The "Nintendo Switch" News and Anticipation Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Mar 17, 2015.

1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

New core Pokemon game coming to Switch. Possibly over a year away.

New Kirby game in 2018

METROID PRIME 4 IN DEVELOPMENT!

Rocket League is coming this Holiday season with cross-platform play and Nintendo custom items.

• Like Like x 1
    #301 MDawg, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  2. MDawg

Showing off the Skyrim/Link amiiibo feature.

Teasers and amiibo for the upcoming Zelda DLC

3. MDawg

Mario Odyssey is coming October 27 of this year and the trailer looks spectacular!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Oh, brother. Metroid Prime 4? Long story short, Retro Studios have had their fun, but I'm not going to even bother with this game. Not after what happened last time, namely with the unlockables that require another copy of the game (and another Wii system) just to unlock them at all. Plus, the game overall made it clear what Retro Studios really wanted to do, but was thankfully unable to thanks to Nintendo's intervention. Generic first-person shooter or not, it's clear that Retro would have otherwise made any of the games un-Metroid like. I'm sorry, but in my personal opinion, none of the Prime games are canon (anymore). If anything only the first three games count (Metroid: Other M was both a supposition, as well as a question to the players about what direction the series should go in). Metroid Fusion? That's another story.

As for the new Yoshi game, I'm going to need to look into it a little further. Yoshi's Wooly World was okay, but without a guide, it honestly feels like I'm fighting the game rather than playing it, with it not always being clear where some of the flowers, special yarn balls, and stamp coins are, and the game punishing players for messing up by making it impossible to 100% some levels (namely by completely filling your heart meter) if you go through some checkpoints, forcing players to avoid them...and then having start from that point after taking "an enternity" (i.e., several minutes or more) to get back to 100% (one level blatantly even prevents this very thing, resulting in the "one strike and your out" problem...). Yeah, TBCH, I'm hoping that neither Good Feel, nor Arzest (Yoshi's New Island) are involved with this one...

Other than this, I thought the presentation was all right, though I admittedly was kind of hoping for some news about Virtual Console (which may or may not be saved for later; we'll have to stay tuned), but I'm not too disappointed.

5. MDawg

New wedding-themed amiibo to go along with Mario Odyssey are coming.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Nintendo E3 Spotlight opinions:

Strengths:
    • Nintendo made sure to show off some of their plans for the Switch in 2018 with Kirby and Yoshi.
    • Core Pokemon game and Metroid Prime coming to Switch.
    • Xenoblade Chronicles still slated for Holiday 2017.
    • Super Mario Odyssey being a birthday game for not only me, but also quite possibly for my niece.
    Weaknesses:
    • Still feels lacking in terms of triple A third party titles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MDawg

Retro Studios aren't involved with MP4.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

Then what is Retro working on? Development on Tropical Freeze was already finished in 2013, why has Nintendo been so secretive with them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I kind of wish that they didn't announce a main series Pokemon game for the Switch right now. Doing so shortly after US/UM were revealed might make people lose interest in them or push them to the side while waiting for the Switch games, even though it's only in development and may not be out for awhile. Plus, I could avoid saving up for Switch awhile longer. At least there are other games I can get for the system like the new Yoshi game and Pokken Tournament DX, but I was really hoping that there would be some other system for games like Pokemon instead. At least I can still play the Switch like a handheld system, which I'll be doing whenever I do get it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

This main series Switch Pokemon game likely won't be out until 2019, going by the usual cycles between generations. You might be waiting a little longer, Light Lucario.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

Kirby and Yoshi were huge surprises, Super Mario Odyssey looks pretty great, and Metroid Prime 4 was an amazing dream that many people didn't think would come true. I didn't see Rocket League coming either. The Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Fire Emblem Warriors trailers were fantastic! It's pretty crazy that we're getting a mainline Pokemon on Switch after all. On top of that, the amiibo for Super Mario Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors look really interesting.

I can't believe we're finally getting Metroid Prime 4... :D:D:D

I totally hear what you're saying, but many people want Nintendo to go all in with the Switch. After the response to the Pokemon Direct, Nintendo/Game Freak/The Pokemon Company surely wanted to ease the fans. I agree that some people will skip Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon now but the new Pokemon game for Switch is still at least a year away.

I understand hoping for a new portable for Pokemon, but I think it's nice to have everything one on system. I don't have a Switch, but after seeing the Nintendo Spotlight, I certainly wish I had the money for it. Maybe I can get it next year or early 2019. I don't want to wait too long, so Nintendo doesn't move on to the next system a few years after.

12. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Nintendo really learned from their experiences with the Wii U. They hit it out of the park.The Switch is shaping up to have a very stacked first couple of years.

I'm particularly surprised that Metroid came back with a vengeance this year. This really makes up for the bad spot the franchise has been in these last several years, though I do hope the Switch gets a 2D Metroid.

I hope we hear about Smash sooner rather than later. As it stands, every big Nintendo franchise has been released, dated or confirmed for Switch except for that, Animal Crossing and arguably Donkey Kong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Nintendo really knocked it out of the park this year.

Kirby and Yoshi look really fun, Metroid Prime 4 has been a long time coming, Pokemon is potentially awesome, and Mario Odyssey looks downright amazing. Those new gameplay features.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's definitely a possibility. We don't know how far they are in development, but The Pokemon Company did reconfirm that the game won't be seen for more than a year. Each generation lasts at least three years, so 2019 would be a reasonable start, especially when the Switch game is most likely the next generation. People are already speculating/panicking that the seventh generation will only last for two years and that the game will come out next year. It wouldn't be impossible, especially when don't know when they started developing these games, but it seems unlikely that the seventh generation would be that short. Plus, waiting awhile longer for a Switch appeals to me.

I can understand why people wanted Nintendo to go all out with the Switch, especially after the Wii U apparently didn't do so well, but I'm not sure if it was necessary to make this announcement right now. I understand the timing since this is E3 and they're really pushing for the Switch to be successful, but doing this right after US/UM were revealed just kind of bothers me. The backlash is quite similar to how B2/W2 were initially receive. People wanted R/S remakes and/or a main series game on the then new 3DS system. But I don't remember Nintendo announcing X/Y were in development a week after B2/W2 were announced.

With everything that they're having for the Switch in the near future, I don't think that announcing a main series Pokemon game in the works was necessary. It made sense with how much they're promoting the Switch, but a new Metroid game alone would be enough for them to attract more attention for the system. I'm not familiar with that series, although I may check out the 3DS game for the heck of it, but I do know that people have wanted a new Metroid game for years and that game is coming out within the near future.

I can understand that appeal, especially when fans don't have to choose between two systems. I've just been primarily into their handheld systems for so long that it seems kind of weird for a main series Pokemon game to be on a console system. I'm sure it will look cool and people will be excited over it, but it just throws me off. I'll have enough money for a Switch by the time the games come out. Some have speculated that they could make a portable only version of the Switch in time for the Pokemon games' release, kind of like the 2DS for the 3DS. It might be a cheaper version of the system that would make it easier for kids/parents to afford them. While there are cool games on the Switch, I'll probably just wait until either something like that happens or when it's clear that the games will only be for the regular Switch system.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #314 Light Lucario, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  15. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Microsoft and Sony sure tried their best, but then Nintendo brought out a dinosaur in a Mario trailer and won E3.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Given the release dates of Pokemon games recently, I wouldn't be surprised if the game comes out on November 16, 2018.

17. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of unsure about when next generation will start since there's no new event Pokemon for them to distribute next year.

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Metroid was absurdly overdue for some love and Nintendo didn't herald the 30th anniversary in any way (no, Federation Force does not count), so bringing it to 3DS and going back to the last time a home console game for that franchise was critically praised is both smart and the least they could do. Prime 4 will actually be the first game in HD.....yeah. Expectations will be high, but fortunately everything about the Switch era so far suggests they'll rise to meet them. And at this point, some fresh blood developing is probably for the best.

I was hoping for signs of Mario Maker or Smash Bros, but nothing yet. There's plenty to keep busy with even if they don't show, though. Odyssey looks quirky and weird, and I hope they get lots of mileage out of the option to give Mario different costumes.

For a single player arcade-style experience, Fire Emblem Warriors seems like it'll fit the bill as well as Hyrule Warriors did. This will lend itself well to short sessions on the go, since your typical battle almost always takes around 10 minutes.

For some reason people kept doubting Xenoblade 2 for this year but Nintendo led off their video with it. I think that says it all right there. I'm hoping the third time's the charm in terms of gameplay improvements and polish. Less busywork and more smashing in monsters, and I'm good.

Pokemon Switch confirmation just affirms the most obvious decision Nintendo could and should have made. This will compete with Fire Emblem for biggest improvement with the move from 3DS to this platform. Don't underestimate the appeal of Pokemon in HD, a fully realized open world, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It is possible that they could take next year off in order to work on the Switch games. They usually try to push out a main series title every year, but there are some years that they don't.

That's a good point too. It's one reason why I wasn't expecting Marshadow in the upcoming movie since I thought that they'd save it for next year. They'll probably have some new distribution for next year's movie. Even if the games come out next year, it probably wouldn't be until the fall and the new movie with a new distribution would have already happened.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

I'm still far too cynical and jaded to believe the Switch won't end up like the Wii U, and Nintendo will blatantly refuse to learn anything from it or the original Wii...

That being said however, I'd be lying on my face if I said I wasn't interested in buying one after the Metroid Prime 4 announcement. Likewise Xenoblade 2 looks fun, even if I can't quite see how exactly it ties in with the first. The biggest surprise for me was how much fun Mario x Rabbids Kingdom Battle looks, the combat looks solid and dare I say even better than games like XCom.

Even though I'm far too cynical for my own good, Nintendo found a way to inch their way back into my heart.

Their 3DS lineup also looks great, and I'm really happy Metroid 2 is getting love, even if some fans had to light a fire under big N's nose to get noticed.