1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Nintendo Switch" News and Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

2. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well that should be an interesting announcement to wake up to. It should hopefully settle any rumors around the system. Although, it is funny for me since I just got a New 3DS XL to get the Sun/Moon Demo and they're announcing a new system tomorrow. Granted, I won't have to worry about getting another new system until they get some new Pokemon games on it or something like that, but it is kind of funny and strange timing like that for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Introducing the Nintendo Switch!

• Like Like x 1
  4. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

5. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Confirmed games (All titles tentative)

- New 3D Mario
    - Mario Kart 9
    - Splatoon 2
    - Skyrim
    - NBA 2K17

And partners:

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I notice DeNA on there. What do you want to bet Super Mario Run will work on Switch? Maybe everything else mobile too.

That was Skyrim in the video?! Cool. Might bite if it's the updated one (and if load times aren't awful. PC clobbered consoles on this in original Skyrim). .

7. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

This is what Nintendo needs to do. They're resources are stretched too thin to make both portable games and console games, and one side makes much more money than the other. This way they can focus on one system, and since it'll be the only one, it will sell well.

I'm excited for the new 3D Mario game. It looks great.

I think those were ports of the Wii U games.

8. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Normal Controller.
    Console Portable hybrid.

Skyrim Remaster (if mod support, would be icing on the cake)
    New 3D mario seemingly more like 64.

THEY'RE DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT

What's next, announcing Paper Mario: The Ten Thousand Year Door and Metroid Prime 4 for Switch?

9. MDawg

I told myself I'd take a reserved approach with anything Nintendo puts out, but dammit all!

[​IMG]

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Play Nintendo Switch in public, get girls!

[​IMG]

11. MDawg

12. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's essentially what was rumored months ago as it is the 3DS successor and the Wii U successor. The name "Nintendo Switch" instantly makes me think of those switch blocks from the Mario games, so I'm guessing the next Mario game should have switch blocks in it.

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Nintendo's announcement post does some explaining on how the Switch works (and also includes a full 3rd party list, which I won't quote since the infographic does the job). Launch titles and release details are still TBA, though of course the announcement video reconfirms March 2017.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/first-look-at-nintendos-new-home-gaming-system

14. Zeether

Zeether Victory!

I'm sold. I lack an HDTV so the portable mode is extremely useful, and when I do have access to one I can bring the dock with me. Very cool idea.

15. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

I can already image all the web comics strips about this things battery life when it comes out.

16. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I skipped out on both the Wii U and the 3DS (and pretty much the entire previous generation of games) but this has everything I'd want in a game system by not having me choose between a handheld and a console! Maybe hopefully Kingdom Hearts can be on the console too.
    For a long time, I've considered getting into Let's Plays. This seems like the best console to do it with!
    Oh man, that means eventually we'll be able to play a genuine Pokemon game on the TV!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That was a pretty cool trailer. Nintendo Switch rolls off the tongue better than NX and makes it clearer as to what the main purpose of the system is. I do like how the trailer focuses on how useful the Nintendo Switch is on the go. Not only does that help to make the system look more fun, but it's a smart concept to focus on. Having something like a small system where you can play various games, including some of their big hits like Mario and Zelda, on the go and make it easy for other players to use that one system is quite appealing for a lot of people. It's one reason why people are using their phones for games more since it's something they can do while they're traveling.

It's also a hybrid system like the rumors have been talking about, which does make sense as well. It was one of the more prominent rumors that I've heard for the NX and it makes a lot of business sense. Their last few console systems haven't sold that well, particularly the Wii U from what I understand, while both the DS and 3DS have sold extremely well. Combining the two formats together like this does help with not spreading their resources too much, they're able to focus on one system as opposed to do and it can potentially get them more money in the long run than if they were focusing on two systems.

Personally, I'm not that into consoles. I don't have a huge quality TV screen and getting one plugged in would be kind of tricky for multiple reasons anyway. As long as I can just play the handheld version of Nintendo Switch without missing anything major and I don't have to have it plugged in all the time, then I'm fine with them. The latter seems to be the case given how often the handheld version is used outside. You'd probably need to charge it up, but that's perfectly fine and I do that with pretty much all of my systems anyway.

I most definitely won't get the Switch at launch, if only because I seriously doubt that they'll have something that I want to get right away, but whenever they announce a new Pokemon game for the system, whether it's a spin-off title or a new main series game, then that's when I'll get the Nintendo Switch. I do kind of hope that won't be for awhile since I just got a New 3DS and I'd want to keep using it awhile before going to a new system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

The refocus on a standard controller is very nice.

...But I'm not feeling it for this system otherwise. Those games don't do anything to set them apart from Wii U releases. Looks like Nintendo is releasing another half-generation console. The 3rd party support they're bragging about right now will disappear, just like it did on the Wii U.

19. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

What this means is a little over my head TBH, but Unreal Engine 4 support is confirmed via this tweet today:

20. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

No disrespect, Jave, but other than The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (which they revealed at E3), Nintendo never (officially) announced any games in the trailer, just that that's what the system is being called. Until Nintendo makes an official announcement, we have to assume that those are just hypothetical examples of what could (and admittedly may likely) appear on the new system. I'm sorry, but they didn't confirm anything, only that the new system has a name and a look (as well as a demonstration of how you can play on the system), as well as various partners in their press release. I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, I'm just saying. We shouldn't jump the gun. Also MDawg, where exactly did you get that feature list from (Yes, NVIDIA announced their support, but what about the others)? I'm pretty sure Nintendo never mentioned those things in their press release, or maybe you're a member of the press and got it from their press site?

@ GWOtaku: Well, Epic Games was listed as one of their partners, but I wasn't exactly sure what that meant.