The "Nintendo Switch" News and Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Mar 17, 2015.

1. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

Live stream of the direct:

2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I don't know everyone else, but I'm really excited about finally getting Nintendo's arcade games. You Tube (predictably) is full of "Where's Virtual Console?!" comments. I even saw one comment that said, and I quote: "'I want this'-no one".

For the love of Baer*, people, these are Nintendo's ARCADE games, which have never been re-released before until now. Now, while they didn't mention the three Donkey Kong games, I hope they will release those as well as Mario Bros. (which is coming in just two weeks). To put it another way, I hope that it isn't just the problem with Mario Bros. that's been taken care of. I really do hope it also covers the three Donkey Kong games as well.^

* For those who don't get it, I'm referring to Ralph Baer, one of the pioneers of video games as we know them today.

^I refer of course to the problem with Ikegami Tsushinki, who developed all four games (and possibly others) on Nintendo's behalf (I don't think they made any of the "Vs." games, though). That said, these games are going part of the "Arcade Archives" series, which comes from a third party company called Hamster, so they may have been the ones to take care of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Doom is headed towards the Switch!? Doom is headed towards the Switch. I feel obligated to apologize to Nintendo now for doubting them.

Also Octopath Traveler is maybe the game I'm most excited for and I feel buying a Switch only for that, and then there's still Metroid Prime 4.

Also I am pleasantly surprised Fire Emblem Warriors is also headed towards the 3DS, I wish this news was headed during the E3 conference but whatever, that's water under the bridge at this point.

4. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Quoted for truth. As someone who around when Nintendo was making arcade games, I am looking forward to some of the titles that were announced today (i.e. Mario Bros., Punch-Out, and Balloon Fight, which does have some noticeable differences between the arcade and hone console version).

Meanwhile in terms of games not appearing in the video, these arcade games are on my wish list:

• Arm Wrestling
    • Duck Hunt (where you finally give the dog what's coming to him :D )
    • Sky Skipper
    • Super Punch-Out

5. Mandouga

Regarding Duck Hunt: you'll fail the bonus round if you do ("SHOOT THE DUCKS, NOT ME"!). Just saying. Besides, I'm sure Nintendo didn't mean anything malicious by having the dog laugh when the player misses the ducks (or the clay pigeons in the arcade version; in the NES version, he doesn't appear at all in this mode).

Also, we shouldn't expect Nintendo's Popeye arcade game, since that one is a license.

As for amiibo in Super Mario Odyssey, it looks like only the three "wedding" amiibo do anything other than just give hints. In other words, don't expect Mario to have, say, a furry animal outfit with a red tie, or a green outfit with pointy ears and a sword...

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I wish, but as far as Nintendo is concerned, Sky Skipper doesn't exist. They made a prototype, but after some testing decided not to mass-produce the machine. Only an Atari 2600 port got out.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If you're wondering exactly how Vs. Super Mario Bros differs from the original, this is useful. It's basically Mario 1.5, with harder difficulty and new stages that got brought in for Lost Levels later. Warp Zones aren't the same either.

https://www.mariowiki.com/VS._Super_Mario_Bros.

8. Mandouga

So while the 2017 Nintendo World Championships themselves were cool, and all, my least favorite part was Reggie teasing (yes, "teasing") a new announcement of some kind (complete with sound effect bleeps)...only to not follow up on it after the end. I guess you could call it a cop out Reggie's (and Nintendo's) part.

Long story short, I hope Nintendo talks about this new thing, whatever it is, at some point.

Also, I was kind of hoping that the game used for the finals would be some kind of previously unannounced new game, but I'm not too disappointed; not really...

9. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

There will be a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct tomorrow morning at 9AM ET.