld games at the time. Not to mention not being compatible with 3DS games would be a huge problem if that was the only system Nintendo was pushing for this generation.

The 3DS does seem to have a bit more life to it and I am glad that it seemingly will get its own successor in the future. I'm much more of a handheld player than a console person for multiple reasons, so as cool as the Switch looks, I just want a regular handheld system to play my games on. At least the Switch might be more possible for me to get compared to the other consoles since I could just play it as a handheld system instead, which might be handy whenever they put out a Pokemon game for that system or anything else that catches my attention, but I'm just hoping that the 3DS has another few years left of support before they move onto their new handheld system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

The source of that tweet is really dodgy to say the least. The original untranslated Japanese tweet isn't even online anymore.

If the 3DS is going to get a successor, it's going to be a smaller, cheaper version of the Switch.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As long as that smaller cheaper version of the Switch is compatible with 3DS games and has duel screens with one of them being a touch screen, I'd be fine with that too. I just want to still have a regular handheld systems since pretty much all of my favorite systems have been Nintendo's handheld systems. I could just play the Switch as a handheld system and I will if I do ever get one, but not being able to play my 3DS games on the system and especially losing the duel screens would be a hard loss for fans of the 3DS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. D-nice is the man.

I saw the trailer and I was personally Impressed by it because it showed the product of what it can do first and foremost a lot better than when the Wii U did. I do like how the Controllers detach and you can Use the Joy Con Grip as a more Traditional Controller, I will (if i get to purchase the thing) the Split D-Pad, but i don't think it will be a too big of a deal, and the Joy Con controllers can be used as 2 Player Local Multiplayer though it might be too small for some hands. I also think the Pro Controller looks a bit more Mature and Sleek too, i really like the design for the most part. The Best Part about it is that Nintendo is Marketing it as a Home Console first, then a Handheld. You can essentially play all the games with the Console in the Dock with out ever having to remove it from the back, simply playing games like a Traditional Home Console.

What I am concerned about is How Powerful is that NVIDIA gpu? I'm sure it's decently powerful otherwise, Third Party Developers like Ubisoft, or Bethesda wouldn't say mostly say positive things, and will third party devs still support it. It's all up to Nintendo and their Marketing Strategy to make sure this system can sell decently enough so the Third Party Developers can still support it for the long run. Another thing price, i think i needs to be sold where it can't sell at a loss, so I think that around $249-$299 would be a reasonable price, if the starting price was over $300 i don't think it would be selling that very well. So that's my personal opinion on the Nintendo Switch.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This isn't confirmed yet, but a current report states that the portable screen is indeed touchscreen, but in order to emulate that on the TV, at least one of the Joy-cons will have an IR pointer function, like it was done with the Wiimote.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...ight-joy-con-offers-ir-pointer-functionality/

This would make sense given some of the sources come from Ubisoft, which have confirmed Just Dance on the Switch.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Via Youtuber KingAveryGames, This seems instructive...he's been posting size comparisons measuring Switch against other controllers and devices.

https://twitter.com/KingAveryGames/status/789865689473490944
    [​IMG]

https://twitter.com/KingAveryGames/status/790248915111116801
    [​IMG]

https://twitter.com/KingAveryGames/status/790214320231702528
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

You left out the one that surprised me.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

I saw a post on tumblr earlier today (couldn't grab it because I was on mobile) with several mockup color/character schemes for the switch created by a fan. A lot of potential a la 3DS variety, like Mario, Kirby, Zelda, etc. No doubt Nintendo will release special edition versions like they did with the Wii U white, black, and Zelda versions. (I have a feeling more special edition gamepads would have been produced, had the system taken off better than it did.)

10. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

If they were going to make it that much larger than the 3DS Xl, they might as well have gone all the way and used a 7 inch screen.

11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

On the horizon: Nintendo has officially announced a "Nintendo Switch Presentation" for January 12, 2017. Expect to learn much more about the console's features at this point, and perhaps the launch titles as well.

Edit: here's their formal statement.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-reveals-plans-for-nintendo-switch-presentation

• Like Like x 3
    #91 GWOtaku, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  12. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

• Like Like x 1
  13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Miscellaneous Nintendo Switch hardware facts:
    • Eurogamer has confirmed that Switch has a 6.2', multi-touch screen. Every Switch game can be played with the Joycon controls or the Pro controller, with the tablet in the dock. In other words, touch controls are not integral to any game (unless something like Mario Maker gets ported over, that is).
    • Via Let's Play Video Games, Switch supports Micro SDXC cards and will not support external hard drives, which is to be expected for a console meant to be mobile and easy in a way Wii U was not. Storage expansion up to 128 gigabyes is reported, though keep in mind that officially Nintendo supported SD cards up to 32 gigabyes for 3DS while cards of greater sizes also worked. It could prove to be a similar situation for Switch.
    • For context on the above, the WSJ's Takashi Mochizuki says "Looks like standard capacity of Switch game card at least when console launched would be around 16 [gigabyes]; enough for one-layer Blu-ray game."
    • Switch will not replace the 3DS. Nintendo's President: "Thanks to our software, the 3DS hardware is still growing. So that business still has momentum. And certainly rather than being cannibalized by the Switch, we think the 3DS can continue in its own form." This aligns with Emily Rogers' reporting that the 3DS is likely to be supported through 2018.
    • Nintendo will not sell Switch at a loss (this is common for Nintendo). It plans & expects to move 2 million units at launch (the fiscal year ending in March, to be precise). Wii U moved over 3 million in its first 6 weeks.
    • Finally, also via Let's Play Video games, Switch uses what's called a USB-C port for power on the bottom of the handheld. It can't charge when it's propped on the kickstand. Here's what this means in practice:
    For those interested in the inside baseball, this is a remarkably detailed account of where NX / Switch "rumors" came from and, consequently, why past and future reporting from the usual suspects I point to is likely to be reliable.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

• Like Like x 1
    #93 GWOtaku, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Switch not replacing the 3DS is a huge relief for me. The Switch does look cool and I might get it myself at some point, but replacing the 3DS with it just caused more problems for me the more I thought of it. It would just be difficult for a lot of fans to lose 3DS support and losing the duel screen would be a huge hit for a lot of developers as well. That also makes it much more likely that they'll have a new handheld system to replace the 3DS down the road, especially when the system is still getting support well into next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

The 3DS is in definite wind-down mode. Aside from Pokemon, most of the upcoming games for it are late localizations of existing Japanese games, cheapie spinoff fare like that Pikmin game, and equally cheapie ports of Wii U games. Basically the same kind of output as other Nintendo systems in their twilight.

If the 3DS gets another Miyamoto/EPD 1st party game, then we can talk about the Switch not replacing it.

Also, the 3DS is supposed to carry Nintendo's entire holiday season this year. Of course Kimishima isn't going to tell everyone to abandon ship before Black Friday.

#95 Leviathan, Oct 28, 2016
  16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I'd venture we can probably expect a 3DS successor in 2018 sometime. 3DS is obviously an aging system, and it's a fact sales have slowed down. Still, the end of games for it isn't what I'd call "soon", & not without reason, as the install base for that is very substantial.

Kimishima's words do make me question whether, say, the next Fire Emblem and Pokemon will turn up on Switch or some other platform meant to be a more portable system that runs on the environment driving Switch. I guess we'll just have to see.

While Switch is being billed as a home console you can take anywhere, the rumormill has its battery life at approximately 3 hours on its own. That is about as low on the low end as you can go on what we'd call a portable handheld (this is one good reason the screen is 720p. Beyond 1080p being superfluous at this size, it'd murder the battery)

Personally, I'd just as soon see literally everything on Switch. The idea of Fire Emblem with presentation + the evolved gameplay going for it gives me chills.

On another point, for the life of me I can't find the tweet now, but I could have sworn I saw something a week or two back saying 3DS game cards and Switch game cards are different sizes. Which means that 3DS cards flat out can't fit in Switch (I think the issue was that 3DS cards are a bit smaller, so you can't put one in and remove it again). This doesn't mean that games from it won't turn up on the eShop later, though. The multitouch screen is, in theory, a sign they want it able to play nice with DS-family stuff in addition to mobile device software.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    #96 GWOtaku, Oct 28, 2016
  17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not denying that the 3DS is an aging system or anything like that. I'm just saying that it seems less and less likely for the Switch to replace their handheld system completely, which I'm happy about for multiple reasons. And it's true that they wouldn't want people to jump ship from the 3DS when all of their biggest titles for this holiday season are on that system, but even with that in mind, I think it's telling that they made it clear that the Switch isn't replacing the 3DS. I can see the 3DS getting support for at least another couple of years, especially when I'm positive that the seventh generation will stay on this system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

So it has a touch screen but nothing will use it. What's the point of having a touch screen then? Are they sure this isn't going to be Wii U version 2? Are they going to try and sell us games we already bought in the Wii U eshop for use on the Switch? Gotta make up for those losses somehow...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

The multitouch screen enables compatibility with past titles for starters, although I doubt that's the extent of it.

Nintendo is deflecting questions and keeping its cards close to its chest on this point, but I expect we'll find that Switch is meant to bridge the gap between the console and mobile space and support any number of apps. If the goal is to break into the wider market the way Wii used to, then there's no getting around the necessity of competing with tablets.

20. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

Then again, they also made it clear that the DS would co-exist with the Game Boy line.