1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Nintendo Switch" News and Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Mar 17, 2015.

1. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

NX launches on March 2017.

http://gematsu.com/2016/04/nintendo-nx-launches-worldwide-march-2017

2. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Releasing it worldwide in March 2017 sounds consistent with a handheld focus, to replace the 3DS as Nintendo's main handheld. A Pokemon game might be released very early this time around, to accelerate the transition. The system might be named something entirely new, much like how "Game Boy" was replaced by "DS." Like many of the rumors out there, I expect this to be a fusion of a console and a handheld.

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Considering that Sun/Moon are going to be for the 3DS, I'm not sure if they'll have another Pokemon game for the NX, or at least not a main series title. Granted, we know next to nothing about Sun/Moon other than their titles and vague release dates, but I think it would be too early to put out another main series game on the new system. They usually wait awhile before putting a main series game on the newest handheld systems, but we'll have to see how that roles out.

I'm not sure how I'd feel of the NX actually does turn out to be a fusion of a console and a handheld. I'm sure a lot of people would like that and it does make sense business wise too, but I don't think I could afford both a console and handheld system combined like that for various reasons. Plus, I've always been more of a handheld player, so while having access to console games would be neat, I prefer the affordability and easier access of their handheld system and I don't know if I'd want the two to combine into one system.

4. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Kimishima is adamant that the NX is not going to replace either the 3DS or the Wii U, which implies it's going to be both a console and a handheld.

I'm certain Game Freak knows something we don't about Nintendo's next handheld. Up until now, every late Pokemon game has been playable on the next generation of hardware (Yellow on GBC, Crystal on GBA, Emerald on DS, Black 2 and White 2 on 3DS). Pokemon games have long legs, which traditionally carry across generations.

Either the next handheld will take 3DS carts, or Game Freak will remaster Sun and Moon for the NX handheld.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure how that's going to work or how I'll feel about getting a console and a handheld in one system. If I have to, I will since I want to keep playing Pokemon and other games from Nintendo, but if that really does happen, then I'm not sure how that will work out for me financially. Although, if I'm misunderstanding the rumors here and I can still just get a handheld NX without needing a console NX to go with it, then that would be okay.

I'm leading towards the former rather than the later at this point. Considering how successful the 3DS has been, I really doubt that they'll make a new handheld system without making it take 3DS carts. I think not being able to play GBC games on the GBA was a big mistake, especially when that meant Pokemon players could transfer their Pokemon from the first two generations and they haven't made that mistake with their brand new handheld systems again. The original DS could play GBA games and the 3DS/2DS systems take on DS carts. The NX will most likely be able to take 3DS carts, but possibly not DS carts. Their handheld systems usually only cover one of the previous systems, not two, but I could be mistaken. It would make it more likely for D/P remakes to end up on the NX probably in the next generation.

Plus, I'm not sure if they'd want to remaster Sun/Moon for the NX. I could see them making some kind of continuation of Sun/Moon for the NX, but I don't know about making two versions of the same pair of games for the 3DS and for the NX. I think that traditional third versions are gone, which is good for many reasons, so maybe having sequels or some brand new stories unrelated to the first games in the generation for the NX would be possible. That would be more likely than the first Pokemon main series games for the NX being D/P remakes at least.

6. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Eurogamer put out a rather interesting report today of what to expect out of the NX.

The whole concept is really interesting and finding a way to unify portable and home gaming if done right could work well. The downside of course is the lack of backwards compatibility since they're moving over to carts, but I'm hoping they at least have some sort of compensation to digital buyers if they actually are going to be putting out NX upgrades of Wii U games.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It sounds similar to the Super Game Boy or the Gamecube's Game Boy Advance Player, except you wouldn't need both that accessory and a Game Boy. The Super Game Boy added color at a time when the portable games were black-and-white (or more green-and-black on the original Game Boy). And cartridges sound like a step backward here. Then again, this is the same company that decided to use carts for the N64 and then saw the Sony Playstation 1 CD-ROM based games overwhelm their lineup in the 1990s. If this is the NX, it does not sound much more impressive than "improved 3DS with a connect-to-TV function like the PSP had."

8. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If nothing else, this is a good move for their first party lineup. Nintendo's been putting out games for two distinct platforms and environments in one way or another since the Gameboy. Now all effort and resources are going one way, for every franchise. The next Fire Emblem? HD. The Pokemon after Sun and Moon? That too. Animal Crossing? Oh yes. Etc, etc.

As for backward compatibility, sometimes tech just has to leap forward and it can't last forever. I imagine there will probably still be some kind of loyalty award for virtual console. As for Wii U, it's possible there will be some ports. But at this point, there's not a substitute for just having one if you care that much about the library and / or want as much access to the company's back catalog as possible (though keep in mind, it'll be easier to stock up on the NX in the long run. SD card > hard drive, assuming it supports that).

I thought Zelda would be my final Wii U game, but I don't know about that now if it's out in March. Over and above NX's inevitably superior specs, seriously: pretty hard to say no to taking a dazzling game like Breath of the Wild on the go. We're talking about a quantum leap forward there, even compared to a first-rate 3DS game like Link Between Worlds.

This reminds me most of Playstation Vita, an incredibly versatile and powerful piece of machinery dragged down by the fact it had so little to offer you couldn't do on the "real" Playstation. It was in competition with its own cousin. But NX doesn't have that problem, it just gets to be there by itself.

#28 GWOtaku, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  9. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I really don't see this fully replacing the 3DS/dedicated handheld line. Unless Nvidia works a miracle, battery life is gonna be the killer here. Add to that, just how "portable" will this portable unit be? Am I gonna be able to put it in my pants pocket and go about my day or is it portable in the sense that I can put it in a little bag and have to tote it about?

I really do hope Nintendo can fix the issues of lack of major third-party support (yes, I know all about their indie dev program) with this one. Maybe the Nvidia processor means it'll be easier to cross-develop with PC, which would help out greatly. Nintendo was already supporting the Unity engine, which a number of devs already use, so that's a good step in the right direction, but wider support is a must, especially if it won't be an equivalent of the PS4 in terms of power. I like my first-party games, but I also like proper third-party stuff too. A proper balance is needed. So far all we know is that Project Sonic and Just Dance 2017 are the only officially announced NX games from outside parties (DQ X and XI are only "under consideration" before you ask about those and the odds of X getting an English-language release are probably low anyways given that it's an MMO). They need to storm out the gate with a slate that will knock everyone out of their socks, not one of their usual muted Nintendo releases that take forever to get up to full steam and only offer promises and platitudes with desert-like spans of time between good game releases. This has to be huge.

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Counterpoint on the handheld question: The 3DS has turned five this year. If it is not supplanted next year, it will be time for that soon after. Meanwhile, let's flashback to 2014 from when Satoru Iwata was still with us (emphasis mine), and keep in mind how the Wii U's sporadic release schedule has been considered such an issue:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/li...02.html?_ga=1.209299410.1167384205.1469557704

Admittedly, Iwata leaves it open on whether all this means releasing one console (a "form factor") for the next time or not. But it's also left as a real possibility.

We can only speculate on the exact specs and the battery life, by Eurogamer's own admission, although they've made an excellent educated guess. But, the Vita was no slouch and could apparently handle 3.5 to 5 hours. If NX can at least match that, it ought to be enough. Or in fact, if more battery than that is achieved in exchange for less output on the go than on your TV, somewhat akin to the difference between the Wii U gamepad's off-TV play and its TV presentation, then so be it. A small price to pay for versatility.

#30 GWOtaku, Jul 26, 2016
  11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

More speculation fuel: the Wall Street Journal was calling the portable aspect in October of last year.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-begins-distributing-software-kit-for-new-nx-platform-1444996588

Then there's this on the machine's power, from Emily Rogers in May. Worth listening to considering the bit about not using x86 architecture was right.

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/05/13/so-about-nx/

#31 GWOtaku, Jul 26, 2016
  12. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

Nintendo was pretty obviously stretched thin from having to develop two entries for every franchise, and they've said as much. Ideally, the merging of console and handheld means instead of having to make a Mario Kart 9 and 10, they can make Mario Kart 9 and something else.

Rumors are suggesting that Nintendo is going to go with either the Tegra X2 or a custom chip derived from it. The X2 is supposed to be more power and battery efficient than what's on the market now.

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Some good news on the game front. In part of a larger piece on Ubisoft over at gamesindustry.biz, they let it slip that they have more planned for the NX beyond Just Dance:

This is far from the first time Ubisoft has given positive talk about the NX, but so far as I know it's the first time any word has been given about multiple titles planned. It's worth recalling that Ubisoft was the rare third party that gave Wii U a major exclusive (ZombiU), understandably stopping there when the game fell short amid the console's sluggish start. Hopefully there can be a better story this time.

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

From the rumormill: Nintendo NX apparently has some kind of distinct Pokemon title on the way for its launch window, and more besides:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

15. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I have my doubts about the Pokemon game for the NX, or at least that Game Freak is involved with making it. Game Freak only works on main series Pokemon games and while we could get another main series game within the six months after the NX launches, I don't see it being on the NX. It would seem a bit early to jump to a new system right after getting Sun/Moon for the 3DS. They normally wait until a system has been out for awhile before putting a new Pokemon game on it.

I have heard people wondering about a Sun/Moon port for the NX, but I have my doubts about that too. It makes sense to do that with the new Zelda game since I believe that the two versions should be coming out around the same time. The NX won't come out until a few months after Sun/Moon do, so I don't think having an NX port for the games would make much sense. Not to mention I'm pretty sure that they would have mentioned that already if they had plans for a Sun/Moon port. Some kind of spin-off game for the NX would make sense, but I don't think a main series game would.

16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

The Pokemon game could be anything. Pokemon Sun / Moon, Pokken Tournament, bloody Detective Pikachu - all out this year (the last one Japan only, but still), all things you could point to and describe as a "Pokemon game" and not be wrong.

Pokemon Stadium comeback anyone? *crickets chirp*

17. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A remake for Pokemon Colosseum would be awesome. Pokemon Stadium would be neat too. A Pokemon Snap game for the NX would be great since a lot of people have wanted a new Snap game for ages.

18. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

A port would make sense if the NX is a clean break from the 3DS in terms of backwards compatibility. It would hurt sales of Sun/Moon if they could only be played on what will be obsolete hardware.

It'd be unusual for sure, but so is Game Freak starting a brand new generation on the eve of a hardware transition (Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Black 2/White 2 were part of their respective gens).

19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure if Sun/Moon being on the 3DS would really hurt its sales. Even if the NX doesn't have backwards compatibility with the 3DS, I don't think that means no one would touch a 3DS again. Plus, I have heard that pre-orders for Sun/Moon in Japan have been doing well, but I don't know how much of that is confirmed. I'm also pretty sure that Black/White were put on the DS well after the 3DS was already announced and Nintendo was transiting to the 3DS. I remember pretty clearly that people were both upset and surprised that Game Freak was sticking to the DS for two whole generations at least.

Besides that, they kind of had to put Sun/Moon on the 3DS. They obviously wanted to start a new generation in order to further celebrate the 20th anniversary, which they couldn't really do on the NX since it comes out next March. I still think that if there was some NX port, we would have heard about it by now. It's not impossible, but it just seems pretty unlikely to me for multiple reasons.

20. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

For whatever it's worth, there is widespread expectation we'll be hearing something about the NX by Nintendo's investor meeting next week. Some had suggested an announcement this Friday (coincidentally the 5th anniversary of Nintendo Direct presentations), but we are two days out from that and there's been no word. Take how you will.

Some tidbits from Emily Rogers:

There's also some interesting rumor that Beyond Good and Evil 2 will come out for NX, not unlike the situation with Bayonetta 2 and the Wii U. This feels at least somewhat plausible to me, when you stop to consider that Ubisoft is developing it and that they've been the loudest voice about NX to date.