1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Nintendo Switch" News and Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Mar 17, 2015.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

For @Mandouga, the source of that feature list posted by @MDawg traces back to reporting on Emily Rogers' blog. While not every detail has been officially confirmed by Nintendo, today's video and news aligns with that and Eurogamer's reporting perfectly. The MVPs of Switch reporting are basically Rogers' blog, Laura Dale over at Let's Play Video Games, and Eurogamer's article in July. Those who thirst to know what you can expect, read those three linked in this paragraph. They did their homework, got good sources.

While it is true Nintendo has not announced exactly what's going on with Splatoon and Mario Kart on Switch, IGN astutely notes that there are subtle elements in both that do not exist in the Wii U titles. Whether these amount to updated ports or actual sequels is unclear, but there is a difference.

As for Skyrim, indeed, Bethesda has acknowledged its role in the Switch trailer but is not yet officially confirming any games or franchises.

This said, I think this is probably about timing more than anything and that using Elder Scrolls for this wasn't a mere whim. Skyrim is very believable, the question is whether it'd the remastered edition coming on other consoles or something close but a bit distinct. I suppose Elder Scrolls Online is also possible for something from that franchise. There's probably an intent to announce all titles from a specific company all at once, at a time agreed upon.

We'll see what happens. There's a lot of time between now and March still. Today was about no more or less than finally confirming this thing and establishing the concept. Software will come later. Nintendo hasn't even dropped a hint about its own lineup at launch.

But yeah, they aren't just being cute. A huge chunk of the video ends on Splatoon and eSports. Mario Kart is evergreen. Splatoon was a bright spot in Wii U's lifespan. They're not done with those, you can take it to the bank.

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just realized that if this is the successor of the 3DS, then going back to one screen may affect quite a few games. A lot of games for the DS and 3DS utilize the touch screen. The Switch may still have a touch screen as part of the portable device, but only having one screen may still affect other games, especially if it is compatible with 3DS games. Granted, I'm also thinking of how the touch screen was a key aspect in the last few Pokemon games, so I'm a bit worried about if we lose that. They haven't released a lot of information on the Switch, particularly with the technical aspects, so I could be panicking over nothing, but the thought crossed my mind.

At least the 3DS will still get support for awhile. They did announce new games up until next spring and I could see some more games coming out throughout next year or so. It might be a bit longer depending on their plans for the new Pokemon generation. Even with the Switch being announced, I don't think that they'll move over to that system with the main series anytime soon. They'll have to slowly reduce that support to focus on the Switch, but at least it will probably be a gradual pace and the 3DS still has a good amount of life in it.

3. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

That's what I love to see in Nintendo hardware. The distinguishing feature is unique, but isn't going to be a detriment to game development (looking at you, Wii U gamepad).

We're going to need a version of the left Joy-Con with a proper D-Pad though, if for nothing else playing NES and SNES games on the go.Nintendo has already established modularity with this thing, so there's no excuse to not have as many options as the market will bear.

Other than that, bring on the games. Really excited for this.

4. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

5. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, but the pro controller is meant for TV configuration. I'm talking about the portable form. It'd be really hard to play 2D Mario with the current four-button style.

6. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

Ah, I get your meaning.

It's doable in a pinch, as anyone who's played PC platformers on a keyboard will tell you. But yeah, there's so much potential for pack ins with this console, they'd be crazy not to take advantage.

7. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

There are some confounding factors that could change their plans. For one, this could be the first Nintendo handheld to not be compatible with it's predecessor's software, as you suggested. It'd be confusing from an ignorant consumer standpoint if the latest Pokemon games couldn't be played on the latest Nintendo hardware like Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Black 2 and White 2 could.If they're exclusive to the 3DS, Sun and Moon will only have one holiday of relevance.

Also, Pokemon GO has given the franchise the highest profile its had in years, so there might be an internal drive to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.

I could totally see an early remaster of Sun and Moon if the Switch can't take 3DS carts.

#67 Leviathan, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  8. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The differences with those games is that most of those systems were rather upgraded versions of previous systems rather than brand new ones like Switch is. Aside from Crystal, which I believe was made exclusive for the GBC, all of the other games could be played on the previous systems with no problem. You didn't have to have a DSi to play B2/W2 or a GBA SP to play Emerald, so the comparison might not be the most accurate there. As far as Pokemon Go goes, I was under the impression that its popularity has significantly decreased. To be fair, it was surprisingly huge and it is still pretty successful for an app game, but I'm not sure if they'd be able to grab that popularity for the franchise with the Switch now when the fade has died down considerably.

I'm also not sure if the games will have only one holiday of relevance. I fully expect for the seventh generation to stay on the 3DS. They normally don't start on one system and then end the generation on another one. They also tend to wait a couple of years or so after a new console has been available before putting out a new main series Pokemon game. Getting a main series title on their sooner would certainly help boost sales for the Switch, but I don't know if Game Freak would be able to do that when they've been working on Sun/Moon for quite awhile. Not to mention they were able to put the entire fifth generation on the DS despite how the 3DS was already available at the time, so I see this in a similar kind of situation to that.

The idea of remasters for Sun/Moon if the Switch cant' take 3DS carts sounds plausible, but at the same time, I'm not sure if they'd do that for a couple of reasons. If they were planning on getting Switch versions of Sun/Moon, I'm pretty sure we would have heard about that by now. I don't think that having a 3DS and Switch version announced would significantly hurt the sales for the 3DS games, especially when the 3DS games would be out well before the Switch versions would be in this case. While it is possible that the Switch won't be compatible with the 3DS, I'm hoping that I'm just worrying over nothing about that since that would be a huge problem for fans of the 3DS. Not to mention it would mean that you couldn't transfer Pokemon from your 3DS games to the Switch generations. It's a bit concerning, but I'm hoping that there is still someway to connect the 3DS and Switch if this indeed the successor of the 3DS. One theory I've heard is that they could have a Switch handheld system specifically for handheld, but it still plays the same games as it does on a regular Switch system. I'm not sure how likely that is when this seems to be designed as a hybrid console/handheld system from the start, but that could be one way to potentially resolve some issues with compatibility between the two systems.

9. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Don't count out the 3DS (or an eventual successor) dead yet. According to Nintendo, the Switch is "home gaming system first and foremost." They go on to say there hasn't been an announcement regarding the 3DS yet.

I hope they do stick with a true portable line. Yes, the Switch can do it, but the screen is a tad large for any sort of pocket-based portability unless you want to carry a larger bag around everywhere you go. I mean Nintendo more than anyone has gotten the home/portable gaming systems environment down properly. It'd be a shame to see them fold up shop on one of their reliable standards for this.

10. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That does give me a bit of a relief. As cool as it would be to see a main series Pokemon game made for a console system like the Switch, it would be kind of hard to make it compatible with the 3DS games and losing the touch screen would be a heavy loss given how a lot of DS and 3DS games have used that function. The Switch does look cool and combining their console and handheld system would make sense, but if they are still planning on having a pure handheld system as a successor for the 3DS, I'd be perfectly happy with that too. That would give the 3DS more time to shine and make it more likely for the handheld system to be compatible with 3DS games. It does sound like they could be going in that direction if they want to emphasize that the Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost and go out of their way to be clear that they don't have an announcement on the 3DS yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Agreed. I want to wait and see how the Switch turns out, but it's looking good. Plus, I love my 3DS, so I'm definitely more into handheld gaming right now.
    I'm definitely pleased to hear this. The 3DS is great, and I'd love to spend a few more quality years with it before it ends. Something Wii U owners aren't really getting the chance to do unless you count the first half of this year, Paper Mario: Color Splash, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild as the Wii U's parting gift to system owners.

I'd still like to see a 2D Metroid, a fast 3D Sonic game, and something for Kirby's 25th anniversary on 3DS (if there isn't a game planned for the Switch next year). Otherwise, games like Pikmin 3DS and Lady Layton have my interest as well as likely localized titles like Monster Hunter Stories.

And I agree about the Switch not being the kind of handheld I like. It's more like a tablet in terms of its portability.

12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Wall Street Journal reporter Takashi Mochizuki tweets about Switch from the last 24ish hours:

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

IGN has more information direct from Nintendo.
    • No confirmation on the Switch's screen being a touchscreen

• Like Like x 1
  14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

on Splatoon and Mario Kart, a flashback to April:

http://wccftech.com/nintendo-nx-receive-multiple-wii-ports-4-coming-rumor/

[​IMG]

Rogers today:

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's not surprising that the Switch can't read 3DS cards or Wii U discs, especially the latter given how it looks like Switch games are small carts, but it does make me more hopeful that they have something else planned for a 3DS successor. Not having that backwards compatibility would really hurt fans of the 3DS. I've always liked how their new handheld systems could still work with the previous generation of games, like how the DS could still run GBA games or the 3DS can still play DS games. Fans not being able to do that with their 3DS games on the Switch would be really disappointing. Given the success of their handheld systems, especially the DS and 3DS, and that they're still giving good support for the 3DS for the foreseeable future, that does make the idea of a more direct 3DS successor more plausible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

That's interesting, because King Boo wasn't in Mario Kart 8, nor could you keep more than one item in reserve.

If these remasters are going to have new content, all I have to say is, bring on the return of Ice Climbers.

17. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

In any event, Leviathan, Nintendo still hasn't confirmed anything. Until they actually say that a new Mario Kart game is in development for the Nintendo Switch, anything else is just speculation from an unofficial, second hand source (no offense to her).

On the other hand, Light Lucario, I was wondering about backwards compatibility, to be honest. Famitsu* is a mainstream Japanese publication, so that's more reliable, especially of Nintendo themselves talked about it. In any case, I'm sure they'll find a way (other than digital downloads, of course). For that reason, MDawg, in my personal opinion (i.e., don't quote me; this is just speculation on my part), it will likely have a touchscreen, and if so, any (3)DS games would likely be displayed in "vertical/portrait" mode (as opposed to "horizontal/landscape" mode, which games like the Brain Training, Style Savvy, and Rhythm Heaven series would support).

*Incidentally, the name comes from "Famicom Tsuushin" which was the magazine's original name when it first started out covering the original Famicom (AKA: the original NES).

18. defunctzombie

Staff Member Moderator

Why would this person even bother putting Zelda in that list, there goes their suspense. It was already confirmed to be coming to the Wii U. If it wasn't, that would be Nintendo's ultimate screw you to the consumers, even more than the new 3ds malarkey.

19. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

At the time, Zelda was not announced for "NX" yet. Its place on Wii U wasn't in question. It was mentioned with others for a thorough accounting of what was going on in development then.

20. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

And yet, she was right as rain about the Switch. Her scorecard is way up. It's not hard to believe she's likely right about this too.

Remastering MK and the others early in the Switch's life makes perfect business sense. Nintendo would have their biggest multiplayer franchises on the Switch early on, instead of having to wait years for sequels to be developed. Nintendo would be able to make money a second time on essentially the same assets and code.Also, the Wii U was killed by its first year drought and game delays, and having enhanced ports to plug into the release schedule would go a long way in fixing that.